Search the forum,

Discuss Is the extra pump and thermostatic valve necesary with a condensing type gas boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eddie3000

Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and I'm popping in to ask this question. Here is my problem:

I'm having underfloor heating installed at home. It's going in a 7cm thick cement screed. The whole house is going to have this type of heating. I have the understanding that the ideal temperature for that type of floor would be under 30ºC. I have seen many manifolds on the internet with a thermostatic valve and an extra pump. Wouldn't that be unnecessary? Wouldn't it be fine to connect my new condensing type gas boiler straight to the underfloor heating manifold straight and set the temperature in the boiler to be 30ºC or less? The installer insists on installing the thermostatic valve and water pump, but I reckon it's not necessay because the type of boiler I have. It would be necessay if the boiler couldn't handle that type of low temperature right? Am I wrong? I think the installer is just trying to sell me the extra kit and charge me an extra 400€.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Is the extra pump and thermostatic valve necesary with a condensing type gas boil

Unfortunately you are wrong, depending on the boiler you have, how would the hw heat above 30?
Also your pump isn't strong enough to pump it round all the circuits

Re: Is the extra pump and thermostatic valve necesary with a condensing type gas boil

The ideal floor temperature may be 30 C, bit you have to have a higher water temperature to achieve that floor temperature.

Without going into design principles re: water temperature, floor temperature and room temperature. I would say that your contractor seems to know what he is talking about.

Your post ( rightly or wrongly ) comes across as if you want fuel to confront the contractor that he is incorrect and you are correct.

It's your house, if you feel confident that you are correct, why don't you specify to the contractor to do what you request, and, if the system doesn't work effectively, that you will be responsible for the cost of rectifications to make it right.

At the end of the day, all the contractor will have to do is add a pump and a thermostatic at the manifold.

PS: get him to run additional wiring required for the additional pump at the time of installation

If you think so badly of the installer do it yourself as you obviously know best...

Installers correct. OP wrong.

You obviously have no confidence in your installer, even though he's right
My advice to you, do more research
My advice to installer, get another customer

Think the op gets the point now.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is the extra pump and thermostatic valve necesary with a condensing type gas boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock