Discuss How to top up Stelrad Ideal boiler? Mystery hose... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello boiler junkies!

Below is the beast I'm dealing with. The heating suddenly stopped so I went to investigate and discovered that the system was low on pressure. But how to top up? The previous boiler I had to take care of was attached to a small cylinder, you just needed to flick a couple of valves open and job done. But this behemoth no idea.

The two pipes that enter from the top, the one which is closer to the wall is connected to the pump. If you follow it all the way to the bottom it then forks with the right bit entering the wall and the left leading to a hose that's not attached to anything and that has a valve near its end and is extended with a piece of pipe which sits in a sort of a holder attached to the wall.

Is that hose supposed to be used with some device that pumps water in? I can't see anything around that I could attach it into. Any ideas?

3rbeTTR7pfoT.jpg

Some extra pics below.

Gauge:
Imagebin - Somewhere to Store Random Things

Top:

Underneath:

Mystery hose:

Cheers!

Top section cones off filling loop and expansion tank behind it just be carful with the connection to the pressure gauge

Top section cones off filling loop and expansion tank behind it just be carful with the connection to the pressure gauge
Sorry just seen the bottom photo maybe they connected it to a hose pipe and you need to sort out the safety discharge pipe ! maybe fitted a filling point in another room have you followed the pipe work around

TBH I would want a gas safe engy to have a look at that and sort out them open ends

Cheers for having a look. That was my thought initially that it may be hidden behind the top panel. There are screws inside the drawer that seem to keep the front panel from sliding off.

The pipes going to the right are leading to radiators, nothing exciting there, the skinny pipe that comes out of the bottom seem to be going all the way down (the boiler is on the second floor) and then it's difficult to say where it leads to as it's all boxed in.

Never mind, looks like a more involved job. I'll pass your comments and let the landlord sort it out and if the mystery gets solved I'll post it here later on.

Ta!

As your renting have you seen or got a copy of the Gas Safety certificate (CP12) the small pipe under the boiler is the gas (Undersized )

Hello fellas!

A gas engineer has visited and I'm sure you are dying to learn what happened. It turns out the PCB was fried. It's been replaced and it's nice and toasty again. He also added some air to the expansion tank and issued a warning for that hot water fountain sticking out at the top.

So the low pressure was a red herring. No water added to the system in the end and no rads have any problem with that. The engy didn't find any other secret route to the system so the hose at the bottom must be the inlet. The next steps TBD but sorted for now.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to top up Stelrad Ideal boiler? Mystery hose... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back