Search the forum,

Discuss I want to get ito gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont no were fast track comes from cos it took me a yr and a half to do mine,plus id already been in the trade yrs to me thats not fast track,also there,s stuff you dont need anymore cos you will never come across it, done a boiler for someone who done the gas with me and he wasnt confedent to do so that tells me lots, I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO GO IN AND DO GAS FROM ANOTHER JOB IE BUS DRIVER ,NURSE ETC but think the so called fast track is ok if youve been in the plumbing trade the people on my course there were a few who just didnt have it, never done plumbing so how could they do boilers ie changing y plan to a combi

Last edited by a moderator:
Im 21, spent 3 years in college and I managed to get city & guilds 6129 level 2 and 3 but there technical certificates because I couldnt find a plumber to let me do my on site assessments with.
Fast track seems to be the only way to get fully qualified because im still not even there after 3 years. Finally got with a company after 7 monthes of searching when I left college and now I might just be able to finish my qualification if I can find £1000 + hehe what a tough old world.

totally agree folk must possess previous experience

to gain gas as cat 2 you must have NVQ2 which can be signed off by anyone/company if your employed with them doing plumbing work

there is no set in stone requirement for levels of qualification

Anyone could employ a decent wet plumber, get them work to enable an entrant to gain his nvq 2 by signing of his work all the signatory has to have is experience

As for the assessor who passes them off, again all thats required is current qualification and an assessor qualification D32 A1 A2 easily achieved in a week

No grief intended to any but the trade is far to open in my personnel opinion

re the pathwaytogas link, - earn £1000 to £4000 in 6 to 10 weeks ?
I agree things like this don't help at all, but unfortunately there will always be someone who believes it !

This is one tough industry to get into. i'm being fast tracked, not by a centre, by my own boss. And i must admit it scares the pants off me. I sit my CCN1 over the next three days. Probably shouldn't say this but i think i'll pass but that will be due to the training i had at the centre, and not what i've had out in the field. How scary is that? my boss is only interested in ££££ but it's dealing with people's lives. Problem is it took me 8 months and tons of phone calls just to find someone to take me on.
Good luck to anyone who can make it

totally agree folk must possess previous experience

to gain gas as cat 2 you must have NVQ2 which can be signed off by anyone/company if your employed with them doing plumbing work

there is no set in stone requirement for levels of qualification

Anyone could employ a decent wet plumber, get them work to enable an entrant to gain his nvq 2 by signing of his work all the signatory has to have is experience

As for the assessor who passes them off, again all thats required is current qualification and an assessor qualification D32 A1 A2 easily achieved in a week

No grief intended to any but the trade is far to open in my personnel opinion

wouldnt say an A1 is easy achievable in a week

This is one tough industry to get into. i'm being fast tracked, not by a centre, by my own boss. And i must admit it scares the pants off me. I sit my CCN1 over the next three days. Probably shouldn't say this but i think i'll pass but that will be due to the training i had at the centre, and not what i've had out in the field. How scary is that? my boss is only interested in ££££ but it's dealing with people's lives. Problem is it took me 8 months and tons of phone calls just to find someone to take me on.

send me a PM with an email address and i will send you some practice tutorials that i have made up for students

It seems as they are making it harder to get into plumbing the TC's are moving more to gas and exploiting the requirements there.

I particularly liked the bit on the above link that states
YOU WILL RECEIVE DVD'S SHOWING YOU THE GAS ENGINEER IN REAL HOMES WORKING ON REAL GAS APPLIANCES...AS IF YOU WERE RIGHT OVER HIS SHOULDER !
Wt!!!

These places won't just stop doing this because they have a conscience. It needs to be regulated against and stopped.
When gas safe took over they were allegedly going to tighten up on things.
Doing a good job on that one aren't they:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot is down to the training centres some will pass all comers so i think its down to gas safe to clean it up and send people back to the centres if they deem them incompetent, the centres should then have to re train and assess them free of charge, maybe that will make the centres more stringent on who who they accept on the courses and who they pass

my gas center say they dont care if your offering £20,000.

if you aint good enough you dont get it..

there ex b.g guys though, the problem is with 'buiseness people' smelling money. imo.

I know of at least one centre that lost it's accreditation due to it's near 100% pass rate.
I also know of one guy who did not get through my training centre. He was a danger to himself and others. Last I heard Mummy paid his dues at another centre, so is only a matter of time before that Muppet is out there working on gas.

its a combination of both mate - youve probably learnt how to run pipework, correct clipping good installation methods and then the course brushes you up on safety aspects and formulas - i done a 3 year apprenticship and college one day a week - i think ive took a lot from all areas of the training i recieved - college was invaluable (where as a lot say they learnt very little in college) also the lad i served my first 2 years with was great - but did a lot of other types of work (kitchens, building as well as heating and bathrooms) the lad i finished my time with was more site work and breakdowns so was lucky i got into every aspect of work really - renewables ive had to learn myself as this is an area i want to expand in - hours at home reading up in magazines - on here and various books has given me a really good start to my business which is now 8 months old. Still come across something new every now and then and i will forever be learning regarding breakdowns - i have no problem with people getting fast tracked as long as its done properly - as i would be pretty bitter about going through all this in later life when someone can comeout with the same quals after just 6 weeks (i now know this to impossible after seeing so many people on here struggle to get there portfolios together and end up with only tech certs. the gas side worrys me though - as a lot seem to be getting it without the proper training.

reading the ads for gas and plumbing courses im almost tempted to join up cos some where in the last 35 years if forgotten the nagic formula for earning 50 grand a year

I know of at least one centre that lost it's accreditation due to it's near 100% pass rate.
I also know of one guy who did not get through my training centre. He was a danger to himself and others. Last I heard Mummy paid his dues at another centre, so is only a matter of time before that Muppet is out there working on gas.

the course is designed to be stringent on who can take the course, therefore it sounds like he shouldnt have even been on the course

training / assessment centers are tied to a criteria which has to be achieved otherwise a referral for further training is required but there maybe those organizations who will accept a fee but not a proper training center

meaning a candidate passes his ACS has an probationary visit from gas safe and fails miserable, then this could close a center down

I do not believe that 100% pass mark closing down some place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I want to get ito gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock