Search the forum,
  • Thread starter TheCockneyScot
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 3K
  • time

Discuss I think it's time to give up!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheCockneyScot

Hi all!

Get the spectacles out, you're in for a read!

So, I've been thinking a lot recently about the trade and I think it's time to hang the boots up so to speak!

I decided to leave University to join plumbing, as I believed (at the time) that it was the correct choice for me, with that I joined a family run firm with my uncle for a good year and a half, until he sadly got very ill and passed away (Ironically through an asbestos related illness). This should have really been a sign for me to pack it in there as what followed just got worse and worse.

I completed my EAL Level 1 in Plumbing (A good course if I am honest) and wanted to gain employment with another firm, however that has proved to be like finding gold in a cats arse. I have found 3 companies in just under a year, all 3 of them have practically used me then shown me the door. That's not me knocking them they gave me valuable experience, however where I am currently based (East London) it seems the competition is fierce thus no plumber wants to take on an apprentice as they simply cannot afford it. I have offered to work for nothing, and did so for a good 5 months but I can't do this anymore as I have a mother to feed (She's ill also) and a brother to look after.

So, the final question. Should I pack it in and go back to University? Or still look around?

Plumbing is something I gave up a lot for, through Uni and Money and I don't want to just throw it in the bin.

If any lads/ladies on here know of any firms or mates within the East London or surrounding areas it would honestly be more appreciated than you can imagine!

Sorry for the story but I needed to vent and ask and considering it's a plumbers forum I thought this would be the best place to ask!

Cheers!

Cant really offer any advice, but i wish you good luck with what ever you choose to do.

I need to thank you as well because it makes me realise how fortunate I was to get the jobs and opportunities that ive had in the heating industry. Its not your fault whats happend. I truly believe there is a wider problem in our communities, where honest hard working people are looked down on by the rich and disrespected by the chosen to be un-employed. This has led to low wages and a lack of opportunities.

I could go on but its turn into a rant.

Best of luck fella

It is really hard to start nowadays - so many certificates needed and competition in the workplace. I dont know your age but there are some good opportunities for ambitious 20 year olds who can sell the products rather than fit them. Its cut throat but if you have some good knowledge and can
sell maybe this is the way. Look up Trovit heating plumbing sales vacancies or something like that. and then you wont get dirty and make more money - thats what I would do CHK

My nephew is a commercial banking manager, accountant and lecturer in Tax and Accountancy, he maintains that the more you have on paper the more you have in your pocket.

I was a top student in the day, I've under achieved and sometimes wish I could turn the clock back and have a rerun of the decisions I took years ago.....unfortunately it doesn't work that way !!!
I always thought short term and while I was earning good money and my pals were at Uni and training to be Architects, Surveyors etc they were earning peanuts.
Truth is now, they earn BIG money and sit behind desks while I kneel down every day on these tired knees, which sometimes refuse to help me stand up. I know which I would do, given the choice...find a good lasting career, work hard and pass a good degree. That would be my advice, and is the same I have given my three oldest children when they were your age.

I'm in a similar position.

Gas safe but still need more experience but no one is willing to take me on.

Homebase are closing stores.
All other D.I.Y. stores will see a downturn in trade.
Why?
The next generation are the keyboard and playstation generation, who are clueless when it comes to D.I.Y.

yes we are the last diy generation 20 years from now it will be illegal to sharpen a pencil without a pencil sharpeners licence and obviously part z sharp object handling cert

yes we are the last diy generation 20 years from now it will be illegal to sharpen a pencil without a pencil sharpeners licence and obviously part z sharp object handling cert

It's frightening how many people don't kow how to isolate gas, water and electrics in their own homes, let alone anything else.

Or know where the filling loop is. Had to play hunt the filling loop this morning. I dont de pressurise befire finding it. It was behind the plinth underneath the kitchen sink unit. :)

It's frightening how many people don't kow how to isolate gas, water and electrics in their own homes, let alone anything else.

With you on this masood, spend so much time hunting for the fused spur and the water isolation valve is untrue (and boring).

20 years from now it will be illegal to sharpen a pencil without a pencil sharpeners licence and obviously part z sharp object handling cert[/QUOTE]

Love it!

Hi there have been in the game 33 years and honestly not one week goes by without me thinking I wish I would have stuck in at school im 49 with knees of a man of 69 most of you guys know where im coming from.Take my advice and get your self back to uni..brum

I am 56 so we have both been at this game quite a while but I still quite like waking up each morning and deciding what i will do. Mind you I am not a one man band we are just a ragged collection of old farts that I attempt to organise CHK

Agree with above, a good degree from a good university is the way to go. My stepdaughter went to an open evening, it looked awesome and only 3 years of your life, it's nothing and so worth it.

If I had my time again I would so love to do this and make the most of it work hard and play hard mate

Hi there, this is a really good thread mate. To shed some light I have recently gone through a similar thing to you, although I have been a plumber for 10 years I am not training. I had to sit down and think long and hard if I wanted to carry on with this career.

I started around 2006 and qualified from college with city & guilds level 2 6129. This was after dropping out of my A-Levels and was a backup option. After completing college all was well earning good money of around ÂŁ100 a day with various firms, being used and abused left right and centre. After sticking to it for years I become experienced enough to know a firm would keep me for as long as they needed work done. However 1 out of 3 firms like to knock ya for a day or 2, maybe a weeks money depends, it is now heavily run by agencies and with the only other option being a sub-contract which gives them all the rights to do as they please I would say agency gives you more cover. It's all self-employed, no holiday pay, no sick pay, no guaranteed wage its just not good enough to pay bills. I could be on site for 8 weeks then complete a phase only to be told they are done with you as A block is now done, so you go home loose a week or so money depending on how much work is out there. Not to mention some firms wanting you to have public liability insurance, your own van, your own business insurance for the van.

Although on good money, day rate upto ÂŁ150 a day - price upto ÂŁ250 a day I have just had enough of it.

Typical example - Start a new job half way across London lugging your tools their knowing in the back of your head its 50/50 as to weather you are going to stay as some sites and subbys are such a pain in the bum it is not worth it. Good example being a laid back supervisor who lets you get on with it, never comes to see you just asks at the office and throws you more jobs, this is normally a sign that the work is temp. Bad example you turn up, there are 60 guys in the induction room, everyone is saying how sh*t the site is and how many people they go through (quite evident on the fact the site is 80% complete and 60 per day are being inducted). You have to wear glasses at all times, you got a supervisor on your back all day who is less experienced than you. They tell you that you are going to be paid for the 4 hour induction then decide they are not, even thou the agency is required by law to pay that money.

Then all this skills card come into it, nvq blue skills card required for job. My qualification is a 6129 and jib dont give blue cards for it even thou I completed the exact same thing as a nvq in the practical assessment. Rather than go and spend ÂŁ500 on a nvq I just packed it in completely. I now have a full time job in the office, have a company laptop, company phone, company car if i need one (i have my own car), I send a few e-mails, make a few phone calls sit on my laptop rather than being on my knees cutting out pipes that are leaking, getting flux, silicon over me dressing like a tramp as the clothes are going to get destroyed on site anyway.

I am also from east london mate and know a guy who will hire you for a few sites in east. Inbox me and il give you his number, he hires trainee's generally pays em ÂŁ80 a day. If i were you if you know what you are doing tell him you want ÂŁ130 as you will be doing the exact same stuff as you would be on ÂŁ80. Say you are fully qualified, experienced and want ÂŁ130, inbox me for his number.

Ok - I'm not living in East London, or anywhere near, but I'm on the other side of the fence with this one (sort of) I qualified in '82, worked up to the site foreman level then, because of a downturn in the building industry, went to college/uni and became a teacher in a secondary school. Worst mistake I made - I think - after 13 years the stress got so much that I was off ill, and realising that I needed a change. I went back to plumbing; yes there had been a 20 year break (including college/uni/pgce etc), and my accountant has told me that I made a loss of 13k last year, but I am a much happier person, more relaxed, less stressed, and definitely enjoying my work. Ok - I'm not earning but I am working and I can see the long game in that I will turn a profit soon (it's only been 18 months) and I would much rather do that than sit anywhere stuck to my laptop etc (no offence intended).
What I would say is that no matter what you do in life, always have a backup. I'm lucky (I once found two four leaf clovers in one day) because I was a plumber first but even so - if you feel unappreciated then you need to think about alternatives and maybe, just maybe, keep the plumbing card up your sleeve for when you need it later.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do

Or know where the filling loop is. Had to play hunt the filling loop this morning. I dont de pressurise befire finding it. It was behind the plinth underneath the kitchen sink unit. :)
Could always put a hose on a rad drain off and repressurise that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I think it's time to give up!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in London and the Southeast I'm looking for an experienced self employed engineer (or another ltd company like myself), own transport, tools etc. good rates...
Replies
Views
V
Good morning, I thought I would try here first before going elsewhere. in short I had a septic system flexible coupling needing replacing. Backed up waste water. It was less than a meter down and took plumbers less than 1/2 to diagnose I was charged $1560 originally Spoke to plumber to contest...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This line of work means I have on average 6+ months off a year, im thinking of training to become a domestic gas engineer in my time off to earn a bit extra...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock