Discuss Is retraining a realistic preposition? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I've just returned from volunteering in Africa for the past 7 years where I was undertaking a lot of construction based work, and was thinking about retraining as a plumber/heating engineer.

I am thinking about looking at fast tracking the process (with Access Training) so I can get working as quickly as possible to support the family. However, having read stuff on the forum it sounds like Access are not great and even if I do complete and get my certificates I would probably not be able to find a job afterwards.

Can anyone suggest the best way, and quickest, to become fully qualified and get on the job ladder, if this is actually a good idea!

Hi Brad.
Why plumbing?
If you want to be good at a particular trade fast then maybe plumbing is the wrong choice, it really does take years of experience to be competent, then more years until you're what most would call good.
I'm jealous of the money and lack of responsibility of some of the other trades.
If I had my time again and I wanted to get into a trade fast and earn quick I'd choose plastering or tiling, those guys have practically no outlay and earn as much if not more per hour than plumbers.
If I'm doing a full bathroom, the tiler comes in for one day out of the 4-5 days I'm there and earns a much higher day rate than I do.
If he messes up he can go back for half an hour and sort it, if I mess up I can flood a house, if a gas engy messes up he could kill someone.
Don't get me wrong - I can earn well if jobs fall right, but that doesn't happen as often as I'd like.
If you are determined then maybe look at a company like bg and see if they have trainee roles that could pay you a wage as you learn. And you'd automatically have a job at the end of it.
The C+G and NVQ quals I got just gave me a very limited knowledge of the basics, it's when you're facing real problems day in day out that you really start learning.
The fast tracks may teach you how to solder in a training environment and teach you how to work out bends on graph paper just like the C+G does (or used to do) but employers won't see it like an established qualification that is usually accompanied by years of work in the trade.
There's nothing stopping you taking a fast track and setting up your own business but it's tough going for the first few years and that's if you're a time served plumber who can work fast and good. If you're green out of a fast track with no/limited practical work behind you it's gonna be tough as hell.

I think most find getting a job at the end of a fast track course very difficult.

How did you support a family while volenteering?

Unfortunately job, qualified and quick shouldnt appear in the same sentence.

If you have read the numerous posts on the forum then you should have a good idea what works and what doesnt.

It's all about sacrifice. Time, Money, Effort.

Thanks for this very helpful.

Why plumbing? Good question. I've been in the construction industry for some time, initially labouring and then dry lining and finished up as a building surveyor/site manager. Then when we moved abroad, I've had to undertake a lot of practical work on setting up houses for ourselves and team mates. I also helped with training young men in different areas of construction.

Plumbing and carpentry are two of the areas that I have done a lot of in the last few years and quite enjoyed the process, although frustrating when you can't get good tools or materials!

I know a guy who in his thirties, just decided to do plumbing.
He had a certain aptitude for it, so basically worked with another plumber for a few months and then went on his own. He read lots and researched lots.
Has worked for himself for a few years now, and seems to be doing ok. Has had no training. Just picked it up.
Training can’t give you aptitude, it’s just there! If you have it , that’s all you need when your a bit older.
Doing gas is o different thing. You will need training for that.

I was 31 when I decided to retrain and I went to Access to do it.
They get you through, they don't want people to fail (obviously) but it is very difficult to fail there, if you know what i mean.
Having said that its fairly basic in terms of practical application. They teach the essentials with some theory. Soldering, small bathroom install, vented system, some steel work and a bit of fault finding.

Long and the short is, its an intense short course to give you a taste but the real learning is out in the field, which they admit. As one said above, if you have the aptitude and willingness to learn its never too late but as I've found, its probably best to do the course and then start as a plumbers mate and pick up as much as you can before going it alone.

Reply to Is retraining a realistic preposition? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back