Search the forum,

Discuss I know this has been answered before but I plumb forgot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
15mm plastic pipe manufactured to BSwhathaveyou MUST be 15mm ID or 15mm OD?

Thus answering the question whether it's a) all plastic pipe can technically be used with any brand of fitting but you must use the correctly branded insert or b) you must use the correct fitting but could use any brand of insert.

I am aware I should re-do the whole house in copper will say ten hail mary's and three how's your fathers

Thanks

od

and use the pipe manufacture inserts fitting doesnt matter

Don't really use plastic but you could happily tile over a speedfit elbow pushed onto say a 12 year old Hep pipe?

If it's the non barrier hep then no wants ripping out but if it's not then yes pressure test before floor/wall goes on tho

Yes. It can allow air through the wall.
Any more than any other non-barrier? I thought that was largely a myth anyway, as you get more air from valve stems etc than through the pipe wall?

My thought was that Shaun was suggesting this section only, so I don't think this can be what he meant as, if a heating system is plumbed in non-barrier, there is little point in replacing a small section, and the OP has already stated he isn't up for re-doing the whole house.

Also, is this even a heating system? Could just be supply pipe to a WC cistern for all we know...

My comment was in reference to phils question

And it's that bad ric

I'm more concerned over a fitting popping off and trashing my insurance than a bit of air leaching its way into the system.

There is a 12 year old estate near me where I do regular work that has a scary amount of Hep blow offs, I join onto the old grey with new white Hep then straight to copper, God only knows what lurks under the glued down 25mm chipboard.

Any more than any other non-barrier? I thought that was largely a myth anyway, as you get more air from valve stems etc than through the pipe wall?

My thought was that Shaun was suggesting this section only, so I don't think this can be what he meant as, if a heating system is plumbed in non-barrier, there is little point in replacing a small section, and the OP has already stated he isn't up for re-doing the whole house.

Also, is this even a heating system? Could just be supply pipe to a WC cistern for all we know...

In all honesty @Ric2013 , I have no proof if it is true or not.

It was something I was told by reps from different plastic pipe manufacturers, as well as an article I read on it years ago along with what Plumbers merchants and other Plumbers have said. This was when barrier first appeared.

I presume that there is some truth in it but can't swear by that. If you know different then fair play, I could be wrong. It does sound like ballcocks but we could also be talking about molecular sized issues! Air/ Gases V's Water??

I do not use plastic pipe as I think it is messy looking and takes all the skill out of the job. Anyone can push fit things together and do a hose pipe job and to my mind that is all it looks like. My opinion. I was working before the craze.

I realise that a lot of people use it and there are good enough reasons for that so I am not saying that 'skilled Plumbers' do not use it, that is not the same thing as saying there is little skill required to use it. I also think it allows DIY or other trades to do 'some' Plumbing with little knowledge of the job itself. This usually leads to me n thee mopping up someone else's mess.

And while we're on the subject, imperial copper pipe as fitted back in the day when you find it already installed is it 1/2", 3/4" etc internal bore and so the OD can vary depending on pipe wall thickness or is that incorrect? Thanks

Correct but you will find od is pritty good, I'd can vairey

So if 1/2" refers to ID but only "in name" i.e. "nominal" because the ID varies but the OD is consistent (which i would assume as imperial to metric couplers exist - even in push fit - which must rely on a consistent OD) what is the OD?

I found this chart but it doesn't seem to make sense as I thought 3/4" pipe's OD was smaller than 22 hence why a 22mm fitting feels loose on it. And 22mm refers to the OD of the pipe...

Pipe Dimensions: Metric - imperial - Graphskill Ltd

So if 1/2" refers to ID but only "in name" i.e. "nominal" because the ID varies but the OD is consistent (which i would assume as imperial to metric couplers exist - even in push fit - which must rely on a consistent OD) what is the OD?

I found this chart but it doesn't seem to make sense as I thought 3/4" pipe's OD was smaller than 22 hence why a 22mm fitting feels loose on it. And 22mm refers to the OD of the pipe...

Pipe Dimensions: Metric - imperial - Graphskill Ltd
That pipe dimension chart is for steel.
BSP = British Standard Pipe.
The old Copper was I.D. measurements as Shaun said.

Depending on the internal wall it could be too tight or too loose

All plastic pipe except MLCP (so far as I recall) is gas permeable i.e. lets air through - even barrier pipe. The barrier pipe simply lets less through. The BS (cant recall it) simply states it can let through no more a certain amount.

This is one reason why fitting something like a Spirovent will mean the need to permanently keep an eye on, and top up, system pressures when you have say UF htg installed. For some reason, here in the UK we accept leaking pipes but in places like Hong Kong they don't...

Reply to I know this has been answered before but I plumb forgot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock