Search the forum,

Discuss Humming pipes ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cjmp

Hi
Please help. Over the last couple of weeks when we turn on tap there is a high pitched humming sound. Its not banging as youd get with water hammer but can feel the pipe work very slightly vibrating. Did think it was the inlet on the toilet pan so replaced that but made no difference. If I reduce the flow on the isolation valves that does seem to solve the problem, but then get the noise of the water rushing though, if you know what in mean.
This is really starting to get on my nerves.:cry_smile::cry_smile:
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Chris

Still known as water hammer mate.

Thank you Mr rpm. Any idea as to why this would just started ? Have been in the house for 4 years and never had this problem before. The only difference is that the cold on my mono style tap on the sink in the bathroom is dripping badly but this is going to be replace next month when we get the bathroom redone ?

Still known as water hammer mate.

Thank you Mr rpm. Any idea as to why this would just started ? Have been in the house for 4 years and never had this problem before. The only difference is that the cold on my mono style tap on the sink in the bathroom is dripping badly but this is going to be replace next month when we get the bathroom redone ?

Your welcome Mr cjmp (lol), normally down to a rubber diaphragm wearing. can you isolate the water on the cold side to this tap to rule it out, also can you remember which make of inlet valve you fitted in the toilet? Some are better than others even when new.

Have isolated the tap and made no difference but then isolated the inlet on the toilet when the tap was running and getting the hammer noise and this stopped it.
Tried this several times and worked each time.
In answer to your question on the make of inlet it is a flomasta from screw fix and cost £6.
Guess in need to spend a little bit more.
Is there a manufacture that you'd recommend ?
Many thanks
Chris

Chris, Fluidmaster with the Brass shank is most peoples choice. Didn`t think it would be the tap but normally they are easy to isolate and therefore remove from the equation of what could be causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Humming pipes ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not on the hot but whenever a cold tap is ran in the bathrooms or toilet flushed the two cold water pipes reverberate round the house. The cold mains and the balanced cold. We changed the water inlet valve with PRV last week but the problem has come back quickly. Is the street pressure too...
Replies
Views
T
A constant ‘hum’ noise has started and I’ve traced it back to the water meter in the street in front of the house. The noise internally can be heard from the stopcock and you can feel a bit of vibration in the pipe work around the stopcock. The dials on the water meter are dead still when there...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
I have a pneumatic concealed cistern behind a removable vanity panel. I pulled the panel off to investigate a dull knocking noise when the cistern is coming to nearly full, I haven't ascertained what this might be as yet, I wondered if it was the cold water pipes knocking (as in water hammer)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock