Search the forum,

Discuss Initial Survey Checklist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Does anyone use a checklist when they initially survey a new job?

I mainly do refurb and domestic jobs and I need to be more structured in the way I perform the initial survey.
I'm in the habit of taking photos, a few measurements and figure the system. But often forget to record other things, such as the load bearing on walls, access to header tanks, stop valves, the practicalities of draining down, and ALL the other little things that can challenge you along the way.

If you have such a checklist, would you mind sharing?
Many thanks, Del.

To be honest when I go look at a job I instinctively know what is required and only make a mental note of any anomalies which I then add to the quote with a contingency budget for any extras and unknowns. But then again 32yrs of doing this helps me and I used to have a check list many moons ago. but found it time wasting. now a days as its all in my head.

I have to agree with Darren. It's all in my head. Back when I was a young man (in eighteen hundred and frozen to death), I did used to write down all sorts of reminders before I went to look at a job but it was mainly because it costs when you miss things and the customer doesn't see it your way. You learn by your mistakes and if it cost you money, you learn quick.

Simple reminders will help like:-

RCD/Electric
Gas Meter
Meter size.
pipe size. (Gas, Heating pipes)
Earthing.
Heat loss calcs.
Boiler size
Rad Valves / TRV's
Drain off.
Water Quality / Flushing (Chemicals/Filter)?
Flue
Other Gas appliances.
Make of Boiler
Ventilation
Condensate drain
Floor boards or chip board.
Joist run.
Water pressure
Flow rates
How many live there
Do you have baths or showers
What showers are they (mains compatible)?
Room stat? controls

A list like that will make sure you check everything. As long as it reminds you to look and think it will do. It could be endless depending on what kind of work you do. It does eventually sink in though.
I always sit in the van after and think through the job stage by stage and write it down whilst it is all fresh in my head. Write down a rough list of materials and what you plan to do on each day.

Hope that helps?

To be honest when I go look at a job I instinctively know what is required....

That's my challenge, only just a year out of college and been drawn into working on my own.... and what I'd give for your 32yrs of experience. So, I'll take that journey, step by step and hope I don't tread on too many landmines ;) Youtube and this great forum will be close companions.
Thank you.

Hope that helps?[/QUOTE]
Sure does!

Thanks for taking the time to run up that list for me.
For the moment, I'm dodging anything that involves gas, so that shortens the list a little. But there's certainly a few on there that I wouldn't immediately think of.
I'll use this as a great starting point, whilst I'm still wet behind the ears (pun inteded), and I'm sure it'll sink in (boom, another!) soon enough and become ingrained.

Thank you both again. Del.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Initial Survey Checklist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All Newbie so please bear with. We are selling our old house - built 1880. The purchaser has shared their survey report which states that the pipe work in the loft is of DIY standard. This was done before we bought house 10 years ago, and everything works fine but obviously I have to try and...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a challenging and interesting problem, which I'll try as best to describe below keeping to the point and as short as possible, to avoid boring any of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in 2011. The first thing I done after secondary school was gain my Domestic Plumbing and Heating City and Guilds Level 2 and then 3 at college. However...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come over the wrong way so please keep in mind I am 57 and at school in the 70s back then was kicked out the lessons and put in remedial classes (before...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock