Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Ideas of installation please... in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

hi lads,

One of my customers wants to restore an old cast iron bathtub which is presumably very Have I'd recon about 130-140kg.

1) is there an easy and straight forward way of strengthen the floor?
    We are planning to rip the whole floor off and put Marin ply down.

2) any idea of how to install the cast iron bathtub flush with the wall because of leaks later on? What's the best way of installing the bathtub to make it seal?

It will be a vintage looking like Bathroom with Burlington taps and toilet with a long wall mounted cast iron cistern , Victorian style tiles on the floor and walls, etc...

Pictures attached

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You wrong bath for up against a wall

3. Matchless.plumb

What you mean I am wrong don't get your what you mean .

4. ShaunCorbs

Can't install them against a wall

There designed for a gap all around

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matchless.plumb

I would off thought so just wanted to make sure. What if we install like a frame where the bath sits into it?

Still wouldn't be good I think because of the water sitting constantly between the bathedge and the wall. Ok so, the bath is made for free standing like right

6. ShaunCorbs

Only option would be something like this but very different so be it's a no go with the cus

IMG_2945.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matchless.plumb

That's what he initially wanted, but he had a look this weekend for some cast iron bathtubs.

The most baths he found were in plastic same style like your picture.

Thanks for the help shauni thumbs up

8. ShaunCorbs

There are a few cast iron but they won't be anything like the old ones

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matchless.plumb

Yes, we already had a good look on heritage and Burlington, fired earth. He wanted first one for £800 but he wasn't really convinced. However, now he has chosen the one you showed me above.

10. Matchless.plumb

That won't work really will it? It looks a bit diy style don't you think

IMG_2628.jpg

11. ShaunCorbs

If your looking for that, just go for a nice stnd metal bath / old stnd cast iron not the roll top

12. Matchless.plumb

I a man not looking for him, he just asked me if that was possible to install such a bathtub. I was like yes but not onto the wall ( not flush ) . but came here just to confirm.

I get what you meanregarding the straight flush metal baths. Thanks for your help shauni!!!!

13. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Match those type of baths are free standing and need a gap all around i am doing a victorian bathroom with a heritage cast iron bath adding a few cross braceings between the joists where the bath stands, the plan is to remove the existing floor boards where the bath stands and replace with marine ply screwed down the first fix is done, i will start tiling monday in the walk in shower post some pictures when a bit further on cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matchless.plumb

That would highly appreciated KOP. I am having 2 bathrooms coming up which will have the vintage style look. So, it would be nice to see how you done the bathroom. We are going to put marine ply down in the whole bathroom.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NickH

NickH Active Member

Just on a technical note. It can be a mistake to replace existing softwood floor boards with ply just because you think ply is stronger . In fact softwood tounge and groove floor boards in good condition are much more rigid than ply. If you don't have to take the whole floor up to alter pipe work etc. then it's often better to keep the existing floor boards and just screw them all down with 60mm screws. Pre drill first of course.

16. Matchless.plumb

I understand where you coming from but for tiling it will be much more level than floorboards. The floorboards currently are very waved so better off changing them.