Search the forum,

Discuss Identifying cold water supply pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ladies and gents - I have a very easy question that I need help with and had no idea where to ask so thought this would be as good a place as any.

I need to find out which pipe is the cold water supply in the upstairs of my house.

I can easily tell which one it is downstairs because I can trace the pipes to the cold water taps and to the stopcock. Upstairs however there are no taps, just a boiler. I can't turn the boiler on and see what pipes warm up and what don't because the previous owner didn't pay their bill and the gas has been disconnected.

I have a logic combo 30 boiler and has seven pipes emitting from underneath. I simply need to know which of these pipes is the cold water supply. Simple as that!

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Upload a file next to the post reply

If you have a look under the boiler they should be labelled

IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG

First pipe on the right of the white centre pipe

(The one with the silver bubble on)

Hello ladies and gents - I have a very easy question that I need help with and had no idea where to ask so thought this would be as good a place as any.

I need to find out which pipe is the cold water supply in the upstairs of my house.

I can easily tell which one it is downstairs because I can trace the pipes to the cold water taps and to the stopcock. Upstairs however there are no taps, just a boiler. I can't turn the boiler on and see what pipes warm up and what don't because the previous owner didn't pay their bill and the gas has been disconnected.

I have a logic combo 30 boiler and has seven pipes emitting from underneath. I simply need to know which of these pipes is the cold water supply. Simple as that!

Thank you so much!

More often than not the darkest copper pipe, (presuming they are in copper of course) would be cold.
The fact that is is always cold means that there is more condensation on it than any other pipe and therefore more oxide.
Having said that, I am speaking as a person with a trained eye. There are normally other indicators that would help identify it. For example, it would quite often on route to a bathroom be alongside a hot pipe. one would be lightly oxidised and the cold heavily oxidised.

Do not blame me if you cut the wrong one!

I haven't seen the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Identifying cold water supply pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
For residential housing, what are the current regulations and/or recommended/standard practices regarding the supply of cold water to the taps on kitchen sinks and bathroom washbasins? Must the supply come directly from the mains or can it come from the cold water storage tank? Or is the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock