Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal logic 30 combi. HW issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi, tonight's job is as follows. Cust has just bought the house and not moved in yet, currently decorating.

Been to look at their ideal logic 30. Boiler in the kitchen. Shower is a thermostatic bar. Water runs Luke warm. Basin runs a bit better but runs cooler the higher the flow. Bath hot tap is the same if I turn the flow down the water runs hotter. ( the tap itself seems in need of a repair as the water either dribbles out or shoots out, I think the valve needs greasing and new washer)

kitchen hot runs much better but only 1m from the boiler but then in full flow it runs lukewarm. Normally I would go straight for the hex but the boiler was serviced in September, the notes on the service record say 'leak on hex, needs replacing'.

The boiler was still under warranty at the time and apparently Ideal went out in November and changed numerous parts including the hex but there is no proof of this. The cust has a document from solicitor showing this info but have been advised they have to contact ideal for confirmation this part has been changed at a cost of £20 which they are doing tomorrow.

The problem is just because the ideal engineer might have said he changed the hex doesn't mean he did. The boiler is reasonably new so it's not as though I can look at the hex and see if it looks new or not.

If it's not the plate, what else could it be?

Thanks

Usual HW problem on these is the turbine , cover off run a hot tap , the sensor should show a solid red light , not expensive, easy to change but check it first

Usual HW problem on these is the turbine , cover off run a hot tap , the sensor should show a solid red light , not expensive, easy to change but check it first

Thanks will go back up tomorrow night and check that.

The hex gets extremely hot if it makes any difference, too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds.

Do those units have a water temperature sensor ( plunge sensor / thermister )

Should be screwed into or clamped onto hot water pipe with a couple of wires connected to it.

What your describing fits the bill with a faulty sensor

Do those units have a water temperature sensor ( plunge sensor / thermister )

Should be screwed into or clamped onto hot water pipe with a couple of wires connected to it.

What your describing fits the bill with a faulty sensor

Does it cycle on hot water? Also whats the gas supply like?

Boiler stays alight on hw, temp is stable so long as taps are not run on full flow.

Back tonight as was short of time last night will check everything over and update.

For anyone interested.

Solid red light on flow turbine.

Removed plate and cleaned out with descaling chemical. Got a bit of debris out but not the worst I've seen.

Replaced plate and tested. Kitchen hot tap runs extremely hot at about 75% flow, if I increase to max it runs lukewarm. Cuts can live with this.

Basin upstairs, hot water temperature is reached, then it dips out then it will reach temperature again, gets very hot. It will run fine at about 75% again.

I had to repair the bath hot tap (grease and new washer). The bath hot tap seems to be running fine, no issues.

Thermostatic bar shower, the pressure on when this is used is extremely high, much higher than the taps. If it's run on max temp at about 60/70% it's perfect but if you increase the flow/pressure it will cool down. I said they could do with replacing it, it seems to make a strange noise intermittently. I have told them to see how things go when they move in.

When the hot water is running the return pipe also gets hot, about 10mm down from the return service valve, it's not going far.

There us no hw sensor, the hw works off the return sensor.

Is there anything else that could be causing this to run intermittently?

For anyone interested.

Solid red light on flow turbine.

Removed plate and cleaned out with descaling chemical. Got a bit of debris out but not the worst I've seen.

Replaced plate and tested. Kitchen hot tap runs extremely hot at about 75% flow, if I increase to max it runs lukewarm. Cuts can live with this.

Basin upstairs, hot water temperature is reached, then it dips out then it will reach temperature again, gets very hot. It will run fine at about 75% again.

I had to repair the bath hot tap (grease and new washer). The bath hot tap seems to be running fine, no issues.

Thermostatic bar shower, the pressure on when this is used is extremely high, much higher than the taps. If it's run on max temp at about 60/70% it's perfect but if you increase the flow/pressure it will cool down. I said they could do with replacing it, it seems to make a strange noise intermittently. I have told them to see how things go when they move in.

When the hot water is running the return pipe also gets hot, about 10mm down from the return service valve, it's not going far.

There us no hw sensor, the hw works off the return sensor.

Is there anything else that could be causing this to run intermittently?

So you have a solid red light on the hall sensor all of the time during hot water. Amd you have good flow from the tap ?
Have you taken the turbine out and cleaned it.
Also have you cleaned the flow regulator and filter ?

Both thermistors should be
At 60 degrees"ish 2500ohm
at 85 degreesish 1000ohm

If they are wildly different then replace.

And at 75% tap opening its gas rating fine. And with the hot tap wide open its still gas rating fine - no drop off ?

Only other thing is tap max flow is more than the boiler can heat

Last edited by a moderator:
what descaler did you use? only real strong acid gets rid of all the crap i.e sulphuric
sounds like the plate is just blocked

I would say more flow than the boiler can cope with

What kw rating is it ash ?

Have you tried a flowcup ash to see if its as per manufacturer flowrate .

So you have a solid red light on the hall sensor all of the time during hot water. Amd you have good flow from the tap ?
Have you taken the turbine out and cleaned it.
Also have you cleaned the flow regulator and filter ?

Both thermistors should be
At 60 degrees"ish 2500ohm
at 85 degreesish 1000ohm

If they are wildly different then replace.

And at 75% tap opening its gas rating fine. And with the hot tap wide open its still gas rating fine - no drop off ?

Only other thing is tap max flow is more than the boiler can heat

Thanks.

Yes solid red light.

Turbine has been cleaned, it's brand new.

Didn't do the regulator.

Where do you get the info to test the thermistors?

It was working a lot better last night when I finished and once the temperature was reached it was staying there. Unless on 100% flow.

Last edited:
what descaler did you use? only real strong acid gets rid of all the crap i.e sulphuric
sounds like the plate is just blocked

Hi I used fx2, I got some debris out but not a lot. It's a new plate.

This is the only way of determining whether the boiler is working as per the spec. The cold incoming water temp in the winter makes the hot water cooler. Check the manual for what temperature rise you should be getting at what flow rate, so like 11 l/min at 35 degree temp rise. The incoming main will be about 10 degrees roughly at this time of year so with a flow of 11l/min you should see a water temp of 45 degrees as an example.

This is the only way of determining whether the boiler is working as per the spec. The cold incoming water temp in the winter makes the hot water cooler. Check the manual for what temperature rise you should be getting at what flow rate, so like 11 l/min at 35 degree temp rise. The incoming main will be about 10 degrees roughly at this time of year so with a flow of 11l/min you should see a water temp of 45 degrees as an example.

I just had another look at the manual.

It says dhw flow rate is 12.4. If the flow rate is over this, it will affect the operation in hw mode?

Is this what you mean?

Exactly, if the flow is higher then the temperature rise will be less resulting in lower temperature water. Manufacturers normally quote either a 35 or 40 degree temp rise.

Get your flow cup and digital thermometer out to confirm.

Exactly, if the flow is higher then the temperature rise will be less resulting in lower temperature water. Manufacturers normally quote either a 35 or 40 degree temp rise.

Ok thanks that makes it easier to understand.

If the flow is too high for the boiler what is the best solution, would it be higher kW boiler or is there a cheaper, easier option.

Ok thanks that makes it easier to understand.

If the flow is too high for the boiler what is the best solution, would it be higher kW boiler or is there a cheaper, easier option.

Turn the cw inlet down til flow is reduced to what boiler can cope with. May increase water noise slightly

As above, easiest way is to restrict the flow going into the boiler or alternatively just advise the customer on the limitations of their boiler. Understanding how it works will enable them to get water at the temperature they desire.

As above, easiest way is to restrict the flow going into the boiler or alternatively just advise the customer on the limitations of their boiler. Understanding how it works will enable them to get water at the temperature they desire.

I actually tried that last night, I also restricted the flow on the basin hot at the ISO but due to the noise I opened it up again. Thanks for the info. :)

I actually tried that last night, I also restricted the flow on the basin hot at the ISO but due to the noise I opened it up again. Thanks for the info. :)

Debris build up in the plate.

Cust said now all working fine, I told them to let me know if it changes and I'd have another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal logic 30 combi. HW issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock