Discuss ideal boiler cycling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ideal boiler which is currently cycling and driving us mad. It will only cycle within the set timed periods and once the set temp has been achieved. Fire up for 1 minutes and then goes into shutdown process. Five minutes later goes through same process. After speaking to ideal themselves they advised it could be the pump which we replaced but that dint work. We were then told it could be a blockage or air lock. This was checked and all was ok. They then said it would be the controls and this was checked by an electrician who confirmed everything was working and the issue could only be the pcb board. Got another engineer in who said it wouldnt be pcb board and it would be the upstairs thermostat which he replaced but surprise surprise still cycling. Therefore can the only thing left be an issue with the pcb board or could it be something else

No. Wish I was as would sort this issue myself and not rely on engineers who seem to contradict each other.

A fortune. Total so far with pump, engineers charges and other parts around £500. Being told pcb board if needed around £200 to £300.

Sorry to say it, but it sounds like quite a few guesses made so far. Replacing parts without evidence is not the right way to proceed, just saying. As a humble spark, I'd have done as @hammers4spanner has suggested.

Warranty has ended. I will ring ideal. Hopefully they won't charge too much.
By the sounds of it you have almost bought a new boiler anyway, but it seems to be a circulation problem is this a new build property ? or was it a boiler replacement ?

New build 3 years ago.

You can call Ideal out not sure what they charge if like most of the others it will be around £250, but they will only get involved with the boiler anything past that they wont touch , so if not a boiler fault you will still be charged for the call.

This sounds like a system circulation issue.

The symptoms described could be short-cycling due to a stuck-open or incorrectly set automatic bypass valve. Easy to diagnose. Just stick one thumb on each of the the pipes into and out of the ABV. If the sequence is something like: boiler fires, thirty seconds later one thumb says 'ouch', two seconds after that the other thumb says 'ouch' and after another 30s the boiler cuts out you've nailed it.

A relatively small radiator, probably close to the boiler, with the lockshield open too far might give similar symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ideal boiler cycling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back