1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Imperial stop cock in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. andyjohnson15

andyjohnson15 New Member

Can a current standard stop cock be fitted to an imperial body sweated between lead & copper pipe?

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

When you say that do you mean replacing the innerds of the tap ?

If you do mean that, I would say no.
    I may be wrong of course.

Why can't you just replace the whole tap or have I misunderstood?

3. andyjohnson15

andyjohnson15 New Member

Thanks for the response. Can't replace the body without cutting old (sweated) body out from lead pipe and jointing lead incomer which has been cast into concrete floor (1960's extension). Pipe is not smooth and only short stub available without excavating concrete (& probably damaged). If I could replace the valve section (innerds) it should solve the problem

4. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

is there space above the old stop cock to cut another one in?

5. andyjohnson15

andyjohnson15 New Member

Hi Steveb. This is not the problem, there is already a second (working) stop cock above the floor. The problem is a slight leak which has gone unnoticed from the old cock below floor level and caused significant damp. Just need to cure weep at tap body/valve seal.

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Where's it leaking from andy ? The spindle or the join from the body to the base ?

7. andyjohnson15

andyjohnson15 New Member

Looks like just from the body to the base. Tightened packing gland and that seems fine.

8. Last Plumber

loctite 55
    you'll need to turn water off outside unless you're brave !

9. andyjohnson15

andyjohnson15 New Member

Cheers LP. Tried Fernox LS-X but no joy. I'll give 55 a go

10. Last Plumber

you need to wrap around the back of the thread to sandwich it between the body and flat part of innerds, (name escapes me). there used to be a fibre washer in there which has possibly broken, hence the leak.

don't put it on the thread though. The joint is where those two flat surfaces meet.

you may be best with water off and removing innerds to clean that surface off properly first.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  11. andyjohnson15

andyjohnson15 New Member

My thoughts too. Cheers LP

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Or use loctite 577 on the threads of the body but as above water will need to be off