Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a gas engineer full tool bundle I can buy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems like a job I'd enjoy doing and I need to get out the job I'm in. If I earn the same salary as I'm on in my current job I'd still be happy. I just want skills and thought this one was best.
Are you a hands on type of person ? have you been involved with heavy & dirty work ? do you have any knowledge of the building industry ? Please don't spend lot of money doing this course if your impression of this type of work is watching someone repair your boiler and you think that this is an easy way to make a living! believe me its not ! it takes years of experience not months, people are under the impression that this job is easy money, but remember get it wrong and people can die ! 24K to start please get your head out of the clouds, You say you have a van and from what you are saying , you intend to start doing some gas work at the same time as you are doing your training ! do you understand that you will be braking the law if you do this ? Asking about tools ! you cant do this job with a screwdriver and a couple of spanners, wait until you have started the course then you will have a better idea of what is required, think in the area of 5K for tools when starting out.

I'm not doing work while training I'm trying to build up tools for the end of my training while I have cash. Yes I am used to hard, dirty AND heavy work that's all I've done I never once said it was easy. If I thought it was a few spanners and screwdrivers I wouldn't be asking about tools!

Last edited:
Just wait until you start, ask the person doing the training what he uses, don't be tempted to buy cheep tools, if you intend to do boiler work then you will need a good analyser , a multi meter just for starters that takes care of 1K , but you find it a struggle doing this job without having knowledge of plumbing systems and controls, most guys on here started has plumbers then over the years progressed in it doing gas work, when I started doing gas was part of the plumbers job, but over the years gas has become more specialized that is why you cant learn to do this job in a few months, will you be earning anything whilst training is it a hands on course or a home study one ??

Full set of screwdrivers
3-4 different sizes of adjustable spanners
spanners
pipeslices
stilsons
pliers
water pump pliers
pliers
mole grips
hacksaw (junior & biggun)
allen keys (metric & imperial)
olive splitter
mastic gun
files
immersion spanners
hammers
wood chisels
cold chisels
basin wrenchs
box spanners
stanley knife
adjustable pipe cutters
selection of wood saws
spade bits
holesaw set
socket sets
core drill set
cordless drill driver
impact wrench
jigsaw
circular saw
sds hammer drill
multitool
pipe bender
bending springs
angle grinder
tape measures
bleed keys
rad tail wrench
blowtorch
heat mat
crowbars
ladders
steps
hop-ups
hose pipes
buckets
dust sheets
carpet protector
towels
gloves
dustmasks
goggles
workwear
tool boxes
storage boxes
vacuum cleaner (wet & dry)
extension leads
van vault
FGA
multimeter

copper fittings and pipe
waste fittings and pipe
solder
flux
screws
silicone
washer kits
o ring kits

public liability insurance (at least ÂŁ2 million)
tool insurance
van insurance

That should get you started

Last edited:
Full set of screwdrivers
spanners
pipeslices
stilsons
pliers
water pump pliers
pliers
mole grips
olive splitter
mastic gun
files
immersion spanners
hammers
wood chisels
cold chisels
basin wrenchs
box spanners
stanley knife
adjustable pipe cutters
selection of wood saws
spade bits
holesaw set
socket sets
core drill set
cordless drill driver
impact wrench
jigsaw
circular saw
sds hammer drill
multitool
pipe bender
bending springs
angle grinder
tape measures
bleed keys
rad tail wrench
blowtorch
heat mat
crowbars
ladders
steps
hop-ups
hose pipes
buckets
dust sheets
carpet protector
towels
gloves
dustmasks
goggles
workwear
tool boxes
storage boxes
extension leads
van vault
FGA
multimeter

copper fittings and pipe
waste fittings and pipe
solder
flux
screws
silicone
washer kits
o ring kits

tool insurance
van insurance

Pencils :builder:

Pencils :builder:

assorted levels
sharpie markers
electrical tape
ptfe
rawlplugs
assorted pipe clips
notebooks
drywall saw
spare blades for knives, saws etc
cup
spoon
paper towel roll
kneepads
radio (DAB)
spare batteries
wet wipes

Full set of screwdrivers
spanners
pipeslices
stilsons
pliers
water pump pliers
pliers
mole grips
olive splitter
mastic gun
files
immersion spanners
hammers
wood chisels
cold chisels
basin wrenchs
box spanners
stanley knife
adjustable pipe cutters
selection of wood saws
spade bits
holesaw set
socket sets
core drill set
cordless drill driver
impact wrench
jigsaw
circular saw
sds hammer drill
multitool
pipe bender
bending springs
angle grinder
tape measures
bleed keys
rad tail wrench
blowtorch
heat mat
crowbars
ladders
steps
hop-ups
hose pipes
buckets
dust sheets
carpet protector
towels
gloves
dustmasks
goggles
workwear
tool boxes
storage boxes
extension leads
van vault
FGA
multimeter

copper fittings and pipe
waste fittings and pipe
solder
flux
screws
silicone
washer kits
o ring kits

tool insurance
van insurance

I find if you can use the :hammer: properly, you don't need the rest.

I understand what your saying regarding the plumbing side of things but I'm just not in a position for training beforehand. I am lucky enough to have a weekend job though in place to support me while I learn.

I understand what your saying regarding the plumbing side of things but I'm just not in a position for training beforehand. I am lucky enough to have a weekend job though in place to support me while I learn.

Without any knowledge of how systems work you are going to struggle doing this job ! what do you intend doing when you have finished this course ? and doing this course still wont let you work on gas, you will still need to do the ACS courses then get accepted on the Gas Safe register.

On a brighter note, there may be an awesome toolkit on Ebay in 12 months!

I would have the qualifications for domestic work but I think my stumbling g block would be experience , the least amount of experience I've came across for a job is a year. That's why I want tools for at least a bit of back up to try and get some work till I get full time somewhere.

Hi Abgash, this is where some people come a cropper. They cant get the practical hands-on experience, so they cannot build a portfolio of evidence and so cannot get registered. Documented hands on experience is necessary to get yourself registered and most people struggle to get that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Abgash, this is where some people come a cropper. They cant get the practical hands

This is what he cant seem to grasp , he seems to be under the impression that by doing this course he will be able to work on gas ! someone seems to be misleading him into doing this course, he has no experience in the plumbing trade, not sure what he is doing for a job at the moment ? But is convinced he will be qualified to work on domestic gas after this 7mth course ! someone needs to have a serious talk with him B4 he throws his money down the pan.

Unfortunately the forum is awash with such people, come on here asking for advice then don't hear what they expect or want to hear. Fair enough, he's only asking about tools but has been given some serious food for thought regarding qualified versus experienced. I was lucky enough to go down the apprenticeship route including 7 years of college and learned more from the blokes I was working with than the plums trying to teach me at college. Anyway, advice given and best of luck to the O.P.

Hi Abgash, this is where some people come a cropper. They cant get the practical hands-on experience, so they cannot build a portfolio of evidence and so cannot get registered. Documented hands on experience is necessary to get yourself registered and most people struggle to get that.
Part of the course is going g out with a gas engineer to build up a portfolio.

Without any knowledge of how systems work you are going to struggle doing this job ! what do you intend doing when you have finished this course ? and doing this course still wont let you work on gas, you will still need to do the ACS courses then get accepted on the Gas Safe register.

At the end of the course I will sit an ACS assessment.

ACS assessment comes at the end of the course. I'm hoping to do boiler and cooker work.

Unfortunately the forum is awash with such people, come on here asking for advice then don't hear what they expect or want to hear. Fair enough, he's only asking about tools but has been given some serious food for thought regarding qualified versus experienced. I was lucky enough to go down the apprenticeship route including 7 years of college and learned more from the blokes I was working with than the plums trying to teach me at college. Anyway, advice given and best of luck to the O.P.

I never asked advice, as you said I asked about tools.

I was just wanting to know if anybody knew of a bundle for sale anywhere. Like a starter one I could add to.

As per the earlier text start your course and see how you go. Many sets will have stuff in you will NEVER use see what works for you

will put is like this

THERE ISNT AN ALL IN ONE TOOL KIT,
THAT WILL WORK FOR ALL YOUR JOBS,
100% OF THE TIME FOR SALE IN A NICE TOOL ROLL

I hope the OP keeps us updated on a regular basis has to how he is progressing through his course, maybe every couple of weeks, could be useful for other people thinking about taking this route, Not sure what the requirements are now for joining Gas Safe, but would they deem a 7mth course as enough experience to work on gas ?? question for you younger guys to answer ! what is acceptable to Gas Safe ?

I hope the OP keeps us updated on a regular basis has to how he is progressing through his course, maybe every couple of weeks, could be useful for other people thinking about taking this route, Not sure what the requirements are now for joining Gas Safe, but would they deem a 7mth course as enough experience to work on gas ?? question for you younger guys to answer ! what is acceptable to Gas Safe ?

even worse 6-7 weeks mate you can get longer ones but there the bare min

as long as your money clears they dont care (gas safe)

even worse 6-7 weeks mate you can get longer ones but there the bare min

as long as your money clears they dont care (gas safe)

6 Weeks ! takes longer to train a dog to sit, No change from when it was Corgi then as long as you have the money your qualified ! Talk about a P--s Take.

6 Weeks ! takes longer to train a dog to sit, No change from when it was Corgi then as long as you have the money your qualified ! Talk about a P--s Take.

yep know an ex fireman who did it doesnt know poo but got a card :D

The experienced were newly qualified once.... Is it even possible to get a gas apprenticeship now? Im sure I couldn`t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Course it is. It's not easy but no one should be gifted anything hence a recruitment process. Paying for these short courses means there is no selection so no competencies are tested prior to the course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is there a gas engineer full tool bundle I can buy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock