Search the forum,

Discuss Is it legal to disconnect gas bayonet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Can someone not gas qualified legally turn the gas valve off that solely does a gas cooker range and disconnect at bayonet valve (all brand new) for range to be pulled out for new floor covering to be put down?
Or does bayonet fittings require gas safe person to touch them?
It is for a friend but I read if unpaid you still have to be competent to disconnect and reconnect the bayonet. So that would rule me out. I appreciate a bayonet fitting could leak.

Last edited:
I think this is another one of those grey areas. I was taught by mentor that the hose was there so that the cooker could be pulled out and even disconnected for cleaning or as you say for floor works. That being said I can't see why because surely you'd need to do a tightness test following re-installing as it'd be seen as working on the gas pipe

Thanks Riley. Even though a lot of gas registered engineers would probably just simply remove and refit the hose without testing, I know it is part of the gas pipe and I shouldn't touch it.
Makes you think about LPG bottles, although normally outdoors, seem to be able to be replaced by anyone?

I am not gsr yet but from my studies and the university I went they said that should be done by a competent person which hold the gas safe registered card.

As mentioned before you will need to do the tightness test therefore only gsr people

Technical Bulletin 025, updated 2014 seems to cover situation. If anyone has a more recent update please post.

It doesn't need tools to disconnect a Bayonet and they are fail safe, so anyone can do it.

However if you are employed to do it by someone then you would need to be GSR.

The below from the Gas regs also covers LPG cylinders and non registered;

(3)...no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—

(a)the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

It doesn't need tools to disconnect a Bayonet and they are fail safe, so anyone can do it.

However if you are employed to do it by someone then you would need to be GSR.

The below from the Gas regs also covers LPG cylinders and non registered;

(3)...no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—

(a)the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

You see I totally agree with you mate. And yes the rules are pretty straightforward for once. I have had it on three occasions now, each time where a hose has been purchased from poofix and the actual nub on the end of the hose that opens the gas fitting has snapped off and dropped down inside the hose. Meaning that the wall fitting no longer opens and sends gas unfortunately meaning that on two out of the three occasions idiot customers then started fiddling with the wallpiping causing a gas leak. It was nothing more difficult than putting on a new hose and I certainly won't be buying them from screw fix again but on two occasions it could've worked out nasty

Thanks for all the replies. Obviously from above posts a gas cooker bayonet needs a gas engineer to work on it.
Except Snowheads reply says it is a fail safe device and anyone can work on it?
It is not replacing the hose I am asking about, - it is just if snapping the bayonet off or on is legal or not.

Last edited:
Thanks Croppie. That reads that I can do it myself as not getting paid for it. I could use the leak test fluid to be sure. I know the gas installer will tell me to do it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it legal to disconnect gas bayonet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock