Search the forum,

Discuss Hydraulic Press Tool Milwaukee M12HPT to be used in domestic applications?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashmaystor

Gas Engineer
Hi all

I was looking at this tool Milwaukee M12HPT ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaZDj_FUVU0 ) and thought I should ask my fellow traders if anybody uses one in a domestic environment and if its any good? The reason is, it seems a lot faster, no need for solder, flux, fire, and no need to drain pipes.

I have used hydraulic press tools on commercial projects, as the pipework was very accessible and spaces between the pipes were enough to clamp the tool's jaws around.

But... in domestic premises the space can be very limited.

For example, I am wondering if this tool can be used to press couplings on five 22mm pipes joined parallel with Talon clips, like in the image attached. Will the jaw have enough space to get around the pipe if there is another pipe next to it?
P1010677.jpg

I would appreciate if someone who uses this tool to shed some practical feedback.

Regards

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

yes it can be used on domestic and it could be with some planning but say you want to repair the centre of the the left hand group no you couldn't (the aco 202)

but you could use the aco 201 (and fyi novopress make the ones for Milwaukee)

as its smaller than the 202 in both jaws and tool size but in 12v and should fit

[video=youtube;ZHWIRaPzevg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHWIRaPzevg[/video]

but tbh these days pipes shouldn't be that close as you will find you wont be able to lag/ insulate them

so i would choose the aco 202

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Its really helpful. I wonder if it makes financially viable sense to start using press fittings instead of endfeed copper.. being that the press fittings cost on average ÂŁ3 each, and a endfeed fitting costs about ÂŁ0.30p each. So its a lot cheaper to buy endfeed. You have the flux, solder, gas and obviously it takes longer to do the job. But with the press fittings you have a very expensive tool and expensive fittings, the only thing that is better is faster working pace. I guess if you add up all the money spent for flux, solder and gas it would make sense to use the press tools? What do you recon, based on your use of press tools? Is it cheaper in the long run?

Using any press tool is never any cheaper.
As you state, the fittings cost a hell of a lot more, but the work is done quicker.

A few months back we quoted a gas service, which started out in 80mm copper, the main pipe run was about 60 metres, and then the branches.

Working the cost out for silver soldering the joints and soldered fittings and so on versus using press fittings worked out roughly the same.

The main difference was you are outlaying a lot more in materials and putting less in your pocket at the end of the job.

We didn't get the job, but if we did and depending on how busy we were, would depend on the system used.

But then you work out the time saving and its alot

Hi all

I was looking at this tool Milwaukee M12HPT ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaZDj_FUVU0 ) and thought I should ask my fellow traders if anybody uses one in a domestic environment and if its any good? The reason is, it seems a lot faster, no need for solder, flux, fire, and no need to drain pipes.

I have used hydraulic press tools on commercial projects, as the pipework was very accessible and spaces between the pipes were enough to clamp the tool's jaws around.

But... in domestic premises the space can be very limited.

For example, I am wondering if this tool can be used to press couplings on five 22mm pipes joined parallel with Talon clips, like in the image attached. Will the jaw have enough space to get around the pipe if there is another pipe next to it?
View attachment 26980

I would appreciate if someone who uses this tool to shed some practical feedback.

Regards

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

lol I've never seen so many straights used this person needs to learn how to bend pipes properly lol

Particularly when he is buying press fit fittings

You WILL quickly when you work out how much you save on fittings. My journeyman made me bend 6m pipe as he said every joint was a leak in waiting.
I have used pressfittings in last 2 years...not soldered once I think. Yes below 35mm they seem expensive but the time saved and cleaning / fire risks MORE than make up for it .
Yes forward planning is best ie where fittings go and where crimping.
ABOVE 35mm it works out way cheaper...and safer.

Someone may have said this !
Hire one and trial it for a week, that will give you your answer
i did, brill on 4" 3" and 2"
smaller than that I found it a bit awkward for size, clumsy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hydraulic Press Tool Milwaukee M12HPT to be used in domestic applications?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock