Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a gas engineer full tool bundle I can buy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Course it is. It's not easy but no one should be gifted anything hence a recruitment process. Paying for these short courses means there is no selection so no competencies are tested prior to the course

I told them I was incompetent before I started, but they were ok with that and set up a monthly DD. :) And my course took about 5-6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I told them I was incompetent before I started, but they were ok with that and set up a monthly DD. :) And my course took about 5

But did you have any Plumbing experience B4 doing the gas ? as the OP has no idea at all of systems, and says he just wants to work on boilers & cookers

I was just wanting to know if anybody knew of a bundle for sale anywhere. Like a starter one I could add to.

If you want to buy something, I mainly use pair of Bahco pump pliers and a small yellow and black adjustable. Use them on pretty much every job. Every plumber also has a r`berger superfire too.

I told them I was incompetent before I started, but they were ok with that and set up a monthly DD. :) And my course took about 5

But did you have any Plumbing experience B4 doing the gas ? as the OP has no idea at all of systems, and says he just wants to work on boilers & cookers

yeah admittedly I`ve had a number of years experience and also previous gas training.

I hope the OP keeps us updated on a regular basis has to how he is progressing through his course, maybe every couple of weeks, could be useful for other people thinking about taking this route, Not sure what the requirements are now for joining Gas Safe, but would they deem a 7mth course as enough experience to work on gas ?? question for you younger guys to answer ! what is acceptable to Gas Safe ?

Ive been told by the staff that once I have my cert in my hand, I can then ring/email Gas Safe, pay the £20 and become registered. I hope its that simple!

Ive been told by the staff that once I have my cert in my hand, I can then ring/email Gas Safe, pay the £20 and become registered. I hope its that simple!

Be more than that

Shows you how good your course is if they think it costs £20 to join gas safe ha

What £20 where do I sign up. Dude do your homework

I told them I was incompetent before I started, but they were ok with that

And you failed.

Says something about the whole setup, doesn't it, where a company can charge you thousands to put you through an exam in which you get two written attempts and then a verbal attempt, and still fail it.

No criticism of you, just the company that led you up the garden path with hollow promises.

I was just wanting to know if anybody knew of a bundle for sale anywhere. Like a starter one I could add to.
I'm an experienced plumber, got my C&G in '82, but I had a real problem with Gas Safe and had to resit the whole course after a 20 year break. I found it difficult, but not an insurmountable situation, and, should you pass, there are numerous ways to gain experience, including working for free alongside a GSR engineer. As you have a weekend job, you might be able to do this but just be aware that there are many pitfalls along the way, and don't expect to earn that much in the first 3 -5 years. I went the self employed route and after 4 years I'm now starting to show a reasonable profit, although I couldn't pay a mortgage with it or pay for my Harley to be serviced (I do that myself anyway).

As for the tools - the list is endless I'm afraid but a good starter kit is available from Screwfix at about £100, all wrapped up in a handy wheelie type case.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tool-kit-aluminium-trolley-case-161-piece-set/8375j

It even has room in the bottom for a few other things that I use daily such as my pipe slices, water pump pliers etc.
I bought it in order to tidy up my van, and because I liked the fact that it's called Kendo (I teach kendo) but it is a good starting point although you will need some bigger spanners, a decent multimeter, Manometer etc etc

Good look with it all and don't listen to the nay sayers - make your own path and just keep going.
Someone in this thread already said it - Even the experienced started somewhere (Or something like that) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is there a gas engineer full tool bundle I can buy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock