Search the forum,

Discuss If you need to fix something to a tiled/solid that has pipes popping out of it... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
*tiled/solid floor

What do you do?

Thusfar I've hit and hoped and got away with. Aiming to plonk fixing in a place I "sense" won't be in same place as the run and go to the bare minimal depth for a good fixing.

Like today, tiled floor, small cloakroom, mains popping up in corner. Pan to fit. Were it heavy and sitting very stably I'd be tempted to silicone, especially if can get good fixing on cistern to wall. But wasn't in this case.

Apart from refusing the job, not sure what you're meant to do?

Have you tried one if those pipe/cable/stud finders? Might help find the pipes? Otherwise I'd do what you suggested - get a good fixing on the cistern and silicone the pan to the floor.

If any doubt, I drill bare minimum depth, making sure drill is held from plunging deeper and I take it slowly. You know on most modern screed floors that you will normally be safe on copper pipes being a lot deeper than just an inch. Screed is so weak that easy just to very slowly drill with a cordless combi and a normal masonry bit, not the blunt sds bits.
On the large pans, I feel happy just with final bead of clear silicone to tiles

Ask cus / tiler anything in floor, and get them to sign if you hit anything it's not your fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to If you need to fix something to a tiled/solid that has pipes popping out of it... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock