Search the forum,

Discuss Is this a good boiler?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cslogg

I have a quote from a local plumber who we have used before and no complaints.
The quote is for the replacement of our ancient outdoor wall hung boiler.
He is proposing to fit a Grant Vortex Eco 16/21 and a Adey 22 or Mag 1 Magnaclean Filter.
As I am asking this question you can tell I have no idea about this sort of thing so am wondering if this is a good boiler.He used to service the old boiler for the previous owner so is familier with it.
When he was talking about the quote he did mention something about his firm having some sort of affiliation with Grants but to be honest I missed some of the conversation,but at least he mentioned it.
It is a small family firm.Can I get a better boiler?
I can give you the price he quoted if that helps.

Roy

Ask 10 engineers, get 11 answers!

But I would rate Grant as a good boiler.

Nominated by Tamz and seconded by Ray you really couldn't wish for a better endorsement...lol plus you have used the guy before with good results......regards Turnpin:8:

It is heavily built but yet a simple design and fairly straightforward for service engineers in the future. Efficiency ratings are excellent. Also the cost of them is reasonable.
Grant have been making solid fuel and oil boilers for many years and have a proven record. They developed condensing oil boilers long before they became the norm.
Not built in UK, but I do respect the design and quality of them.

Thanks for the advice,looks like I will go with it then.

Roy

It is heavily built but yet a simple design and fairly straightforward for service engineers in the future. Efficiency ratings are excellent. Also the cost of them is reasonable.
Grant have been making solid fuel and oil boilers for many years and have a proven record. They developed condensing oil boilers long before they became the norm.
Not built in UK, but I do respect the design and quality of them.

I thought they were made in Devises, Whiltshire. Where are they made then?

FWIW I think the Vortex PRO 15/21 is a slightly better build than the Eco model but they are both good and well designed.

You must have the Grant Mag1 filter in order to qualify for the Grant extended guarantee. I think it's better than the Adey one anyway (and easier to fit). I throw away the 3/4" rubber washers that come with the brass pipe connectors and use fibre ones insead as they last far longer.

For goodness sake dont get mixed up with Firebird (unless you want to see a lot more of the plumber in future)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this a good boiler?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install (tank about 1m lower). 10 days later and boiler either doesn't fire or fires stops, fires runs splutters stops. Most it runs now is 10 mins, but that's...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Please help Our Grant Vortex Pro oil combi boiler seems to have developed a drip from some sort of valve where it looks like there's a limescale build up. There is no water at all from hot tap and no pressure in the boiler. The heating works fine however. Is there something I can do or should...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
R
Evening everyone, We've been having some issues with hot water coming from our Grant Vortex 21 boiler (external, oil fired, no cylinder) Water has been getting progressively colder over the past couple of months to the point where the little one struggles to have a bath. The hot water pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock