Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Classic FF230 British Gas Declared boiler "At risk" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me as I'm getting nowhere with British Gas on this matter!

On Thursday, BG came out to repair a leaking radiator (Under homecare agreement) as well as to rectify a fault in the hot water system (he replaced the 3 port valve in the airing cupboard) and unfortunatly I was at work but my wife was at home.

All was well until he started looking at the boiler and testing it, whereby it failed the emmissions test, so he cleaned it up and retested it and it failed again saying that the emmissions were too high, he then went on to mention that where the flue terminal is, is not to current regulations which I was already aware of (it is apparantly to close to our kitchen window) but have been told previously that its nothing to worry about, but what happened next I found quite extreme, he stuck a label on the boiler saying it was "at risk" and shouldn't be used until repaired, and also issued a certificate to the same effect stating that the gas supply had been isolated and cannot be used until repaired, but didn't!

My wife asked if the boiler needed replacing and was told no, and then left!

When I got home and read through all the paperwork I was at a loss as to what was wrong, especially as a different BG engineer came out in February to recharge the expansion vessel and replace the PRV and said that the boiler was fine and that its a really good boiler (Ideal Classic FF230). So I phoned up BG and asked for more info, the lady I spoke to didn't understand either why the engineer had taken the actions he did, and so phoned him whilst I was on the line and came back with that because it failed the emmisions test that why he did what he did, but the boiler is safe to use!!

She said that she would get him to ring me the next day and explain fully, but that didn't happen!

So basically what I want to know is, should I be worried about the above, and what does it mean by the emissions are too high?

Many thanks in advance!

Carlos_uk.

call in a independent gsr engineer there could be many causes of it failing a fga test

If really worried get an independant engineer to have a look at it, tell BG that you are going to do this for peace of mind and will pass on the cost of this to them.

Funny but BG came out on Thursday to a mate of mine for a service under his agreement, first visit in 18 months and documented that the earthe bonding was incorrect and termination of prv pipework incorrect. He told them that they better get it sorted then as they had installed it 18 months ago :)

Thanks guys, the thing I don't get is why they don't repair it as surely its covered under the homecare agreement?

It all eventually ends with BG trying to get a boiler swap out of you.
Even tho he said it didn't need a new boiler someone from BG will try and persuade you to part with your pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all eventually ends with BG trying to get a boiler swap out of you.
Even tho he said it didn't need a new boiler someone from BG will try and persuade you to part with your pennies.

Just out of interest, is it true what the previous engineer said about the boiler being a good one?

Yeah, ideal classics are a good boiler

in that case though it would only be NCS not to current standards . like above get an independent guy/girl in to check boiler emissions

is it a vertical flue ? picture could do well if posted ,could you read from the report the CO reading and post here

i dont really understand, if the engineer at risked the boiler and your covered under there insurance scheme then why have they not come back and repaired the appliance? they have taken your money to insure the boiler and system so make them earn it and insist they come back monday morning and fix the fault.

how far from the window is the flue ?

not far enough i bet. see this all the time where a boiler has been satisfactorily positioned, but cos a window has been replaced - a bottom opening sash window for example changed for a top opening upvc and hey presto boiler position now fouls the regs.

to the op- nothing to worry about? suppose bg told you that as well...products of combustion kill, you really don't want the window open when boiler is in use.

Reading the OP I would guess that it's the FGA readings that have caused the BG bloke to categorise the boiler as AR and cap off (permission not mentioned).

But agree with AWheating boiler is insured with BG, get then back to fix it.

Only guessing but BG bloke may have been at a loss as to what to do next. FGA readings out, clean. FGA readings still out doh!

Here's a picture of the Flue and the window, all as was when house was built! The report doesn't actually list what the readings were, just that it failed, but readings were all perfect in February!

2012-06-17-016.jpg

Last edited:
Reading the OP I would guess that it's the FGA readings that have caused the BG bloke to categorise the boiler as AR and cap off (permission not mentioned).

But agree with AWheating boiler is insured with BG, get then back to fix it.

Only guessing but BG bloke may have been at a loss as to what to do next. FGA readings out, clean. FGA readings still out doh!

There was no mention of the boiler being shut off, he just stated that he had in the report! It states "High emissions on maximum rate, cleaned still high"

but what happened next I found quite extreme, he stuck a label on the boiler saying it was "at risk" and shouldn't be used until repaired, and also issued a certificate to the same effect stating that the gas supply had been isolated and cannot be used until repaired, but didn't!

Read your original post again Carlos_UK and realise what the 'but didn't' means.

Why say it, issue paperwork but not do it?

Emissions would be high if just cleaned out, but it seems to me that the emissions from this elderly boiler could be pretty wildly variable.

Whats the problem with flue ?? Fan Flue 300mm (12") from window look in MI. looks to be plenty of distance from window !! This is an older type boiler how do you think these things were serviced B4 FGA readings were done look in service instructions ! Too much emphasis put on the use of FGA's ok on new type boilers but I think that to meny older boilers are being shut down due to FGA's being used.

Last edited:
I would have said it looks too close to the boundary if anything..

If your flue is wrong then every house in your block , poss the whole estate if built by same builder useing same boiler in same location Have a look at rest of houses near you bet their are loads just the same, have a estate in Saltash Cornwall about 8 years old non condensing boilers flues a lot closer then what yours are, all was passed by building reg's and gas regs at the time just not to currant requirements, not a problem as they complied with regs when fitted, it only becomes a problem if you want to fit a new boiler. Advise you ring Gas Safe on monday and ask them, its just BG think they are a law unto themselfs.

The flue is too close to the boundary. As for the high emissions, then it is for them to sort out as it is under contract and clearly something is wrong with the boiler. Call them out for a breakdown visit as your boiler isnt working and then it will be sent back to the engineer who visited you as a recall job.

Dont think boundary is a problem, just check and put a photo on of next door's boiler flue position is it the same as yours ???

bg...and people pay for this!!!!!!!!!.
every right to get the guy back and state in plain english what the probs are.

That's their back door and yes it is, my house is the mid terrace and so the neighbours flue on the other side is right next to our back door!

Hi Carlos_UK ... You should be covered under your contract for any work carried out to rectify the excess emissions issue. It's unfortunate the engineer didn't leave a print out for you! Why they went to the lengths they did is a mistery!!! Your lass smart? lol ....

If the emmissions were in excess of the regulation requirements we are obliged to make you aware and with your permission leave turned off :) If they haven't promised a return visit to rectify then I'd be a bit miffed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Classic FF230 British Gas Declared boiler "At risk" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock