Search the forum,

Discuss Iron pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robtheplumb

I was asked to look at a refurb job the other day, 1920's house 6 bedrooms, 1 pipe heating system in iron, domestic hot and cold all in iron pipe. Customer wants to replace heating system with 2 pipe, no problem there.

He also wants to install an unvented hot water system with secondery return using the existing iron pipework! No matter what I say about replacing the old stuff he is determind to keep it.

Why do people call us in then ignore what we say???

The iron pipe must be "rusted and probably part clogged" by now. I suppose if you touched it, it would all fall apart anyway.

Incidentally, I would give the warnings, pressure test and if okay, do the job providing its not a danger to anyone, but give no guarantees.

A boss I worked for called "awkward customers" "particular customers" and I suppose that is what they are really.

Hi. The mains supply is likely to be galv. A flow check prior to further discussion may well move the argument in your favour.

Until the '70's an iron job had lead shorts, so another reason for it to be ripped out, because is no longer allowed

Another thing occured what about the reaction of the iron with the cylinder?

It has had a new cylinder in not long back, got a couple of bowls in the airing cupboard to catch the leaks! I think this is going to be a bust for me as there is a lot of work there and I am all on my own. The trouble with big jobs like this is that they take up alot of time and my regular customers suffer, I hate turning jobs down but I think he is going to be a pain to work for, and the job a pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Iron pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock