Search the forum,

Discuss Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warm is just fine, knock the rad thermostat to 4 or 3 or whatever temp is comfortable without being too hot. What temp do have the hall thermostat and what is the point of "testing" your system at an unrealistically high temp?

I am testing at 21 degrees Celsius as that's what I use mate. At my dinner be back asap.

I am going to keep it at full mate for the remainder of this test. Thanks again buddy.

No point really. No thermostatic radiator valve should be much above number 4. That's going to give a room temperature of approx 24 degrees. If you turn it to number 5 setting the temperature will be about 29 degrees if you want a sauna.

Sounds like he has a programmable room stat, says he cant understand why it turns off, if he cant understand how it works he may be better to get it replaced with a basic RF unit on a stand so he can move it around with him.

No point really. No thermostatic radiator valve should be much above number 4. That's going to give a room temperature of approx 24 degrees. If you turn it to number 5 setting the temperature will be about 29 degrees if you want a sauna.
Yes But I am better keeping it at that just now. the plumber told me 28. Once I have done the test I will put it down to 4 mate.

Sounds like he has a programmable room stat, says he cant understand why it turns off, if he cant understand how it works he may be better to get it replaced with a basic RF unit on a stand so he can move it around with him.
No I only know the basics of the thermostat. So yes maybe but I won't get it as they won't give me an extra one for my Bedroom to use when I can't walk. I have been told to use my electric blanket. So no way will I get it.

Setting 18 degree's for a hall thermostat is plenty, set your rad stat to 3 or 4. You'll probably find that's where your extra ÂŁ20 a month has been going.

Heating controls - five money-saving tips - Creating an energy saving home - Which? Energy
Now that would be a result it's a danfoss wireless heating control and is only set to come on above 20 but I must have done something as when I turn it on now it comes on at 20 sometimes. Going to have a look on youtube to see if I can get it on my own. Failing that I will be calling for a heating engineer. And the last one I had didn't have a clue either

You obviously have internet else I wouldn't suggest this: you may find you can download instructions for your thermostat online if you put in the make and model number and do a bit of hunting.

You obviously have internet else I wouldn't suggest this: you may find you can download instructions for your thermostat online if you put in the make and model number and do a bit of hunting.
Yes I do mate and I am off to hunt.

Yes I do mate and I am off to hunt. It's danfoss tp50001 I think that's the last model mentioned TP5001+RF

Yes I do mate and I am off to hunt. It's danfoss tp50001 I think that's the last model mentioned TP5001+RF

Stuff what people tell you to set your stat at! Your perception of warmth is different to mine or anybody else's.

For example. I like a cool house, Mrs Croppie doesn't.

Going by what you've said on here I would contact Scottish Power if I were you. They should be only too pleased to help you. If that gets you nowhere get on to environmental health.

1709 is the meter reading at 9:32pm, thanks everyone off to bed my guts are killing me. Oh, I get a sleep tonight. There's one major thing I forgot about my old house. And it is that it did not have a thermostat just a control, with on twice on all day and on. So I don’t know what the temperature was. I just had on twice a day setting and put it on and off whenever I was cold it had 24 hour clock on it, that revolved. So I don’t know if you guys would know what temperature that would be set at!

Last edited by a moderator:
With no room stat the temperature is set by the boiler, if it was on twice a day rather than all day as your current system is that'll go a long way to explaining the discrepancy in gas usage from your old place.

Once you've got to grips with the hall stat set it at 18 to begin with and set your rad stats as you require them not what you think they should be. As you admitted you were boiling with TRV set on max therefore try a lower setting.

With no room stat the temperature is set by the boiler, if it was on twice a day rather than all day as your current system is that'll go a long way to explaining the discrepancy in gas usage from your old place.

Once you've got to grips with the hall stat set it at 18 to begin with and set your rad stats as you require them not what you think they should be. As you admitted you were boiling with TRV set on max therefore try a lower setting.

Yes I could only set it to warm house up in the morning and evening and just used it whenever I wanted in between and after those time mate. I have used 277 units if I am correct today then 1706 to 1709?

1706 to 1709

You've used about 3 cubic metres of gas today boiling your butt off, that equates to approx 34kw/h. You can work out from your bill what that is per day.

I think we've worked out why your usage is as high as it is haven't we?

You've used about 3 cubic metres of gas today boiling your butt off, that equates to approx 34kw/h. You can work out from your bill what that is per day.

I think we've worked out why your usage is as high as it is haven't we?

Yes I think everything is OK. Thank God I don't have to fight anymore. You would think that it was coming out there own pocket, the council inspectors that is. I am so tired fighting them. Just got gas Fire to do tomorrow. And then it will be a couple of days in my thermals when they arrive to account for the wastage. But it was worth it as stress makes my conditions worsen and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for bearing with me. Thanks again.

Yes I think everything is OK. Thank God I don't have to fight anymore. You would think that it was coming out there own pocket, the council inspectors that is. I am so tired fighting them. Just got gas Fire to do tomorrow. And then it will be a couple of days in my thermals when they arrive to account for the wastage. But it was worth it as stress makes my conditions worsen and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for bearing with me. Thanks again.

Do I have to run my gas fire the whole day. Can I not just calculate by the hour?

Why are you bothering to test now when you know what the problem is?

Your hall stat is set too high and so is the rad stat.

Why are you bothering to test now when you know what the problem is?

Your hall stat is set too high and so is the rad stat.

It's what someone asked me to do. Can't remember his name using phone for forum. I don't think he's convinced that you loose 40p in the ÂŁ1 with fire.

Do I have to run my gas fire the whole day. Can I not just calculate by the hour?

Calculating by the hour will not be as accurate. Your home will need more heat put into it in colder parts of day - like in the evening and especially on a cold start up where it needs to build the heat up in the house.

You don't need to run it all day.

Put your fire on then go look at your meter, take a reading including the decimal points in m3/hr (or cubic feet per hour if you've got a very old meter)

Time it for 2 minutes then record the reading then.

Then do the same for your boiler.

Come back and tell us what your readings are, what units it's recorded in (m3/hr or ft3/hr), what your tariff per unit is and your calorific value. These last couple will be found on your latest bill.

We can tell you what you're paying per hour then.

You don't need to run it all day.

Put your fire on then go look at your meter, take a reading including the decimal points in m3/hr (or cubic feet per hour if you've got a very old meter)

Time it for 2 minutes then record the reading then.

Then do the same for your boiler.

Come back and tell us what your readings are, what units it's recorded in (m3/hr or ft3/hr), what your tariff per unit is and your calorific value. These last couple will be found on your latest bill.

We can tell you what you're paying per hour then.
It's at 1710366 been on full for 2 hours reading started at 1709244. Going to do as you suggest just now.

With Fire on full for 2 minutes start 01710433 after 2 minutes 01710450.

central heating on full 30 degrees 01710550 after 2 minutes 01710644

With Fire on full for 2 minutes start 01710433 after 2 minutes 01710450.

central heating on full 30 degrees 01710550 after 2 minutes 01710644

I get 17 for the fire and 94 for central heating on full 30 degrees correct? m3

last 3 digits are red

Yesterdays full readings were 01706471 and 01709244 last 3 digits red and M3 and temperature was 21 degrees

And that was central heating on for 12 hours.

Your cv is a measurement that we use to determine how much heat is generated per unit of gas.

It'll be a number somewhere between 38 and 42. I'll take it as being 41.04 as that's what we're using in Northern Ireland.

Even though you're online you should see your tariff per unit.

Your cv is a measurement that we use to determine how much heat is generated per unit of gas.

It'll be a number somewhere between 38 and 42. I'll take it as being 41.04 as that's what we're using in Northern Ireland.

Even though you're online you should see your tariff per unit.
I am bloody hopeless at online billing changing to paper. But I found this. If it helps

The calorific value refers to the amount of energy that’s released when a certain amount of gas is completely combusted under specific conditions throughout the National Grid system.

It’s measured continually and changes a small amount every day, but a typical example of the calorific value is 39.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock