Search the forum,

Discuss Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw i live in a 2 bed ex coal board bungalow that is stuffed with glass wool and my bills are about £100/month each for gas and electric.
I'm inclined to think the wee woman knows how to hit the plus button on the stat as soon as i walk out the door and i know she loves to cook things in the tumble drier.
If you want someone to blame, blame the government and the save the planets.
Global warming (or should i say climate change ie weather, as the warming stopped a few years back) is the best money making idea ever invented and you're paying for it.
Such is life :)

Yes I can understand that with a woman in the house mate. Their never warm and it has been proved scientifically that woman are colder than men. But it's like the bloody canary islands with them in the house lol.

If this was your own property op would you be spending on the boiler or fire or rads etc or are you only kicking off as you belive you are entitled to it for free as the property isn't yours???
I needs new doors and could do with a new fire but guess what no one is going to pay for them apart from me so I have to live with high energy bills until I can afford to replace them myself

If this was your own property op would you be spending on the boiler or fire or rads etc or are you only kicking off as you belive you are entitled to it for free as the property isn't yours???
I needs new doors and could do with a new fire but guess what no one is going to pay for them apart from me so I have to live with high energy bills until I can afford to replace them myself

I don't quite get your question as it doesn't need new boiler? But does need new radiators. But I will answer it this way, if it was mine I would buy new boiler if needed and radiators asap. To save me the high bills mate. Does that answer your question?

I don't quite get your question as it doesn't need new boiler? But does need new radiators. But I will answer it this way, if it was mine I would buy new boiler if needed and radiators asap. To save me the high bills mate. Does that answer your question?

Then go and buy them and fit them I'm sure the council won't mind it would save them and the state thousands if social housing tenants paid for their own upgrades and repairs

Then go and buy them and fit them I'm sure the council won't mind it would save them and the state thousands if social housing tenants paid for their own upgrades and repairs

I can't afford them and if I could I would keep the old radiators to put back on but I don't know where your getting boiler from as I don't need one. And by the way that's what I had to do in my old house. When I was fit and working the whole street in fact had to do their own repairs unless it was damaged roof or chimney.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't afford them and if I could I would keep the old radiators to put back on but I don't know where your getting boiler from as I don't need one.

So you can't afford them so don't have them simple I don't see why you think the council should pay when there is nothing wrong with them they do the job they are intended to do.
If it was your own property with you paying for them would you even be looking at the cost of replacement or not??

So you can't afford them so don't have them simple I don't see why you think the council should pay when there is nothing wrong with them they do the job they are intended to do.
If it was your own property with you paying for them would you even be looking at the cost of replacement or not??

Of course I would be one of the first things I did. But you're missing the point I can't afford to heat my house and ended up with pneumonia last year and lost the use of my right arm into the bargain. But with physio, I have most of the use back and can feel my fingers but not my thumb. I don't get why you are having a go at me at all. Whatever I've done to upset you. I'm sorry okay.

If you can't afford to heat the property coukd you not move to a smaller property you coukd afford to heat?? You said you only need to heat one room so could you not move to a 1 room bedsit??

If you can't afford to heat the property coukd you not move to a smaller property you coukd afford to heat?? You said you only need to heat one room so could you not move to a 1 room bedsit??
Well this is why I moved mate because I was upstairs and some days I can't even walk. So I am across from my mum and dad. And it's also easier on them to look after me when I can't walk. To get a house in this area takes years mate. And as I say I would just worry my mum and dad more and it would be harder for them to bring me dinner Etc. I could get a house tomorrow just about anywhere I live with a swap. But as I have said it's not practical mate.

I have only read the last couple of posts and going by those, you should be in some sort of sheltered accommodation surely
You have temporary paralysis and are unable to look after yourself, have your parents call social services and get yourself sorted out

I have only read the last couple of posts and going by those, you should be in some sort of sheltered accommodation surely
You have temporary paralysis and are unable to look after yourself, have your parents call social services and get yourself sorted out

I want to remain as independent as possible mate. But thank you for the advice. It's a joke trying to get any sort of help. Plus they stopped my benefits and told me I was fit for work, when that bloody Atos were involved. I watched a programme about them and it was some investigator that got themselves a job with them. Basically if you could push a button you were fit for work. I wish I was I would never say role on hometime again. Your health is absolutely priceless. I remember being a young boy and my gran telling me this when I was saying that I wanted to be a millionaire. She said no son your health is what you want and being a young boy of course I said I want to be a millionaire. I ended up with neither. Anyway we're going off topic here that's the heating on at 21 degrees Celsius. Going to run it for the day, and do what the guy that didn't want to get involved with the politics of this thread said. To run central heating for a full day, and gas fire for a full day. If it doesn't help me it may help someone else.

Or move back in with Mum & Dad then you could share the bills !!

No mate I couldn't not practical for me. It will end up being in care but I will try my hardest to stay out of it as long as I can. Seen a Woman well that's not the word for her stand on an old man Of 82 or 92 yesterday on Yahoo. In a place of care and it won't stop bloody terrible. Don't know how these sorts of people can live with themselves!

Or move back in with Mum & Dad then you could share the bills !!
I couldn't live with my dad again mate lol. No nae never lol. I will be Ok until they go. which might be soon lost my brother 15 year ago. And now my Brother in law in August. My dad found him he's in such a state with what he saw. I don' think he will be here this time next year. Dr told him I think you've had a stroke instead of sending him to Hospital straight away to get a scan done he had to wait for letter through the post and Just got it Tuesday. Dropped foot. it is all relating to what he saw getting no help here just take these tablets and you couldn't get my dad to take a paracetamol. As he is a believer of the body heals it's self he's taking all the tablets the Dr is giving him. And he's not getting any better at all.

Hi OP,

From the fuzzy picture, it looks like the right hand dial _might_ vary the radiator temperature (do they get hotter with it fully up and colder with it fully down? It will probably take half an hour or so to see the difference). Or does that dial vary the temperature of the hot water in your taps?

If it varies the radiator temperature, try turning it down. The radiators will take longer to heat your rooms, but they might still be up to the job of keeping them warm once they are warm. Basically, you should only need to turn the radiators up more when it gets colder outside.

I wouldn't worry too much about radiator 'efficiency'. All a radiator is is a device for taking heat out of water and transferring it to the room. If a radiator is better at doing this, the boiler just needs to supply it with more heat. All it means is that a more effcient radiator can be physically smaller to do the same job. Provided your radiators get evenly hot, I would imagine all is well.

Hi OP,

From the fuzzy picture, it looks like the right hand dial _might_ vary the radiator temperature (do they get hotter with it fully up and colder with it fully down? It will probably take half an hour or so to see the difference). Or does that dial vary the temperature of the hot water in your taps?

If it varies the radiator temperature, try turning it down. The radiators will take longer to heat your rooms, but they might still be up to the job of keeping them warm once they are warm. Basically, you should only need to turn the radiators up more when it gets colder outside.

I wouldn't worry too much about radiator 'efficiency'. All a radiator is is a device for taking heat out of water and transferring it to the room. If a radiator is better at doing this, the boiler just needs to supply it with more heat. All it means is that a more effcient radiator can be physically smaller to do the same job. Provided your radiators get evenly hot, I would imagine all is well.
To be completely honest I haven't a clue mate. But what the Plumber from the council did say was that these settings can cost you and I let him set it to what he said was best I am scared to touch anything on the boiler radiators and thermostat yes. But lets see what happens with this test at 21 degrees all day does I am at 1706. and I will update you all tonight and again I can't thank you all enough for your help. One thing I would like to ask is how can one plumber get the Kw up a couple of digits and the other one can't? And is there anyway of telling the boiler is not giving good output? As since the last council plumber got it up it's went down to 28Kw from 29.52Kw and that was in August the 29,52Kw or would I have to ask my plumber to test it again for me? Or is there a small tool that's simple enough to use so that i don't have to bother the plumber I know.

One thing I would like to ask is how can one plumber get the Kw up a couple of digits and the other one can't? And is there anyway of telling the boiler is not giving good output? As since the last council plumber got it up it's went down to 28Kw from 29.52Kw and that was in August the 29,52Kw or would I have to ask my plumber to test it again for me?

I'm wondering where you are getting these figures from. Are these figures on the Gas Safety Inspection Certificate? Looks a bit like this: http://www.User PlumbersForums.net .../images/Landlords_gas_safety_record_large.jpg

If so, perhaps someone on this forum with gas knowledge can answer how these figures are calculated?

Last edited:
I'm wondering where you are getting these figures from. Are these figures on the Gas Safety Inspection Certificate? Looks a bit like this: http://www.User PlumbersForums.net .../images/Landlords_gas_safety_record_large.jpg

If so, perhaps someone on this forum with gas knowledge can answer how these figures are calculated?

Squabbling over small differences in boiler output really isn't relevant in this case as the boiler itself is more than capable of providing (at a guess) the 8kw or less required to heat the whole of a two bedroom flat. The rest of the boilers output is required heat water at a reasonable rate.

Just says boiler repairs and heating log. On it, I have a Gas safety check in November, but I think you are correct mate. Oh it's not like that but hey it's the council lol.

Squabbling over small differences in boiler output really isn't relevant in this case as the boiler itself is more than capable of providing (at a guess) the 8kw or less required to heat the whole of a two bedroom flat. The rest of the boilers output is required heat water at a reasonable rate.

OK thank you

Does anyone know if I can buy another wireless heating control for my danfoss reciever? My Occupational therapist tried to get me an extra one for when I can't walk but council said it is not an adaption and I haven't to get one and I have just to use my electric blanket. When the guy installed it he said I could buy fancy ones off eBay but they always break. But I think it is just a single band reciever. And I don't know if it will work. If that's not an adaption for someones health I don't know what is. Trouble is it was an electrition that installed it. And I don't get any electritions coming into my house. If not it's fine I will just make do with my blanket.

Heating Test I have messed up as I forgot it turns itself off after a number of times. So I don't know when it turned itself off. Back on at 21 degrees as of 1:27pm

I hope your investigations are successful so please keep the thread updated. I may be mistaken but my feeling is that you simply have a different larger, colder flat so it's going to cost you a bit more to heat. £20/m extra is a lot to you so it may be worth contacting the moneysavingexpert.com forum for better advice over tariffs as well as social care and advice.

ATB.

I hope your investigations are successful so please keep the thread updated. I may be mistaken but my feeling is that you simply have a different larger, colder flat so it's going to cost you a bit more to heat. £20/m extra is a lot to you so it may be worth contacting the moneysavingexpert.com forum for better advice over tariffs as well as social care and advice.

ATB.

Do you yourself think that's all it is even with the radiator off in the back bedroom?

I should only be using 8000 or 9000 and that is extreme
for 1 person in the house. 20000 is a national average for a 4 bedroom house national average with
2 adults and 2 kids. Is what I was told I should be using Richard at SSE told me. So I think what would really help me is what is the average for a single person in a 2 Bedroom house.

It was this guy that said there is no way you are using that and quoted the above suggesting it was my meter. He was more than happy to get the meter tested for me with the charge if it is not faulty. I used 15,685kw in a year.

But going by what he said and the other people I have asked My siter to be precise as that's the exact size of house she is in with 2 adults and 2 kids all having showers each morning apart from my wee neice who has to have a bath every morning. Because of her spinabifia. and she was only £60 a month with the 4 of them but now only 3 of them and you know what women are like with the heating.

I think average use is precisely that, average, which'll mean that for most people it isn't on during the day (during the week) so you could well rack up that sort of use and there are just far too many variables to rely on figures given by others like your sister.

Your best bet is to speak to another ground floor neighbour in the same building that has the same system and ask about their usage and cost and that'll give a more accurate idea over whether your usage is excessive or not.

Last edited:
I think average use is precisely that, average, which'll mean that for most people it isn't on during the day (during the week) so you could well rack up that sort of use.

There are just far too many differences to start making a direct and relevant comparison with others like your sister, your best bet is to speak to another ground floor neighbour in the same building that has the same system and ask about their usage and cost.
Next door would be Ideal but they bought the house over a year ago and haven't moved in yet. I am bloody roasting doing this test. I will have to have a few days in my long Johns and theramal long sleeve shirt lol. To account for the wastage.

Having an empty property next door will increase heat loss through party wall.

Next door would be Ideal but they bought the house over a year ago and haven't moved in yet. I am bloody roasting doing this test. I will have to have a few days in my long Johns and theramal long sleeve shirt lol. To account for the wastage.

You shouldn't be roasting should you, where is your room stat?

You shouldn't be roasting should you, where is your room stat?
In the hall mate not sweating roasting but very warm as Living Room radiator I was told to keep it at full. the rest at 2.

hollyoaks, I hope you get sorted out, but some posts gets to the point where you begin to think 'This is a Wind-up'? I'm not sure what's going on here, but whatever it is, it's unfruitful.

hollyoaks, I hope you get sorted out, but some posts gets to the point where you begin to think 'This is a Wind-up'? I'm not sure what's going on here, but whatever it is, it's unfruitful.
Are you saying I am not telling you the truth!!! I can whole heartedly tell you I am and have only made one mistake today for a maximum of an hour I would say. When the wireless control goes off itself. Don't ask me why it does that, must be a thing to save you money if you went out and left the heating on. Why else would I be wasting all my gas. I want to get the correct result it's been on the whole day. And I thought we were coming to an end tomorrow. With the gas fire on all day. That's one thing you will never get me doing is telling lies. Never have never will. I put it on at 8am but never took a picture of the meter until 9:32am. I haven't slept a wink and have just took my medicine knowing that it will knock me out tonight. And hoping that I don't mess up and fall asleep. But I can't change my times for my medicines and I am determined to see it throgh to 9:32pm. You've really hurt my feelings if that is what you think. Is it?

With a hundred posts and no resolution we all need medication.
I am dissapointed in the Joke you make of medicine. I am on numerous medications for my conditions and you're going to get a result tonight. And tomorrow night aswell. Yes I admit it took a while to get it through to me about the Boiler but you have no idea of the fighting it takes to get things done and that is why I wanted to be more than sure that it wasn't a new boiler I needed as once the fighting starts I can't change my mind and say oh I want a new boiler if it was just radiators I was going to fight for, for example. and I can only apologise for that. But again I can't thank everyone enough for putting up with me for that and I just bloody remembered Christmas is nearly here so I can't do the test with the meter. Then again I might not have to. I might not have to fight for anything and to me that is well worth all this toing and froing as stress makes 2 of my major conditions a hell of a lot worse so please hang in there with me until tonight. And for the gas fire test tomorrow. And that's it done and dusted I now know I don't need a new boiler which I wasn't completely sure and radiators migh help a bit. To which I did not know any of so it's not been unfruitful to me quite the oposite and again I am sorry and thank you all for hhanging in there with me. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart!

In the hall mate not sweating roasting but very warm as Living Room radiator I was told to keep it at full. the rest at 2.

If your room stat is in the hall, then I would think it advisable to turn the radiator in the living rooms thermostatic valve (if you have one) to a sensible setting of about number 4.
Your room stat in the hall won't control the living room temperature accurately

Last edited:
If your room stat is in the hall, then I would think it advisable to turn the radiator in the living rooms thermostatic valve (if you have one) to a sensible setting of about number 4.
Your room stat in the hall won't control the living room temperature accurately
I am going to keep it at full mate for the remainder of this test. Thanks again buddy.

Warm is just fine, knock the rad thermostat to 4 or 3 or whatever temp is comfortable without being too hot. What temp do have the hall thermostat and what is the point of "testing" your system at an unrealistically high temp?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock