Search the forum,

Discuss illegal to open case unless gsr in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonw

can someone show me where it is written in law that it is illegal for a homeowner to remove the case of their own boiler unless they are gsr? not touching any gas parts just looking for leak in cold water supply.

The reasoning behind it is that on many boilers the case forms part of the combustion seal.

As a consequence if you remove it you have no means to test to make sure it's been installed again properly

The reasoning behind it is that on many boilers the case forms part of the combustion seal.

As a consequence if you remove it you have no means to test to make sure it's been installed again properly

Thanks that is a proper useful answer.

I'm not sure from typed wording if that's sarcasm or not but that is the reason it's pretty cut and dry

I'm not sure from typed wording if that's sarcasm or not but that is the reason it's pretty cut and dry

No definitely not sarcasm. It was a really useful answer because now I understand why which is better than just knowing the rule. Many thanks.

I am a truth seeker and would never use sarcasm.

Riley, I dont suppose do you happen to know if that is the case for the greenstar 24/28i junior? No probs if not I'll ask my gas safety guy on his next visit.

image.jpg

Riley, I dont suppose do you happen to know if that is the case for the greenstar 24/28i junior? No probs if not I'll ask my gas safety guy on his next visit.

Yes it is as there's no secondary case for the gas parts

Yes that is a nice picture. Obviously I know working with gas is dangerous. Which is why I asked the question which was to yield a discussion to figure out what constitutes 'gas works' as apposed to plumbing. Riley's answer superbly and succinctly cut straight to what I needed to know. Your picture is clever, even funny but not actually very helpful.

You're probably referring to your thread that I closed down.

As Riley said above, many cases form part of the combustion seal. We don't expect you to know which ones and, to be honest, we can't be bothered to wade through the hundreds of manufacturers instructions to answer each query.

So we take a wide and sweeping view on the matter. Same goes with pcbs as many of these need setting up after replacement.

At the end of the day we try to take a responsible position with regards to your safety which occasionally means telling you to stop and get someone in.

Normally people this happens to get snippy and either pm us or spam us resulting in a ban.

However, you've asked a reasonable question and accepted the answer. Thank you for that.

You're probably referring to your thread that I closed down.

As Riley said above, many cases form part of the combustion seal. We don't expect you to know which ones and, to be honest, we can't be bothered to wade through the hundreds of manufacturers instructions to answer each query.

So we take a wide and sweeping view on the matter. Same goes with pcbs as many of these need setting up after replacement.

At the end of the day we try to take a responsible position with regards to your safety which occasionally means telling you to stop and get someone in.

Normally people this happens to get snippy and either pm us or spam us resulting in a ban.

However, you've asked a reasonable question and accepted the answer. Thank you for that.

Nicely said croppie, I understand you get some right shirty nutters on forums :)
I'm booking a guy to come and do it next week. And now I know more than I did this morning I can politely inform people in the pub that they are wrong. I bet most people don't know that the case can be a functional component. Cheers chaps.

GSIUR 26/9 covers it. No grey area afaic.

26/9 Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately thereafter examine—

(a)the effectiveness of any flue;

(b)the supply of combustion air;

(c)its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;

(d)its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,

and forthwith take all reasonable practicable steps to notify any defect to the responsible person and, where different, the owner of the premises in which the appliance is situated or, where neither is reasonably practicable, in the case of an appliance supplied with liquefied petroleum gas, the supplier of gas to the appliance, or, in any other case, the transporter.

It is written in the Gas Safety (installation and use) Regulations 1998.
Part 1, section 3(1) - No person shall carry out work in relation to a gas fitting unless they are competent to do so. In England only a gas safe registered engineer is deemed as competent.

So to take off a boiler case you would be breaching these regulations as most boiler casings have a gas tight seal on them and upon replacement it has to checked to make sure it is back on correctly with no leakage. Hope this clears it up for you.

How true, I have only been asked once when It was CORGI and again only once since GSR for my I.D. it never fails to amaze me how trusting the public are with their lives and property. The money spent on gas safe week is totally to try and pacify the gsr members that they are actually doing something to promote the use of genuine gsr engineers !!!

It's all very true and I fully and totally agree.

Just a point to raise though !

By having this conversation on a forum where anyone can read it, does that not confirm to the DIYers that they might be OK to take the case off and crack on.

Should this not be moved to gas safe reg only forum ? ?

Only thinking of us ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to illegal to open case unless gsr in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock