Search the forum,

Discuss Is a combi boiler safe with NO mains cold water? (Urgent) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it when Chris joins in as he seems to find these little one liners from nowhere that supply a definitive answer in hard format.

Right, so now that ones put to bed, what else can we argue about....?
Well thank you kind sir.

Sorry everone, could'nt let this one drop, so I have done the homework and spoken to ferrolli technical. They say that if you run the boiler with the could water main turned off then there is a significant risk that the heat exchanger could be damaged. Especially if any hot water draw offs were left turned on.

Sorry everone, could'nt let this one drop, so I have done the homework and spoken to ferrolli technical. They say that if you run the boiler with the could water main turned off then there is a significant risk that the heat exchanger could be damaged. Especially if any hot water draw offs were left turned on.
So technical man contradicts the manufactures written instructions, well I know which one I would believe !!
Now please, can we put this one to bed now.

Having read 73 posts and all disagreeing with each other, the "op" must be totally confused.

BTW I get the gist of what an "op" is (the person who asked the question, I assume) but does "op" actually stand for something?

I had already mentioned that ferrolli engineer had warned me of this, but other people know better.

I had already mentioned that ferrolli engineer had warned me of this, but other people know better.
Oh thanks lame for mentioning this again, do you know I missed it the first time you did post it, how silly of me cos had I have seen that a Ferroli engineer had told you that, I would changed my view completely & not bothered to go on & post what I did.

Sorry, I will read your posts very carefully from now on.

So, your tech guy says if cold main turned off then don't run boiler in ch mode ? isnt that like not turning on a hot tap ?

I have spoken to many technical lines in the past I have also worked for a company who had a call centre in there and none of the people were technically trained so were just reading things off a computer screen so if its not written in front of them I wouldnt believe a word they say. As for the ferroli engineer they would say anything to hide the fact the boilers are rubbish and they leak like mad.

I have spoken to many technical lines in the past I have also worked for a company who had a call centre in there and none of the people were technically trained so were just reading things off a computer screen so if its not written in front of them I wouldnt believe a word they say. As for the ferroli engineer they would say anything to hide the fact the boilers are rubbish and they leak like mad.

You don't know anything about me or what I do. When I say I do my homework and speak to technical, I don't speak to the call centre who apparently know nothing; I speak to the people way above them.

You don't know anything about me or what I do. When I say I do my homework and speak to technical, I don't speak to the call centre who apparently know nothing; I speak to the people way above them.
Again for you, if the boiler is unsafe with the mains turned off then is has to be considered unsafe with the mains turned on as this situation is even more dangerous for the customer as the heat build up would then cause superheated water in the coil and even the last plumber should know what happens if the pressure drops aka a tap gets opened.

So technical man contradicts the manufactures written instructions, well I know which one I would believe !!
Now please, can we put this one to bed now.

So can you quote us the page number and paragraph which contradicts my post please?

Again for you, if the boiler is unsafe with the mains turned off then is has to be considered unsafe with the mains turned on as this situation is even more dangerous for the customer as the heat build up would then cause superheated water in the coil and even the last plumber should know what happens if the pressure drops aka a tap gets opened.

No because there is still water in the boiler. The temperature the boiler operates at and the boiler controls will not allow this to happen.

No because there is still water in the boiler. The temperature the boiler operates at and the boiler controls will not allow this to happen.
Can you elaborate which sensor shall make that happen?

Water is the medium with the most amazing abilities but magic was not one of the ones I have been taught.

Post 68. This refers to long shut downs, ie example of summer holiday home shut down in the winter, therefore not in use.

In summary:
The manufacturers instructions do not say you can use the boiler with the cold water supply turned off.

Ferroli's reasarch and developement team say that operating the boiler under these conditions could result in damage to the heat exchanger.

Post 68. This refers to long shut downs, ie example of summer holiday home shut down in the winter, therefore not in use.
But the heating frost protection is still in place & so boiler can fire with HWS drained as per the MI instructions?

Anyway the real point is that Ferroli have designed & built a boiler that if the heating is on & the mains water supply is interrupted at any time to it, then there is a real risk that main heat exchanger will be damages, if you & they are to believed.

If true this is a terrible admission that a fairly common occurring event will wreck their product, doesn't go anyway to improve an already poor industry reputation.

Appoligies to all if I have offended anyone. I will retract from this thread as I do not believe there is any thing constructive way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is a combi boiler safe with NO mains cold water? (Urgent) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock