Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Info for people considering fast tracking in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. GQuigley67

GQuigley67 Trusted Plumber GSR

the NVQ is essential if you want to be classed as a plumber, you wont be recognised as one without it, i.e CSCS cards CIPHE membership etc

2. Gavin

Gavin Guest

It's amazing people are still forking out big ££££ for courses that leave them high and dry. It's down to you to research the career you are looking into. How thick do you have to be to go into something where it costs you a fortune to be not qualified and there is barely a lick of work about?

The eyes see only what the mind wants. The suckers who are lured into parting with cash for these courses deserve everything they get.

3. Hutchey

Hutchey Guest

i think that's a very narrow minded view Gavin
    If you were looking at getting into my line of work, you'd be looking at retraining and having to beg for work, pay extortionate amounts for some courses (some are cheapish), spending ages trawling through manuals and doing practicals (in some cases too)

with this type of attitude no wonder this country gets a bad reputation with its workforce.

• Like Like x 1
  4. johnmcginty

johnmcginty Guest

I can't believe it took them cihpe that long to put this info on their website, even last year if you went on it it said itself there were a shortage of plumbers...crazy... I mean I did fasttrack back in the day and I only pull in £1100 a week ...never mind this crazy £1200 a week nonesense ;)

5. tamz

tamz Guest

I think i have posted this link before but here it is again
    http://www.snijib.org/documents/PolicyPaperNo1FAstTrackTraining300909final.pdf

and another quote
    TRAINING SCHOOLS ROBBING STUDENTS
    Industry unites against ‘rogue trainers’

Training schools which offer qualifications and then fail to deliver are costing students thousands of pounds, says the Plumbing and Heating Industry Alliance (PHIA). The Alliance, which represents some 20-trade bodies with over 30,000 members in the UK, is campaigning to put an end to what it calls ‘rogue trainers’. PHIA chairman, Chris Sneath says, “There’s a crazy situation where anyone can set themselves up as a training school and claim to teach someone to be a qualified plumber in as little as four weeks. Needless to say, these get rich quick merchants charge a fortune - I’ve heard of as much as £5000 - but the would-be plumbers parting with their money end up with virtually nothing, certainly not the means to start a legitimate career in our industry. It’s nothing short of daylight robbery.”

The industry’s accepted qualification for a plumber is National or Scottish Vocational Qualification (NVQ or SVQ) at Level 3. Typically this takes a minimum of two to three years training on the job, combined with study at a recognised training provider – such as college of further education. Chris Sneath again: “The entire plumbing and heating industry recognises the NVQ at level 3, a completed formal apprenticeship or appropriate experience over many years as the minimum for a legitimate plumber. Un-regulated trainers will often turn out cowboy plumbers, with all the risks to public health that entails. But sad to say, the government doesn’t want to know. I’ve personally spoken to government representatives but their attitude is to claim they don’t want to interfere in what they call ‘free market practice”.

The Plumbing & Heating Industry Alliance is asking the media to support its campaign by refusing advertising from these rogue trainers. “We often see adverts for them contained in newspaper career supplements,” says Chris Sneath. “We do realise that it’s not always easy to instantly recognise the good from the bad but we at the Alliance are very happy to offer advice.” The PHIA hopes that its campaign will help to eradicate what has become a problem across the country, with countless thousands of pounds being lost by innocent people seeking a career in our industry.

The Plumbing & Heating Industry Alliance includes:

• The Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (IPHE)
    • The Heating and Ventilating Contractors Association (HVCA)
    • The Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (APHC)
    • SummitSkills (The Sector Skills Council for the Industry)
    • The Worshipful Company of Plumbers
    • The Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers Federation (SNIPEF)
    • The Joint Industry Board for Plumbing and Mechanical
      Engineering Services in England and Wales
    • British Plumbing Employers Council Training Ltd (BPEC)
    • The Institute of Domestic Heating and Environmental Engineers (IDHE)
    • National Association of Plumbing Teachers (NAPT)
    • The Bathroom Manufacturers Association (BMA)
    You may think these people and organisations just like to shout at the moon and would like the industry to be a closed shop but that is not the case.

I think Puddle put it across excellently in his analogy
    Anyone thinking of doing one of these courses should think hard and realistically before spending their cash on what may turn out to be an expensive lesson in life.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  6. GQuigley67

great post tamz, looks like you need to be a member to read the second one though ..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  7. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

when i point out the facts about courses i get called negative. thats the reaction you get from many newbies as its not what they want to hear. when they get half way through and it dawns on them its all the centres fault!:confused:

8. GQuigley67

i discussed it at the college today, one of the ACS assessors says they get guys coming in with level 2s asking to do their ACS, not realising you need level 3 and a gas foundation course

9. Dannypipe

Dannypipe Trusted Plumber GSR

As said people want to hear what the want to hear. Who wants to hear it'll take you four years to get properly qualified. I wouldn't want anyone doing work in my house unless they has 4 years training and workplace experience. I wouldn't want someone to service my boiler unless they had a few more years than that.

Not being funny, but who likes the idea of a junior doctor checking you out, or a novice mechanic changing your brakes...same goes with most things.

You don't realise how green some of the newly qualified guys are until you employ one. I mean no offense, we all have to start somewhere.

10. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

you dont need level 3? level 3 tech cert or nvq do you mean? nvq3 has acs in anyway. tc3 is no better than tc or nothing as your a cat3. nvq2 is cat 2

11. tamz

tamz Guest

So you do Gerry. Never noticed as i must have been still logged in.

12. GQuigley67

SVQ level 3 is the minimum required in scotland thats what i mean fuzz and that requires an apprenticeship, to be able to do the ACS u need that. You get gas foundation courses for people who didnt do it at college but want to do later in life. This is what one of the lecturers told me today i was at the college for a vaillant day course

13. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

you dont need any quals to do the ACS, where ever you are

14. GQuigley67

i dont know thats what he said, just told the guys they cant do it unless they have level 3 and do a gas foundation course which is right if you ask me

15. fuzzy

fuzzy Guest

wasnt saying it was right or wrong. just saying that you dont need any quals to sit your acs, they are misleading you