Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Insurance Claim in the Insurance for Plumbers area at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harrisons

harrisons Guest

We recently had CH fitted in a FF flat by a very nice young plumber that has done work for us before.
    Unfortunately a pipe, that had unbeknown to him been repaired before, burst once the CH (new combi boiler) was running and flooded the flat downstairs so we now have to make claims for the damage.
    His insurance company says they will only pay out for work that he actually did, pipes he actually worked on, and as he didn't touch this one no claim can be made.

Can I just get some confirmation that this is correct because it feels that the damage occurred as a consequence of his actions, albeit unknowingly.

If I need to go through the buildings insurance then that's fine but I just need to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Barry98

Barry98 Guest

Would depend on his policy
  3. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

if he never touched the pipe and nothing leaked when he left it wont be his problem. How can it be his fault, if he didnt touch that pie and it had been repaired by someone else prior to him being there, its why you have household cover! so what unknowing actions make it his problem.
  4. harrisons

harrisons Guest

Possibly because if you're installing a high pressure boiler you do pressure testing of the system and that would have shown up?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
  5. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

if it is an open vent system converting to a sealed system there could be very low risk of leakage but I warn customers that if thats the case it is something they have to pay extra for to repair! you wanted a combi, he installed it, who is to blame if it leaks through old pipework down the line?
    • Like Like x 7
  6. harrisons

harrisons Guest

okay, thanks for your thoughts.
  7. SafeGasInstall

SafeGasInstall Plumber GSR

that is exactly what I do
  8. SafeGasInstall

SafeGasInstall Plumber GSR

if he was employed to do a pressure test and he passed it , and then pipe burst then it he could be the one to blame ,or if he did inspect all the the joist on the ch system and then gave you a report and he passed it !

REDSAW Guest

it happens,
    cant be liable for every mm of pipe and joints throughout a property unless its all new.

it was a joint or fitting waiting to fail either now or next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Richie_77

Richie_77 GSR

When converting any system to a combi i warn the customer that this could happen
    Its just one of those things...
  11. Avatar

Many houses these days are full of old shoddy plumbing work which often leaks after work has taken place, due to poor quality of the original installation . . . .

If it was my house I would rip out ALL plumbing and electrics and start from scratch!

Otherwise it is the owners call if they want to leave existing pipework in place (as they often do!) - it is also their responsibility . . . .
  12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Can you define 'recently'?
  13. Ollieg

Ollieg Plumber GSR

After the war.
  14. AlexGas

AlexGas Plumber GSR

Pressure test or not pressure test!? I’d say there’s only one answer. Pressure test it! Just do it! Cos, you’ll save yourself lot’s of time later and avoid all the hassle. Any issues will be picked up straight away – as above, that would be extra. Whack in 4.5bars and Bob’s your uncle - no phone calls from the customers about leaks, burst pipes, pressure drops and dead boilers. And you can sleep much better. I do.

So, if the very nice young plumber has done the test and it was a pass - anything after that is out of his hands. If there was no pressure test – that would be an issue to me. Who’s the professional here? Customer knows nothing. Who pressurised the system? The very nice young plumber.
  15. tamz

tamz Guest

There is no requirement to pressure test if connecting to existing pipework or appliances.
    • Like Like x 4