Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Classic FF230 British Gas Declared boiler "At risk" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
this distance from boundary has realy only come to light with the advent of condensing boilers which this isnt

Have you ask'd Ideal's opinion, ring them , we are allways told refer to MI.

Hi steve ! Are we the only one's to notice that this is-not a steamer ???????????

right, I've just phoned up British Gas and they're sending someone out in the morning "to have a look at it" so we'll see what they've got to say!

Hi steve ! Are we the only one's to notice that this is-not a steamer ???????????

Steamer lol .... The op probalby doesn't give stuff IMHO .. They're more concerned by sounds of it at the approach the BG engineer took leaving them with out heating and hot water! Good right too IMHO!

How cares if it's not steaming; the concern is POC.

Anyways, MI's should tell all.

arent they suppose to check this sort of stuff before they agree to accept you onto the scheme? i can understand the emissions but obv the flue hasnt moved while the op has been in the service scheme

if the flue is fitted to Manufactures instructions then there is no issues with either the window or boundary imo.

just looked at ideal classic mi's and theres no mention of a distance from boundary when running paralel to flue axis aftyer getting a high reading then stripping and cleaning if the reading was still high the gas rate and burner preasure should be checked as well as flame picture if all good it can be left on

BS 5400-1:2008 states 300mm from boundary so in that respect it is NCS.

As for the High combustion readings the classic flues are like tracing paper and the inner can rot through within a few years. Giving elevated readings.

Sound like the Engineer was out of his depth and made a sharp exit.

Do we know if BG engineer chacked burner press etc ? did he brush out EX ? or just FGA it !

BS 5400-1:2008 states 300mm from boundary so in that respect it is NCS.

Gas regs on most things are not retrospective which is why they class things as NCS which should really be classed as WGAF. It is a pointless paper exercise brought about by claims are us type stuff. CYA is what it is all about now.

As for the op, the guy on the job only done what was required to keep himself in a job. 99% of people on here would have done the same. It is the way things are these days especially working for the big mobs. Blame it on the claim culture.

Gas regs on most things are not retrospective which is why they class things as NCS which should really be classed as WGAF. It is a pointless paper exercise brought about by claims are us type stuff. CYA is what it is all about now.

As for the op, the guy on the job only done what was required to keep himself in a job. 99% of people on here would have done the same. It is the way things are these days especially working for the big mobs. Blame it on the claim culture.

wgaf?

Right guys an update, this morning I woke up to no hot water and on further inspection the pump was running but the boiler was not lighting! So after applying the text book fix of turning it off and on again to no avail, I gave the side of the boiler a whack and it sprung into life! Good job the engineer was already booked!

Anyway, it was a different guy this time and he quite quickly found that the gas valve was the wrong one for the boiler, and there was a spiders web partially obstructing the flue!

So he retested it, all levels now correct and boiler firing up, and he removed the "at risk" sign from the boiler.

I was at work and so it was the Mrs who was here again, but she said that the guy wasn't happy about the fact this hadn't been found by the last guy, but none of this was on the report, so I'm guessing he doesn't want to get the other guy in trouble!

Thanks wards the light has come on :bulb2: you'll have to excuse me it's an age thing :wheelchair:

How long has the gas valve been in. Before or after BGs last service?

Looks like the original BG bloke got out of his depth.

Has this gas valve been changed B4 ? and if so who by ? and how long ago ? could it be BG !!

How long has the gas valve been in. Before or after BGs last service?

Looks like the original BG bloke got out of his depth.

I'm not aware of it being changed in the time we've lived here (almost 3 years) but I think the guy said that it was the bloke that came out in february!

Passing the buck, if last engineer fitted wrong valve think he needs retraining as this would have been ID.

Surely if it was the wrong valve fitted previously, it would have stopped working sooner, just seems weird it packed up a few days after the last bloke came!

Here's a picture of the Flue and the window, all as was when house was built! The report doesn't actually list what the readings were, just that it failed, but readings were all perfect in February!

View attachment 6943

That looks alot closer than a meter to me :dizzy2:

More like about 2 foot.

Anyway, with that aside it's not likely to be anything majorly wrong with the boiler and probably just needs adjusting slightly.

Like everybody else has said, if they wont come out to fix it ASAP get somebody who actually know's what there doing in, and then pass the bill to BG

So no proof that it was wrong valve, would have been under orders not to leave any evidence, have you thought about changing insurance cover

BG engineers should not leave any old parts behind. They are supposed to return them to their distribution center to be properly disposed of.

Some ideal classic only require 25mm to boundary, as I was taught rtfm!

Hi Guys, a further update or should I say correction!

When my wife came home from work I asked her to tell me in more detail what the BG engineer said and did, and basically with the help of an exploded diagram of our boiler from the manual, she identified the part that he replaced which was in fact the air pressure switch and not the gas valve as she previously told me so apologies for that!

The guy looked it up on his computer and found it was the guy in February that had fitted it (I still don't understand why its taken this long to fail!)

He also said (like the rest of us) that he doesn't understand why the guy did what he did on Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Classic FF230 British Gas Declared boiler "At risk" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock