Search the forum,

Discuss Inhibitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveWannadoGas

After reading Shaun`s informed comets on replacing inhibitor, I want to ask, is this normal?

When my boiler was put in i think no flush was done. I assume inh was put in. It was a bit of a budget job. Since no flushing was done I was thinking of taking off the rads individually and flushing them out,then putting fresh inh in. I was thinking I dont want the HE getting gunked, although there is a magna on the return, near the boiler.

A tutor has said inhibitor doesnt really do a lot, but I`m not so sure. Either way, should it be replaced yearly/regularly? Does it break down or lose effectiveness? Does it depend on the type you use? I`m trying to look after the system so any good advice would be welcome. And yes, I do have too much time on my hands. Thankyou.

If it wasn't flushed the damage is probably already done
What is the magnaclean like?

If it wasn't flushed the damage is probably already done
What is the magnaclean like?

damage already done? Do you mean literally damaged?

Whats it like? Well when i checked quite recently, it hand a coating over the magnetic core but nothing too exciting. I have to admit i didnt realise prior flushing was a condition of the warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think inhibitor doesn't do much you are wrong and so is your tutor. As an experiment quite a few years ago I got a series of jam jars (sad I know) to try 3 well known and a couple of not so well known inhibitors.Two jars were without any inhibitor. I put wire wool in all the jars (except two), added a cap full of inhibitor and filled the jars. Once a week I would take the lids off to get a bit of air back into the jars, stick the lids back on and give them a good shake.
After two years, all the jars containing inhibitor solution were clear. The ones with plain water were like oxtail soup.
Inhibitor works but the levels should be checked.

im not entirely sure *what it actually does*. I know what its supposed to do, of course.

The tutor in question is well experienced and spent decades in the industry so I do think he has some idea. I suspect inhibitors are not all the same. Do all/some degrade? Are more expensive, actually better/longer lasting?

How would you check inhibitor levels?

The tutor in question is well experienced and spent decades in the industry so I do think he has some idea. I suspect inhibitors are not all the same. Do all/some degrade? Are more expensive, actually better/longer lasting?

Doesn't mean much unfortunately. Some of the old boys are very set in their ways and dismiss any new developments as snake oil. "We never did this in my day, and I've been doing it for centuries". Experience is not the be-all and end-all - some people make the same mistakes all their lives. Experience plus an open mind and a desire to keep learning, that's a different thing!

How would you check inhibitor levels?

You can buy test kits..

Your tutor is a Pratt surely?
I have been installing or later working on systems done 30 or 40 years ago and inhibitor kept the systems often very clean. Yet I could go to systems done by greedy plumbers who never used inhibitor and always was a cert that system was full of black gunge. Sealed systems, however, are another advantage.
Your tutor must have little experience.

the fellas fitted it at the same time as installing. This was prior to me doing gas.

Your tutor is a Pratt surely?
I have been installing or later working on systems done 30 or 40 years ago and inhibitor kept the systems often very clean. Yet I could go to systems done by greedy plumbers who never used inhibitor and always was a cert that system was full of black gunge. Sealed systems, however, are another advantage.
Your tutor must have little experience.

As I said he has decades in the industry and undoubtedly knows better than I do. But I`d use it, if only to err on the side of caution and because people expect you to.

One thing that throws some plumbers is they will come across badly corroded systems that have inhibitor in them. But the corrosion can be a result of system being drained or diluted by someone in the past, or very commonly incorrectly installed system pumping up or drawing air in from some point. Comes back to my point that your tutor really doesn't have the proper experience. Maybe he never really worked on existing systems.
I can honestly say that often some systems of at least 30 years old with usually Fernox inhibitor and where I have had to dismantle and alter pipes, boiler, rads etc, surprised me in not having virtually any trace of corrosion.

Your tutor could take on the manufacturers of Inhibitors and go to the courts. His claim that inhibitors do very little, if proven would show products like Fernox to have been fraudulent for over 40 years.

Interesting! I know Fernox isn`t cheap but maybe it is worth the money? I assume you use and recommend it?

Your tutor could take on the manufacturers of Inhibitors and go to the courts. His claim that inhibitors do very little, if proven would show products like Fernox be fraudulent for over 40 years.

Well my view is that the boiler manufacturers tell you to use it because not to, will invalidate the guarantee. That alone, is a good enough reason.

The advice Best and I have given - you're arguing against our advice because your tutor said something different. I say your tutor is ill-informed.

Simply nonsense. Go back and read my post again.

Interesting! I know Fernox isn`t cheap but maybe it is worth the money? I assume you use and recommend it?

To be totally honest, Fernox inhibitor does get a good name, but it is expensive and like a lot of inhibitors just looks like water, but hopefully it is as good as its price suggests. Fernox used to just come in an unconcentrated 4 litre container and it had some colour to it and a strong smell. It also had a foaming property to it when in system water, but only if you let the water stir, like when draining into a gulley. All these things I found reassuring and a smell and visual that the Fernox was present. I know for certain the old Fernox worked extremely well.
But some of the cheaper products are maybe just as good and you have to weigh up how long until system will need drained for future work, or if customer wants to do job a bit cheaper.
Note that CentreBrand (PlumbCentre) inhibitor is actually made by Fernox and is half the price

So you do gas, yet are struggling with inhibitor.

Scary.

Very scary.

Or I call bullsh!t.

As of yet there is no evidence that he is what he claims, constantly blanks any questions, chips in to different threads with info that any person with the internet could find, is full of smartarse comments and admits to having too much time on his hands, pretty much what I would call a troll looking for reactions.

Last edited:
I would very, very strongly recommend that you go back and read the multiple posts asking you to expand on your background.

And what has my background got to do with you? I really dont consider it your business.

I suggest you stick to moderating and try doing it properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clue is in the forum name mate. We are a professional plumbing forum who takes very seriously the advice given to our members. A lot of us on here are very very busy pros who give up our time on here free of charge so we take a dim view of "odd" information

I've had enough. Insulting a mod on this forum isn't tolerated. Particularly one who gives so much time and care. You're no longer welcome on this forum. If anyone has an issue with this contact me directly.

Thanks.

I've had enough. Insulting a mod on this forum isn't tolerated. Particularly one who gives so much time and care. You're no longer welcome on this forum. If anyone has an issue with this contact me directly.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Inhibitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock