Search the forum,

Discuss I'd like some comments please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derekat

I’m sorry this is long but I need to lay down the facts.

I’ve been in my house for 30 years. Prior to my ownership land to the side of the house was sold to the builder next door to expand his three bed house into a four with double garage rather than single.
This left my incoming mains under his garage and house. Because the house was extended forward and the level maintained my water main was around 5-6 foot below.

At some point, probably when the garage was built, the subsequent owner (also a builder) made what I suspect was an unlawful connection into my mains for a garage tap.

My incoming mains was in 15mm copper. I have had low water pressure since I arrived. I don’t recall ever bettering 1.75 Bar. I had assumed that more than the garage tap was connected so put it down to draw by my neighbours. Lately it had been 1.5 bar at best.

Early this year the pressure dropped to just over 1 Bar and showers and the washing machine became a problem. In May it dropped to .75 Bar on a good day.
To make it workable I bought a Salamander pump and pumped the rising main from which the shower was fed while I investigated.

I should add that following a good recovery from a tumour in my mouth in 2008 I became sick again in 2009 when I went downhill first with swollen legs and house maids knee. That rapidly became high blood pressure, balance problems, dizziness, hearing loss and tinnitus. I was no longer able to bend well due to my legs and a distended stomach. I became unable to climb a ladder due to the onset of vertigo. I’ve had many blood tests, an MRI, Ultrasound, Hearing assessment, Positional Tests and Physiotherapy to improve my balance.

I decided that I would investigate and to cut a long story short I discovered soft earth on my neighbours property. Once excavated water flow was considerable. I checked my neighbours and the usual supply pressure appeared to be 2.5 bar. I concluded that the loss was 1.5 bar.

Because of the development next door my mains is between 5 and 6ft below the floor level off the garage and a further 9 inches below the floor level of the house. The water table is high round here and it is quite likely that when the water table is at its highest there might be 5ft to 6ft of water pooling and presenting pressure at the leak.

The leak undermined a sewer serving the neighbour and water was seen running freely from it. The sewer serves their downstairs toilet and their utility room including butlers sink and a washing machine.
The site was also the rear garden of a farm workers cottage, no doubt littered with coal and wood ash, and the site of a former brick works. There is a near impermeable layer of grey clay which is why they made bricks in the area

I assume that if the water can escape into the sewer then the pool of water must be compromised in certain circumstances. My rough calculation says that 5-6 ft of water is nearly 2 bar at the pipe break.
Pumping the mains or indeed using the pressure washer could easily draw water from the pool as well as the pipe. There is about 30 meters of 15mm pipe from the neighbours plot to mine so my pipe work probably held 4-5 litres of possible bad water whenever the pump was operated or the pressure washer was used.

Following the discovery I project managed the replacement of my mains over my own property in blue. That gave me 2.5 bar. Within two days my dizziness went. I woke that morning to find my legs worked as they should, my tinnitus greatly reduced and my balance restored. My distended stomach lost an inch in a week. I went from being unable to bend at the knee to being able to squat and ride a push bike again in just over a week.

My neighbour’s insurance company came to site twice and made investigations but don’t have any real proof as to where the leak actually is just theories. It could be before the tap in the garage or after or at the joint. The garage floor is a raft construction over compacted hardcore spread on an existing driveway some 6”-9” thick of concrete with some clinker.

The insurance company were persuaded to contribute to my diversion rather than have a full scale excavation of the garage.

I have to consider making a claim (as I don't know what future well being might be) either against my or the neighbours insurance and decide what (if any) part the unlawful tap connection played. It may be that the connection passing between the two slabs for about a metre before descending vertically left the pipe unable to flex sufficiently to accommodate ground movement. I would be interested in hearing views.

Importantly does a shared main, even an unlawful one, stop being a shared main once it’s past the share. Logic tells me that it’s a shared main all the way to my stopcock and would only stop being a shared main if there was no longer a tap in the garage. The insurance company claim it’s only a shared main up to the garage tap. I think

Secondly as the main under the neighbor's house is no longer shared or even connected and the insurance company decided not to dig I assume he is now able to legitimately refuse to allow them any further access. He has a lovely house that he has improved over many years and I know he really can’t face telling his wife that the floors have to be dug up.

I would be interested in your views.

I would be surprised if 'dodgy' water contributing to your illnesses would not have shown up in blood tests etc. But then again I'm a plumber not a doctor.

Whats your question, in one sentence?

I assume that if the water can escape into the sewer then the pool of water must be compromised in certain circumstances. My rough calculation says that 5-6 ft of water is nearly 2 bar at the pipe break.

6 feet of water head is 0.179 bar.

If something is only used by 1 person it's not shared, so the water main after the garage take off is not shared.

The Insurance company are correct.

Last edited:
My view is your clutching at straws. Sounds more like you need to speak to one of them ambulance chasing firms rather than a plumber.

Dear Derekrat,

life is too short to bother with minor prob lems such as this. Get a new main laid to yourself, if the insurers are paying whats the issue, chill a bit and get on with life.

I too have a severe medical problem, having a fractured wrist that cant be repaired at present, hurts a bit, especially after the **** day I had today. Givng CPR to a badly injured casualty for a long period of time whilst the ambulance failed to arrive makes one realise that a bad wrist isnt that awful after all, there are worse things in life. Sadly our casualty didnt make it despite the efforts of around some fifteen folks giving their all for him.

Oh sorry, just got distracted, get over it you wont win and you'll make yourself ill again

yours

your loving agony plumber

I'm not sure I understand that. A cubic foot of water weighs 62 pounds.

The break is likely to be 5 ft down. so isn't that 5 Cu Ft at 62 pounds a foot.

The leak has undermined all the blinding to the hardcore between the two slabs and therefore has most likely carved out a large void above the pipe. I suspect that there could easily be more than 5 cu foot of water above the break.

As far as the share is concerned.

If you look at the main from my stopcock to the supplier's stopcock my main is shared.
It status (as it relates to me) doesn't change a third of the way down way, its still shared.
The only way it stops being a shared main is if the share is removed.

Is there an actual definition written down rather than opinion?

6 feet of water head is 0.179 bar.

If something is only used by 1 person it's not shared, so the water main after the garage take off is not shared.

The Insurance company are correct.

My view is your clutching at straws. Sounds more like you need to speak to one of them ambulance chasing firms rather than a plumber.

Not sure why you would conclude I'm clutching at straws. I've had a long term exposure to this pool of water.

It could well be full of Nitrates or Nitrites, Unusually high Sodium Levels from a water softener, detergents and toilet cleansers not to mention what gets flushed.

I'm not that interested in finding someone to blame but I am interested in establishing if I am going to have any further complications in the long term.

Whatever happens I'm insured but that's not the point. The point is to lay down a marker against which to measure what might happen in the future.

As part of that process I'm trying to decide where to direct my fire.

I think you have misunderstood.

I don't agree that those medical problems are minor issues.

I project managed the laying of a new 40 mt main in blue the second working day after the extent of the leak and continued water loss became apparent. My Neighbours Insurers simply made wild assumptions as to where the leak was and I needed to resolve it.

Once I established that water from the void was flowing into the sewer at the rate of several gallons per minute I knew I had to act. I was prepared to pay all the cost but I beat them up to pay a contribution.

From what you wrote I suspect I'm more pragmatic about this than you imagine.
I'm not aware that I demonstrated anything emotive in my outline of the facts.

Derek

Dear Derekrat,

life is too short to bother with minor prob lems such as this. Get a new main laid to yourself, if the insurers are paying whats the issue, chill a bit and get on with life.

I too have a severe medical problem, having a fractured wrist that cant be repaired at present, hurts a bit, especially after the **** day I had today. Givng CPR to a badly injured casualty for a long period of time whilst the ambulance failed to arrive makes one realise that a bad wrist isnt that awful after all, there are worse things in life. Sadly our casualty didnt make it despite the efforts of around some fifteen folks giving their all for him.

Oh sorry, just got distracted, get over it you wont win and you'll make yourself ill again

yours

your loving agony plumber

To give yourself some peace of mind, can you not run a tap in your house until the main starts slowing and then fill some clean vessels and have the water tested.

If you are concerned about the quality of your water and your health, this would be one of the first things I would be doing.

Take plenty of samples over a month and note the time and date of each example.

You don't need a great deal of water for the sample to be tested.

As for renewing your water service - I would get onto that asap.

Hi there

For the reasons you outlined I project managed the running of new 40 mt main in plastic within 48 hours after discovering the extent of the problem.

Derek

To give yourself some peace of mind, can you not run a tap in your house until the main starts slowing and then fill some clean vessels and have the water tested.

If you are concerned about the quality of your water and your health, this would be one of the first things I would be doing.

Take plenty of samples over a month and note the time and date of each example.

You don't need a great deal of water for the sample to be tested.

As for renewing your water service - I would get onto that asap.

And the moral of the story is that when you start to have problems with your incoming main is get onto your water provider or a plumber to resolve the underlying issue rather than just throwing a pump in.

Praise his holyness the WRAS , and its amazing a blue pipe layed cured your illness, im off to my local GP to see if i can sell alkethene at the pharmacy,,

Just kidding Derekat , im glad your feeling better but as far as claims go even with low pressure this wont cause illness, but stress can so best to seek medical advice

Are you suggesting that my mains water couldn't be contaminated by the pool formed under my neighbours garage?

I'm not suffering from stress. Not sure why you thought that. I feel better than I have for many years a turnaround that happened in days following the pipe re-route.

I'm not sure it would be possible to have sought any more medical advice than I did before this discovery. None of which was conclusive.

Derek

Praise his holyness the WRAS , and its amazing a blue pipe layed cured your illness, im off to my local GP to see if i can sell alkethene at the pharmacy,,

Just kidding Derekat , im glad your feeling better but as far as claims go even with low pressure this wont cause illness, but stress can so best to seek medical advice

My water supplier didn't want to know so that was a dead end.

The pump was temporary fix, while I investigated so I had a decent rising main. It was only on for a couple of weeks or so.

The water engineer sent by the insurer made two visits totaling 8 hours with a gang of two guys and left with no more information than I had established. This was despite having all the best toys, cameras, Hi vis jackets and brand new Dickies Trousers.

Derek

And the moral of the story is that when you start to have problems with your incoming main is get onto your water provider or a plumber to resolve the underlying issue rather than just throwing a pump in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I understand that. A cubic foot of water weighs 62 pounds.

The break is likely to be 5 ft down. so isn't that 5 Cu Ft at 62 pounds a foot.

The leak has undermined all the blinding to the hardcore between the two slabs and therefore has most likely carved out a large void above the pipe. I suspect that there could easily be more than 5 cu foot of water above the break.

Convert bar to feet of head - Conversion of Measurement Units

You're suggesting that all the weight of water would have been acting on a very small hole in a pipe.
The majority of that weight will have been acting on the surrounding ground.

The pump has only been on for 2 weeks this year, but you've been ill since 2009.

It's possible that with low enough water pressure in the main that the pump could have sucked in contaminated ground water which may have affected your health at that time, but doesn't explain why you were ill 5 years previous.

It's extremely unlikely that contaminated water could have found it's way in without the assistance of a pump.
The pressure in the pipe will always have been greater than the external pressure.

Your O.P asked for comments, the majority of which are trying to be helpfull by suggesting you don't really have a chance of proving your case.

To recover within a couple of days would seem amazing as well if it was a water borne infection.

Last edited:
Don't think we're going to get anywhere with this one.

The comments have been rather tetchy on both sides. Closing the thread now before the abuse really starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I'd like some comments please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock