Search the forum,

Discuss Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to talk to environmental health, citizens advice bureau and the gas Co itself.

You're asking us for a definitive answer to your problem but, other than a rough guess at best there's really not much we can do for you.

Having read this thread through a couple of times now I feel that things have been taken for granted by all parties, although in your case I will concede that you probably weren't to know.

But if it's affecting your health you really do need to contact environmental health.

OK thank you I really appreciate all the input people have gave me I googled social services and I am calling them tomorrow. Thank you for letting me know that. I will Google environmental health just now as another contact to call if social services can't help me.

From the way you speak (type) i take it you are in Scotland.
Firstly, no one should move their gas supply direct debit from one property to another. You leave one property and settle up any difference then start again in the new one.
Thats the way it is
If they have just put you on a direct debit based on the previous tenant take meter readings and ring them or internet them with actual meter readings. Very easy with the Hydro.
Moving on
Step 2, go talk to citizens advice and explain your situation. They will liaise with any 3rd parties
Step 3, speak to social services (or ask cit advice to do so on your behalf)

We are only plumbers and you need more help than we can give you.

From the way you speak (type) i take it you are in Scotland.
Firstly, no one should move their gas supply direct debit from one property to another. You leave one property and settle up any difference then start again in the new one.
Thats the way it is
If they have just put you on a direct debit based on the previous tenant take meter readings and ring them or internet them with actual meter readings. Very easy with the Hydro.
Moving on
Step 2, go talk to citizens advice and explain your situation. They will liaise with any 3rd parties
Step 3, speak to social services (or ask cit advice to do so on your behalf)

We are only plumbers and you need more help than we can give you.

Yes I am Scottish mate. Does it really stand out in typing? That's amazing, anyway no it was me who told them what to take direct debit as I thought it would be about the same. And to my shock it's not. I had a plumber in saying it's of the highest efficiency. My boiler that is but that doesn't make sense for a boiler that he's been able to get spare parts for 10 years. Surely newer boilers are more efficient? Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice I wouldn't know what to do without you's! And I will never forget the help I have had off you's!

Listen carefully mate because it seems you don't want to accept the same answer you've been getting from several contributors which is that your boiler is fine despite it's age.

If you really want to know what is cheaper to run then use your fire (only) for a day and then do the same for the central heating making a note of the gas meter reading (units) at the start and end of the day(s) as long as both days are of similar temperature of course.

Read Tamz contribution again.

Listen carefully mate because it seems you don't want to accept the same answer you've been getting from several contributors which is that your boiler is fine despite it's age.

If you really want to know what is cheaper to run then use your fire (only) for a day and then do the same for the central heating making a note of the gas meter reading (units) at the start and end of the day(s) as long as both days are of similar temperature of course.

Read Tamz contribution again.

Not at all I do believe what I have been told I was just wondering if there were more efficient boilers. Fires not going on again be as well throwing money up the chimney. I am planning on doing a test with the heating on all day and see what it's using. Just want to be right about everything before I start making calls on Monday. And I am glad of all the input.

Your boiler is not your problem. You need help with other underlying factors in your property

Last edited:
Can I ask why you would be entitled to a more efficient boiler than the one you currently have?

Your boiler is not your problem. You need help with other underlying factors in your property

Yes I know that but I can't seem to figure it out. It's got cavity wall insulation, new windows and doors. Is it as simple as radiators as these are at least 25 years old.

It's a larger property isn't it ???

It's a larger property isn't it ???

Yes but not massively and the plumber I had in is in a 3 bedroom up and downstairs and bigger than my house ÂŁ46 a month. My sister is in an even bigger house than that with 4 bedrooms 2 toilets etc. Bath every day for the youngest shower for the other 3 2 adults 2 kids ÂŁ60 a month. So it can't be that or can it?

I have replied several times to this person even give them a rough breakdown on what they will save & how long it will take to recoup the cost of replacing the boiler, But they seem determined to spend out on replacing a boiler thinking its going to save them money on gas in a property that's not even there's, Told them the heating is-not there problem but don't want to listen, So if it makes you feel happy go ahead and spend your money on a new boiler, I'm sure the council would like all there tenants to do the same, it would save them a fortune

I have replied several times to this person even give them a rough breakdown on what they will save & how long it will take to recoup the cost of replacing the boiler, But they seem determined to spend out on replacing a boiler thinking its going to save them money on gas in a property that's not even there's, Told them the heating is-not there problem but don't want to listen, So if it makes you feel happy go ahead and spend your money on a new boiler, I'm sure the council would like all there tenants to do the same, it would save them a fortune

You have me wrong I like to be double sure before I start a fight. And it is a fight. That's all and I am more than sure now sorry if you feel unvalued but you are well and truly valued my friend.

You have me wrong I like to be double sure before I start a fight. And it is a fight. That's all and I am more than sure now sorry if you feel unvalued but you are well and truly valued my friend.

A fight for what? A new boiler free of charge when there's nothing wrong with yours? I don't really understand the point of this.

I maintain the problem is in your house and is not the boiler To be honest I would go back to what Tamz said and actually get some people in to assess your property for its heat and energy efficiency.

Last edited:
A fight for what? A new boiler free of charge when there's nothing wrong with yours? I don't really understand the point of this.
A fight for anything off them no not a boiler, but plumber did say that these type of systems were fitted when the back boiler was behind the fire. And are at least 25 years old even the energy company is bamboozled with the amount of units I used over the year and want ÂŁ140 to test the meter. As they think the meter maybe at fault.

I maintain the problem is in your house and is not the boiler To be honest I would go back to what time is sai to be honest I would go back to what Tamz said and actually get some people in to assess your property for its heat and energy efficiency.
How do I get people into access it. What organisation?

I am downstairs now

I've just had a re-read for any clues...although your old flat was smaller was it on a first or second floor above and below other flats whereas now you're on the ground? It can make quite a difference in overall temperature and amount of heat required.

For a proper analysis you need to examine exactly how many units you are using and at what rate. Are you paying a different tariff for your gas because you are in debt? Besides the fact that your new flat is larger do you have any old bills from the old place to make a proper comparision and have you asked your immediate neighbour what they pay because if it's a relatively new gas meter chances are it is okay.

Last edited:
Are you housing association or through the council I don't understand how it works in Scotland im afraid that would be my first port of call tell them you have a problem although I just don't understand what you expect them to do. I realise there is a difference in cost to you but I have to say it's not 100% clear exactly what you are trying to achieve now

A fight for anything off them no not a boiler, but plumber did say that these type of systems were fitted when the back boiler was behind the fire. And are at least 25 years old even the energy company is bamboozled with the amount of units I used over the year and want ÂŁ140 to test the meter. As they think the meter maybe at fault.
Also if the meter is up the swanny then they surely can't charge you for that as that's their property

I've just had a re-read for any clues...although your old flat was smaller was it on a first or second floor above and below other flats whereas now you're on the ground? It can make quite a difference in overall temperature and amount of heat required.
It was second floor mate, I know what you are getting at but that doesn't account for my sisters mum's and cousins being up and downstairs and you know what woman are like with their heating. If I had a mrs with me could you imagine the bills!!

Also if the meter is up the swanny then they surely can't charge you for that as that's their property
No I haven't to pay for the test but I don't think they will say it will be wrong they said it's took away to a site stripped apart and not usable again. Doubt they will give me credit for the bills I have been paying. That was never mentioned.

No I haven't to pay for the test but I don't think they will say it will be wrong they said it's took away to a site stripped apart and not usable again. Doubt they will give me credit for the bills I have been paying. That was never mentioned.

You said they want ÂŁ140 to test the meter?

It was second floor mate, I know what you are getting at but that doesn't account for my sisters mum's and cousins being up and downstairs and you know what woman are like with their heating. If I had a mrs with me could you imagine the bills!!

Is your sister on the same tariff cos there's no point comparing what you pay to her if you're not and a first or second floor flat is generally warmer than one on the ground floor for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Haven't read all the posts but you've already got a condensing boiler, upgrading that wouldn't make much difference.

Older radiators contain a lot if water which needs more energy to heat up - this could be your issue.

Modern, efficient radiators hold a low water content making them heat up quicker and more efficient.

Plus there are other differences between your old and new property, insulation, Windows etc.

And then there is the tariff that your on from you gas supplier, is it the same one as before or have you just been on a standard one.

Haven't read all the posts but you've already got a condensing boiler, upgrading that wouldn't make much difference.

Older radiators contain a lot if water which needs more energy to heat up - this could be your issue.

Modern, efficient radiators hold a low water content making them heat up quicker and more efficient.

Plus there are other differences between your old and new property, insulation, Windows etc.

And then there is the tariff that your on from you gas supplier, is it the same one as before or have you just been on a standard one.

Yes it's just standard tarrif I've been on at both address. I decided earlier tonight I was going to get my meter checked as I put my neighbours gas on full blast and mine. And for the last digit to go round once mine was only 3 seconds slower than hers. And that's me with the radiator off in the back bedroom. And she is up and downstairs with all the radiators on full blast. So I called to get them to do it they don't want to do it. Your meter is fine. Etc. You can't compare properties I said they are built the with the same materials etc. But you can't compare meters or boilers, I said both are A class. And she's got more radiators than me with her being a 3 bedroom house. Nothing is wrong with the meter. Was all I kept getting I said I want it tested it's me that pays for it if I am wrong. Now I have to do meterage checks on Monday with her when she phones before they will agree to test it. Peed off is not the word!

I'm keeping out of the politics on this one.

To answer the original question as to which is cheaper, it's all very well with theory, but let's be practical.

Learn how to read your gas meter accurately. Most go down to quite a lot more detail than needed for billing purposes. (I once worked out the cost of boiling a pint of water on the stovetop - it was 0.6p). Run your heating for a day and see exactly how much gas you've used. Run your fire for a day and see how much gas you use. Then you'll know which is cheaper.

I'm keeping out of the politics on this one.

To answer the original question as to which is cheaper, it's all very well with theory, but let's be practical.

Learn how to read your gas meter accurately. Most go down to quite a lot more detail than needed for billing purposes. (I once worked out the cost of boiling a pint of water on the stovetop - it was 0.6p). Run your heating for a day and see exactly how much gas you've used. Run your fire for a day and see how much gas you use. Then you'll know which is cheaper.
Oh I know my central heating is cheaper as I lose 40p in the ÂŁ1 with my gas fire and only 10p in the ÂŁ1 with my central heating.

Theoretically, that's true. It also assumes your heating system is running properly. Fitting an efficient boiler to an old system won't necessarily give a greater efficiency though, as the boiler needs to be carefully set up to obtain those efficiencies. But you may also find you get more comfort for your ÂŁ from the gas fire.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here, but if it IS a condensing boiler, you need to make it run in condensing mode. One way is to run the boiler itself on a low temperature setting the water reaching the radiators get not so hot. Not the same as radiator valve settings. Does the boiler have temperature dials? You may find that by setting them lower and running the heating for longer it gets cheaper. Assuming the installation is half decent.

Theoretically, that's true. It also assumes your heating system is running properly. Fitting an efficient boiler to an old system won't necessarily give a greater efficiency though, as the boiler needs to be carefully set up to obtain those efficiencies. But you may also find you get more comfort for your ÂŁ from the gas fire.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here, but if it IS a condensing boiler, you need to make it run in condensing mode. One way is to run the boiler itself on a low temperature setting the water reaching the radiators get not so hot. Not the same as radiator valve settings. Does the boiler have temperature dials? You may find that by setting them lower and running the heating for longer it gets cheaper. Assuming the installation is half decent.

These are the dials I have mate. Plumber said they are at the best setting Controls I have.PNG

You need to pay up front for a meter test and they reimburse you if it is found to be out.
Gas rating etc is not accurate enough

Btw i live in a 2 bed ex coal board bungalow that is stuffed with glass wool and my bills are about ÂŁ100/month each for gas and electric.
I'm inclined to think the wee woman knows how to hit the plus button on the stat as soon as i walk out the door and i know she loves to cook things in the tumble drier.
If you want someone to blame, blame the government and the save the planets.
Global warming (or should i say climate change ie weather, as the warming stopped a few years back) is the best money making idea ever invented and you're paying for it.
Such is life :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock