Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal logic 30 combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
£1100?! Jesus that's cheap. Is that with new roomstat or is he reusing the old?
If I was fitting one for mother Teresa I would have to charge her more than that

If this question is about the Ideal Logic boiler I opted for the Vaillant in the end... Fitted for £1300

1300 fitted! Good god. I'm glad im not having to compete with these prices anymore.

I would be interested to see a picture or two of the installation, or a copy of the quote if you would be willing to share.
Its sounds like you got a bargain

I would be interested to see a picture or two of the installation, or a copy of the quote if you would be willing to share.

It amazes me the response from some of you gas fitters. If someone else is cheaper than them they are doing it to cheap.... scandalous... OMG... etc etc
This was for a rental property... I have to get the best deal.... I shop around and I haggle. From memory the boiler and bits were £900 ish so the fitter got £400 for a days work. Boiler out boiler in, plus whatever else is involved. The boiler was installed in a cupboard which had to be taken apart for access.
Most people dont earn £150 for a days work let alone £400.
In my book all you are doing is putting yourself to shame and giving away just how much profit you want from fitting a boiler... makes my blood boil let alone the water.
INCIDENTALLY... I live 40 miles away from this particular property and 12 months prior to this boiler I had another Vaillant fitted at my home address. Removal of TWO boilers, one for water and one for heating and new Vaillant installed in place of both... THE COST £1300.

It amazes me the response from some of you gas fitters. If someone else is cheaper than them they are doing it to cheap.... scandalous... OMG... etc etc
This was for a rental property... I have to get the best deal.... I shop around and I haggle. From memory the boiler and bits were £900 ish so the fitter got £400 for a days work. Boiler out boiler in, plus whatever else is involved. The boiler was installed in a cupboard which had to be taken apart for access.
Most people dont earn £150 for a days work let alone £400.
In my book all you are doing is putting yourself to shame and giving away just how much profit you want from fitting a boiler... makes my blood boil let alone the water.
INCIDENTALLY... I live 40 miles away from this particular property and 12 months prior to this boiler I had another Vaillant fitted at my home address. Removal of TWO boilers, one for water and one for heating and new Vaillant installed in place of both... THE COST £1300.

Unfortunately £400 labour charge for fitting a boiler is not all profit. Are you aware of the expense of running a small business?

You need to look at overheads - public liability insurance, vehicle costs, Gas safe registration, waste transfer licence. What about the cost of my tools, do you expect me to turn up and use a grands worth of combustion analyser out of the goodness of my heart, what about the drill and bits I'm wearing out fitting your boiler? My blow torch costs around £70 and I go through one a year due to the amount of use it gets. Steel toe cap boots at £80 a pair, last about a year.

How about holidays? As a self employed heating engineer when I take a holiday I don't earn any money so I have to make sure that I earn enough the rest of the time to cover the two weeks that I take off.

What about time spent estimating and paperwork? Surely I'm working when doing this so deserve to get paid for it, but no I don't get paid so this time has to be allowed for in my daily/hourly rate.

I get sick and tired of being accused of being money grabbing for wanting to charge a fair rate by someone who works 9-5 5 days a week and has 5 weeks holiday a year. When was the last time you were out at 7 in the morning clearing the back of your van out because you got home too late the night before to clear it out?

Your rantings dont wash with me... I have been self employed for 31 years so I know all about the costs of running a business. The first 6 years of being self employed I used to work seven days a week and loved every minute of it.
In my dealings with different tradesman with my properties they will gladly work for £100 to 160 a day depending on the trade and that is paid by cheque.
What about a car mechanic... He has to have a grands worth of tools which he has to buy himself and anybody similar who need boots has to buy there own. He Doesnt charge anybody else for them. He pays for them out of his salary which if pushed might be £100 a day.
On Friday I will be out at 6.30 am to drive a round trip of 250 miles in a car paid for by myself and likewise fuel in the tank.
Your only argument that I agree with is the holidays but I have been in that boat for 31 years so that dont wash with me either.

You have well and truly rattled Mikes cage there, I tend to agree with Mike though, the £400 'earnings' will have materials coming out of that, unless the installer has his own copper mine.

magnetic filters, waste pipe, earth bonding strips, glue, flux, solder, screws, clips, cement, gas, plus all the business overheads mentioned would at least half them 'earnings' if not more.

If I was a landlord myself, I would tend to want to keep expenses low so I could make a profit, but being 31 years self employed I would have thought you would have known better with regard to somebody charging what thier skills are worth. A mechanic of any decent standard is worth more than 100 a day, that's obvious.

For the training plumbers and heating engineers have to do, the work they put in, the things they have to carry, if you think 100 a day is ok I think you are living in fantasy land.

Your rantings dont wash with me... I have been self employed for 31 years so I know all about the costs of running a business. The first 6 years of being self employed I used to work seven days a week and loved every minute of it.
In my dealings with different tradesman with my properties they will gladly work for £100 to 160 a day depending on the trade and that is paid by cheque.
What about a car mechanic... He has to have a grands worth of tools which he has to buy himself and anybody similar who need boots has to buy there own. He Doesnt charge anybody else for them. He pays for them out of his salary which if pushed might be £100 a day.
On Friday I will be out at 6.30 am to drive a round trip of 250 miles in a car paid for by myself and likewise fuel in the tank.
Your only argument that I agree with is the holidays but I have been in that boat for 31 years so that dont wash with me either.

£100 a day for this job SE??? Are you drunk?

i could get £120/£130 a day on the cards if I wanted, why would I like all the extra hassle that being SE brings for less than I could get working for someone else.

Even at your more realist £160 a day you're still pushing it.

I know what I'm worth, I know what I can get and I'm happy with what I earn.

I would however cry myself to sleep at night if I was earning £100 a day

I live 40 miles away from this particular property and 12 months prior to this boiler I had another Vaillant fitted at my home address. Removal of TWO boilers, one for water and one for heating and new Vaillant installed in place of both... THE COST £1300.

I bet you a fiver this boiler isn't to regs :)

£1300 was a steal... I would have fitted one for this when I was more naive. But if your engineer is giving everybody this kind of rate, he won't be earning any kind of living.... Must be desperate and just 'getting by'. The cost of being a self employed engineer are truly horrific if you do everything by the book

Just out of interest what job do you do? or are you solely a landlord?

As to your point about the garage and mechanic I am not sure where you take your car but I bet you that the owner of the garage is not earning £100-£160 a day but alot more otherwise it is not worth the extra hassle and risk involved yes the mechanics probably are but out of the cost of your car service money goes towards the building tools etc involved to carry out the work unless they just look at it and say its serviced.

You could earn more than that on the tills in Aldi. Some of these posts make me smile.

self employed garage mechanic on £100 a day???
Are you high gordon??

Most garages charge out £60 plus per hour and thats not a main dealer !!!

if a gas fitter charges themselves out at £40 per hour thats still bottom ,

people like the op are one of the reason why the economy is in the doldroms

Sounds like the boiler fell off the back of a wagon

Be fair £100 a day cash, was a good price cos the guy was topping up his dole money

The fitter was Vaillant registered and was able to give five years guarantee because of that.

I didnt say anything about self emplyed. I was just a reference to the plumber who made a point about having to buy tools and boots. My comparison was the garage mechanic who has to buy his own tools and boots

As long as he's happy with what he got, your happy with what you paid out & got the benchmark filled in, gas safe certificate it's a win win situation....no worries...

Hi Guys

I am having an Ideal Logic 30 combi boiler fitted next week at a cost of £1100 fitted and it has a 7 year guarantee subject to annual servicing. I think the price is reasonable but can anybody tell me if I am doing the right thing. I can have a Vaillant eco tec 28 fitted for £1300 but the guarantee is only 2 years. I know ideal have not been too good in the past but have they now got it right with this boiler.
Many thanks in advance to all who give advice.

You mean £1100 not including the cost of the boiler?

Just going on the logic plus 30 quote......

Wow £1,100???

I fitted the exact same boiler yesterday and even with a bundle (boiler, flue, magnaclean and chems), then add the programmer, stat, limebeater and flush.......£1,100 NEARLY covered the materials!
Did the installer fit for free??

I take it the system was flushed or that warranty he gave you isn't worth squat.

If the instal was official and above board for that money you got a bargain, well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal logic 30 combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock