Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal logic combi 30 lossing pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammathias

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Originally i got called out to the boiler which was losing pressure every 6 weeks or so. Vessel was flat and prv leaking. So recharged and changed prv.

That lasted 4 weeks and i got called back yesterday. All the rads are full and no leaks to be found.

I isolated the boiler and cut the condensate so it discharged into a bucket hoping when i returned tonight 24 hours later there would of been some drops of water atleast. No joy. I understand that these boilers where prone to leaking heat exchangers. Should i have left it longer before going back and checking??

Anything else it could be? Cheers

If it's not boiler I would say system

No internal boiler leaks ???

No internal leaks, no leaks on rads. No pipwork in concrete flooring. Pipwork is all under floorboards. Id expect to see atleast staining on ceilings if its losing 1bar over 4 weeks could be wrong tho. Boilers only 4 years old!

I would pressure test system to 4-5 bar least you know where you stand

The heat exchanges seem to leak in the same spot
Did you take the burner out and have a look at the top?

Maybe its a leak that only shows when the system is hot?

Didnt take the burner out, i did think maybe the hex leaks more when its hot...i did only top it upto 1.5 bar and left it for 24 hours. Maybe i should just pressurise the boiler to 3 bar and leave it a few days. See if its passing any water. Maybe that extra pressure when system is hot is when its leaking.

Personally I would put it to 2 to 2.5 bar.

Nightmare jobs these

I have always found them to leak only when they’re hot and the aluminium expands.

The heat exchanges seem to leak in the same spot
Did you take the burner out and have a look at the top?

Maybe its a leak that only shows when the system is hot?

Scott are you saying that it leaks on top of the burner?? Would this be visable without stripping it down or would the
water pass out through the condensate?

The main heat exchanger seems to have a common leak spot on the older models
If it's constant it should drip through to the condensate trap, if it only does it when warm you would need to take the burner out.
It looks difficult if you haven't done one before as you turn and rotate but it's actually a good design I think.

The main heat exchanger seems to have a common leak spot on the older models
If it's constant it should drip through to the condensate trap, if it only does it when warm you would need to take the burner out.
It looks difficult if you haven't done one before as you turn and rotate but it's actually a good design I think.

Any seals need renewing if i take out burner?

The fan gasket and burner gasket can be reused unless they get damaged when removing
If it's not been touched fir years then I would take new ones with you.
I service quite a few on a local new build estate.
I had one break in the first year service and one that was about 5 years old, the rest I have reused with no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal logic combi 30 lossing pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock