Search the forum,

Discuss Is my new boiler any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manly man

hi guys!!

my old boiler broke down last week:( so I got a plumber that has done some work for us in the past. he told me fixable but work cost a package to get it down and the parts maybe hard to get in this weather(it was an old floor standing job).

anyway he told me he could fit me in a new boiler quickly as i have a young child. now nominally I would get quotes and do a little research for big job like this but could not mess about in this weather.

now i know nothing about plumbing, so was wondering what you guys think?

now to give him his due, the garage was about -7 when he was installing it and my wife was winging about being cold. so i not expecting it to be miracles as he had to do it quick and in sort notice...but was just wondering if the boiler(intergas) is any good and is it pipe up right?

btw he is coming back to lag it as there is a shortage at the moment?

I judge much on neat pipework and it looks good to me. But then I don't do gas so maybe a methane bloke could help better.

you have had it done,he fitted you in if anything the pipes need lagging,gas looks close to the other services but hard to tell half decent boiler your wingeings about what exactly??????

Plastic is ok. Quick and easy to do. Condence is fine on a steady slope. Wiring looks a bit pants but we are plumbers! Pipe work looks fine but low down the wall, lowest pipe is about 2 foot from the boiler. Nothing wrong with it as it is in the garage at all. Could do with spacers behind pipe clips to get the lagging right round the pipe without any difficulty and leaving it open to the eliments. As long as you are happy with it.

As said spacers would help with lagging.
I would have done condensate in 1 1/4" in gagage , especially through wall to outside (if thats where it goes)
That pipe stat aint gonna do much on a plastic pipe

speedfit should be at least a meter away from the boiler.and there,s electrical wires runing behind the gas pipe think they should be at least a 100mm from a gas pipe but would have to check me corgi book,defo carnt run behind the gas yep id have done the condensate in inch an a quater cos in a garage prone to freezing pipeworks neat enough tho, but not how i would have done it

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely no where near the worst I've seen. As a few have mentioned, would have went a bit bigger on the condensate discharge. Far too many issues with that lately.
All in all the pipework is quite a neat job. Just make sure it is well insulated.

It is easy to pick faults on other peoples work if you look for them.
It is fine.

Looks ok to me and as for the boiler I have the same in my own home they are brilliant

[Cough] Seems from the above threads that he's struggling to get some money off the bill?:p:D:D

I'm old school so don't like plastic, otherwise it's a neat install (sorry to disagree Toddyplumb but I can't see a problem with the pipestat on a plastic pipe, I'm pretty sure it'll sense the temp rise and overide the frost stat as intended)

stat wont work on plastic pipe as there is very little heatloss trough it,but i agree plastic looks terrible in sight ,copper is the best

stat wont work on plastic pipe as there is very little heatloss trough it,but i agree plastic looks terrible in sight ,copper is the best

I have the greatest of respect for you gas man and regularly learn from you but alas on this one we'll have to agree to disagree, I'm sure that the stat will respond slower on plastic than copper but I'm still sure it will sense a temp rise otherwise why would we ever lag plastic pipes?

good point, thank-you for your respect,i dont think it would react as fast as copper do you know this boiler shorticus? seems very basic

good point, thank-you for your respect,i dont think it would react as fast as copper do you know this boiler shorticus? seems very basic

Not one that I've had any dealings with, seems people quite like them though so may have to do some research

Regarding the pipe stat yes it is of debate but the install and boiler is not

I don`t like plastic either but the install and boiler are fine

so mostly thumbs up:rolleyes: I have spoke to the installer about the plastic pipe. he said the benefit of using plastic pipe was that he could use it in long lengths with out joints? each joint is a weak point and better flow. also the stat is just an belt and braces thing. the boiler got one inside it?

the drain goes back inside the house, told us it was better that way because it will not going to freezes up

also there is something i am a bit confused about. he put an "outside sensor" on the boiler? he told be it turns up the heating the colder it gets and back again when its only chilly. it sounded like a good idea but never heard of it before.

anyway he is coming back soon to lag it all. so i am very happy:D

My apologies, Manly Man. I mis-read your motives when you posted. Great to hear about a happy customer though. Admittedly not rare but on the internet you read about so many unhappy experiences.

i think you've got yourself a pretty good installer.
The plastic pipe issue is a personal thing, as I said I'm old school, that doesn't make me right, I just prefer copper.
Your boiler contains a frost stat, if your garage drops below 4 degrees or so it'll fire it up to stop everything from freezing, now your garage is not heated so the system will carry on heating because the frost stat says so, your pipe stat says these pipes are hot and overides the frost stat thereby saving fuel.
The external stat gives an extra level of modulation and will give a tweak based upon the outside environment.
Keep his number, sounds like you've found yourself a savvy plumber.

If your confused about anything, just ask your installer again, seems your looking for problems

Good install knowledgeable installer.
I have had cylinder stats slow to respond on modern pre lagged cylinders with pocket of foam cut out due to just the glue residue left on the copper.
Just my observation but the stat could go onto the copper down stream dead easy, it is just a minor point , but a point non the less .

Surly its 25mm (one inch) gas pipe to electrical cable spacing thats required.

Also re the pipe stat, is it for some sort of frost protection?

Tim

not a fan of plastic on show but sounds like time was the issue here - its clipped well - tidy pipe runs - hes fitted an outside weather compensator so obviously knows his stuff - hes also done it in no time and fitted you in in the busiest time of the year - well done plumber - another case of the customer questioning the trade - its all good though at least youve come on here and had your mind put at ease.

not my choice of boiler, rarely come across them but if its something he installs then he must know about parts, servcing and maintenance issues and must be happy with them.

Surly its 25mm (one inch) gas pipe to electrical cable spacing thats required.

Also re the pipe stat, is it for some sort of frost protection?

Tim

i would have to check my regs book but think your close to the mark as regards to wiring - its 100mm from an electrical mains box iirc.

the pipe stat is because its in the garage - it switches boiler on if it gets too low a temp.

like others said the condensate should of been run in inch and a quarter.

Nice boiler made by intergas,a dutch company who came over a couple of years back. Personally I would have used their mounting kit to hide the expansion vessel behind the boiler rather than arobo kit as it looks tidier. Bit pointless using a pipe stat seeing as the boiler has a built in frost stat. Good thing about intergas combis is the lack of diverter valve so less breakdowns. I expect the installer copped his £50 cashback if this was his first intergas install, if not he needs to claim it pronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is my new boiler any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock