Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Insurance Claim in the Insurance for Plumbers area at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexGas

AlexGas Plumber GSR

True. Sod’s law – it’s gonna pop off as soon as you are out of the house.
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. happyflyer

happyflyer Guest

Just a matter of interest, how long was it after he fitted the boiler did the pipe burst, minutes, hours, days,weeks ????
  3. PlumberTiler

PlumberTiler Guest

If this was in court a judge would ask if the plumber made the necessary pressure tests as would be expected of a professional plumber. If he did not then I imagine most judges would say that he failed to do his job properly - the customer can not be expected to know about such things. if a plumber can reasonably predict or be aware of such an outcome then it is his duty to avoid it by whatever means. You would need to make the customer sign a disclaimer that if after all reasonable testing there is still a problem, the customer accepts responsibility for any resulting damage. A plumber cannot however exclude negligence.
  4. Avatar

The question is - are pressure tests required on this type of installation?

If it isn't in the building regs then I do not see how a judge would consider pressure testing a responsibility of the plumber.

Man - sometimes fittings do just pop off, or expire even after normal work, draining down and refilling ect.

You can't consider that the fault of the guys doing the work.

Had the owner asked the plumber to pressure test and to check the plumbing system for fault and potential problems then that might be one thing - but they never do in domestic properties now do they!!

If you have a 60 year old installation that you have not at least checked or upgraded you cannot blame anyone when it fails . . ..

The plumbing system (central heating system) in question is the property of the owner, and therefore it is their responsibility should anything go wrong . . .
    • Like Like x 2
  5. SafeGasInstall

SafeGasInstall Plumber GSR

just want to add to Avatar post : should a plumber put system to operate in up-normal condition and therefore cause the leak then I agree is the plumbers fault
  6. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

you warn the custard that there is a minimal risk of leaks occurring and they agree to work going ahead based on your warning, and the fact additional repairs are extra any leaks are on their insurance in my mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tamz

tamz Guest

Better if you get them to sign a disclaimer if you are increasing the pressure LP :wink:
  8. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

9. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

according to the papers, all the custards are making recordings of our convesations now, so no need for disclaimers:)
  10. tamz

tamz Guest

I just read that :smile:
  11. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

A telephone conversation can not be used in law if the person that's recording does not tell the other person
  12. Jimbob

Jimbob GSR

Depends. We had a leak on an original system, even after it was pressure tested. The insurance company's will battle it out between themselves and will not always have the same outcome. Insurance company's are a nightmare
  13. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

tell that to MI5 :)
  14. Rickster123

Rickster123 Guest

I'm slightly worried by your knowledge of the law in this instance Gray!
  15. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

Lol my wife is in court a lot with her work