Search the forum,

Discuss I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fiander1

I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installation work! i have my own van and tools capable of doing a full system on my own. Over 9 years experience, high quality work. Please contact me if you can offer anything please call 07929343596. Essex, London, Enfield, Kent, Hertforshire. Thanks Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installati

Martin you'll probably find this post will be deleted or moved ... Try posting here Looking for work.

Re: I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installati

ok thanks not very good at using this!

You're welcome :) Good luck :)

moved for you.

I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installation work! i have my own van and tools capable of doing a full system on my own. Over 9 years experience, high quality work. Please contact me if you can offer anything please call 07929343596. Essex, London, Enfield, Kent, Hertforshire. Thanks Martin

As a customer, we need service from people like you and willing to pay for the service. However, some plumbers are really hard to trust. Not only poor job but over charging. I have just got a quotation to replace a leaking pipe about 2 meters long. They asked 130 pounds.

I may post some jobs here.

As a customer, we need service from people like you and willing to pay for the service. However, some plumbers are really hard to trust. Not only poor job but over charging. I have just got a quotation to replace a leaking pipe about 2 meters long. They asked 130 pounds.

I may post some jobs here.

How long did it take to replace the two metres of pipe?

surely the whole of the 2 meter of pipe isn't leaking...and 2 hours???? is the pipe under the floor boards or difficult to get to?

It is not hard to get to though the leaking pipe in under ceiling. However, I have cut the ceiling. I understand that the whole heating system needs to be drained so I accept 2 hours. But 130 pounds sounds too high.

surely the whole of the 2 meter of pipe isn't leaking...and 2 hours???? is the pipe under the floor boards or difficult to get to?

It is not hard to get to. The pipe is under ceiling but I have cut the ceiling. I understand that the heating system needs to be drained. I accept 2 hours. However, 130 pounds for 2 hours sounds too high.

Doesn't sound extortionate to me. £20 materials and £55 per hour, not a particularly high rate.

Sounds alright to me. Pipe, fittings, inhibitor, labour and profit.

Ooops didnt mean to swear, I know profit is a dirty word.

some plumbers are really hard to trust. Not only poor job but over charging. I have just got a quotation to replace a leaking pipe about 2 meters long. They asked 130 pounds.

I understand that the whole heating system needs to be drained so I accept 2 hours. But 130 pounds sounds too high.

Which is it? Is it overcharging or does it sound like overcharging?

Nobody minds someone having to make a judgement in a position of ignorance. We all have to do it. It's the pretence of knowing that irks those in the know. I was taught £100 for a drain down is your starting point. The rest is extra.

Sounds alright to me. Pipe, fittings, inhibitor, labour and profit.

Ooops didnt mean to swear, I know profit is a dirty word.

"Profit" is really a strange idea: Customer already paid your labour fee (including your time and skill), why still want "profit"?

branson never tried to make profit that's for sure. hourly wage. that's all he wanted.

technically everything left over after you've paid your bills and fed your family is profit. if you've ever been on holiday, you made a profit.

"Profit" is really a strange idea: Customer already paid your labour fee (including your time and skill), why still want "profit"?

Why? You are in business.

If you just want to work for wages, work for someone else, and let them take all the risk and do all the worrying, and invest in all the tools etc.

Businesses invest and take risk. Your tools and van will depreciate. Your skills will be come out of date and you will have to pay to update them. Unfortunately, someone will not pay you, and despite your best efforts you will never get that money. You will make a mistake, and have to go back and rectify it. Or it won't be your fault, but you will fix it anyway, because you are in business, and you need the goodwill.

If you just want to work for wages, work for someone else, and let them take all the risk and do all the worrying, and invest in all the tools etc.

Businesses invest and take risk. Your tools and van will depreciate. Your skills will be come out of date and you will have to pay to update them. Unfortunately, someone will not pay you, and despite your best efforts you will never get that money. You will make a mistake, and have to go back and rectify it. Or it won't be your fault, but you will fix it anyway, because you are in business, and you need the goodwill.

Here here.

Which is it? Is it overcharging or does it sound like overcharging?

Nobody minds someone having to make a judgement in a position of ignorance. We all have to do it. It's the pretence of knowing that irks those in the know. I was taught £100 for a drain down is your starting point. The rest is extra.

I believe many people here looking for jobs can drain the heating system for £30 pounds or even less. So what is the reason to pay £100? Skill? Knowledge? Pipe work is basic skill of any plumber.

It is this high charge leading to job problem as stated in this post and others. How much is the average wage in Britain? If a plumber earn much more than average, there will be more people stepping in, and lower the price.

Abc there are a lot of companies in London charging 60-80 pound per hour plus vat, 130 sound reasonable now?

How much is the average wage in Britain? If a plumber earn much more than average, there will be more people stepping in, and lower the price.

This doesn't compute. According to your logic, we should all be investment bankers or premiership footballers.

Despite what the tabloid press and the training agencies tell you, you can't just "become a plumber" by an act of will, or by parting with a lump of money. You have to train, and you have to have an aptitude, and above all you need experience.

As for draining a system - I will do it for you for a tenner. Piece of cake. Just don't ask me to fill it up again! :)

I don't think you'll find anyone on here willing drain a heating system for £30! I charge more than that for topping up the pressure on a combi. Running a business, new cars and exotic holidays costs you know.

I can drain it for sfa. Its the filling back up that can cause an issue.

Business is for profit. Yes i want my wages and i also want my business to be profitable.

Not just having a bit of a troll are we?

*raise eyebrow*

i can happily quote higher for you.....

customers stick to a tradesmen and happily pay a premium for quality work and reliability.

why should i charge less because the next guys going to ?

If you work for somebody, how much can you get per year? 40K? Than what is your hourly rate? Around £16! How much you get now? That difference already counts your status.

I believe many people here looking for jobs can drain the heating system for £30 pounds or even less. So what is the reason to pay £100? Skill? Knowledge? Pipe work is basic skill of any plumber.

It is this high charge leading to job problem as stated in this post and others. How much is the average wage in Britain? If a plumber earn much more than average, there will be more people stepping in, and lower the price.

you are probably paid an hourly wage of say £15 or more an hour, and from this you pay for living expenses. If as a plumber you charge £55 an hour, you will extract you fixed costs of your business as well as your variable costs and whats left is your living wage. Once the public realises that this is how people run a business then they will stop winging about us overcharging as we pay for insurance to protect the customer, travelling costs and vehicle expenses to reach the customer, travelling time to allow us to get between jobs when we arent actually earning in the customers mind, tools and materials cost money to alow us to repair things for customers and we need regular training to make it legal for us to work for customers, and when you take all this into account £55 per hour isnt enough to give us a decent living wage!!!!!!!!!!!!

which is why I charge £75 for the first hour, plus more for travelling outside a 10 mile area, and I increase the rate accordingly out of hours to such an extent your eyes would bleed if you needed me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

To be honest I would have charged that too ,if not a bit more.

If you look at here and other web sites, many qualified plumbers looking for jobs and asking for less than £200 a day. I know many plumbers working for local council working for less than £15 per hour.

If you look at here and other web sites, many qualified plumbers looking for jobs and asking for less than £200 a day. I know many plumbers working for local council working for less than £15 per hour.

These are an exception not a rule.

If you work for somebody, how much can you get per year? 40K? Than what is your hourly rate? Around £16! How much you get now? That difference already counts your status.

Have you ever run a business abc11156?

Why are you all trying to teach a stupid person how business works ?
No matter what you say or how you explain they have such a poor view of the plumbing industry & the skill levels required that how ever little was quoted it would be to much.
Just let them pay a little & get a whole lot of trouble!!!

You still haven't got into your head the difference between working for someone, and running your own business! They are completely and utterly different things.

And there is a bottom to every market. Look on autotrader and you will find cars for less than £500. But you wouldn't want one would you? Similarly there are footballers who will play for £50 for 90 mins, but they aren't likely to get a game for Chelsea.

There are "plumbers" that will work for £10 per hour. Just not in my house thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock