Search the forum,

Discuss Installing a basin waste. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ellis01

Hi. I have fitted a vanity unit in my downstairs toilet room, this is the first time I have done this type of work and everything was going fine until I tried to fit the phone trap to the click button waste. IT WILL NOT FIT.
I have a telescopic please trap which I bought today from city plumbing. They told me they are one size so would be fine. When I try to push it into the click button under the basin ithe won't push up to the rubber seal. I don't understand why. I have watched YouTube tutorials and they just slot straight in. Could it be the click waste is wrong size or am I missing something really obvious? Click waste is from Victoria plumb. Would really appreciate any help, this is driving me mad. Thanks

You will need to screw the trap onto the waste fitting , it won't push

20160602_175044.jpg

oh yea I see, the lip won't allow the rubber to sit, Victoria plumb haven't supplied you with the best pop up waste, I would pick another one up from city plumb and refund the one you have.

I've tried to screw it and Tristan it in. It's just too tight. I will end up breaking something if I force it much more.

I thought that might be the issue. Just thought I would check before getting another. Last time I use Victoria plumb. Thanks for the reassurance.

Also your missing the top nut off your trap

Probably just a poor quality waste from Victoria plumb, if you can't file that lip down or force it in to reach the rubber it will keep leaking!

It can't be far off, alternatively it could be a cheap trap... Try Mcalpine stuff that's the best

Probably just a poor quality waste from Victoria plumb, if you can't file that lip down or force it in to reach the rubber it will keep leaking!

It can't be far off, alternatively it could be a cheap trap... Try Mcalpine stuff that's the best

Looks like a Mcalpine trap

Yeah I know mate I just offered it up quickly to show that it doesn't fit.

Yeah that's true, gotta be a cheapo Victoria plumb Chinese special then...

Yep looks that way

You have two options op

Either replace the waste fitting (best option)

Or you could cut or file the lip down to fit the waste fitting

It is a mcalpine. Just checked the packet. I will get another click waste tomorrow

If it is close to the size, all you have to do it remove the rubber seal temporarily while you file the bit at the top of the trap down.
Just to be annoying, I am going to add that the tap flexi shouldn't be tightened onto the isolating valve. The valve is not designed for flat washers going against it. Some plumbers do it though.

Oh okay. I didn't know that. What should the tap flexi be attached to?

Take a Stanley name knife and shave the top edge of the trap down till the rubber meets, I've had to do this multiple times with cheap bathroom wastes

Had this problem a couple of weeks back, Victoria Plum waste is a different size and will not fit normal waste traps like a McAlpine.
I had to get an adaptor made by McApine to screw onto the Vic Plum waste.

Victoria Plum sell their own traps which fit their wastes and funny enough they are more expensive than McAlpine.

Edit- You need a McAlpine S12A-F 1 1/4 European to UK waste outlet adaptor.

Last edited:
Take a Stanley name knife and shave the top edge of the trap down till the rubber meets, I've had to do this multiple times with cheap bathroom wastes

Learned that one 30 years odd ago when pop ups 1st came out. Leave a mill or 2 enough to hold the washer in place or you will be there all day.

Learned that one 30 years odd ago when pop ups 1st came out. Leave a mill or 2 enough to hold the washer in place or you will be there all day.

Normally just below/ flush with the rubber works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing a basin waste. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along with the Thomas Dudley Basin Waste kit All relatively straightforward to put together but why is it still dripping I'm using the preexisting metal...
Replies
Views
I’m experimenting with the installation of a floating countertop / basin. At the top of the picture are the brackets I’m considering using. Below that is my ‘test rig’ screwed into the garage wall (same blocks as used in the bathroom). At present I have just over 28kg sitting on these brackets...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I have a Duravit vanity unit and was recommended to buy the Duravit space saving waste: 005076 But im unsure how this connects to the waste pipe in the wall. The plumber has fitted a standard waste, but he had to cut a hole at the back of the vanity. There is another to install...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock