Search the forum,

Discuss How to not bu**er the boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

Being about to change the basin in the downstairs shower room so I have to shut off the water
and go into both the hot and cold feeds. I know how to turn off the rising main at the stopcock
but I'm wondering what to do re. the boiler.
It's an Ideal Isar HE30 and we have an arrangement, I leave it alone and it works.

But having had dark warnings about frying the boiler, here's the plan I've formulated...

1: Switch off boiler at the I/O switch on the user panel.

2: Shut off the stopcock.

3: Open the cold tap nearest ground level.

4: Open the hot tap in the same spot.

5: Carry on regardless.

BASIN1.jpg

The old basin is one of those tiny triangular jobs that's too petite to be used by human beings. So, I got a floating basin (18" x 22") with a semiped. The plan is to fit the basin, move the connexions across about a foot and rig it up. The feed pipes are in plastic and I've
discovered they're in Uponor (16.7mm O/D).

BASIN2.jpg

I have to sink the pipery into a trench in the wall so they can run down to the skirting level pipe box.

All I need to know is if the above plan is OK for the boiler so it can't fire dry or anything.

Thank you, David.

BASIN2.jpg
BASIN1.jpg

You will be ok just make sure you have fittings to adapt the upnor pipework before you start get the hot and colds moved to the new position valve them off refill the hot and cold system pipework vent and test your handy work before you even start installing anything else and switching boiler back on . Cheers kop

You will be ok just make sure you have fittings to adapt the upnor pipework before you start get the hot and colds moved to the new position valve them off refill the hot and cold system pipework vent and test your handy work before you even start installing anything else and switching boiler back on . Cheers kop

Think it's speedfit mate little insert marks on the side

Maybe shaun another picture of a fitting will determine it davhill post one up bud cheers kop

The boiler won't fire without sufficient water pressure so no fear of frying it.

Well thank you, people.

I'm further on now. The feed pipes have little blue > signs printed on them so this may help.

FEEDS.JPG

I've managed to hoik out the old basin and cabinet. I thought that's all it was but it was like shifting the Empire State Building. Perseverance won out. Here's what I have now...
CORNER.JPG

The waste pipe is gummed togther with solvent and it's rock solid. The O/D is 37mm.

Closer look...

CONNEXIONS.JPG

The R.H. pipe ambles off down the pipe box to the electric shower so it must be the cold. The hot comes in from the left and is attached to a copper feed pipe.

Here's the new basin.

UNDERBASIN.JPG

And here's where it's going...

POSITION CORNER.JPG

The left wall will be the 'back' wall so the connexions will be about eleven inches in
from the corner. The semiped comes down 14 inches from the location under the basin. I'll have to sink the feeds and drain into the wall from just under the base of the semiped to the floor. Then, I can then extend the pipe box into the corner - the floorcovering is to be replaced with Cushionflor.

I already have the basin mounting kit...good job I bought a 14mm masonry bit to secure my gun safe!

Bottom line, so far so good. I'll keep youse posted!

Davidin

DSC_0157.JPG

Shaun was right again it is indeed speedfit 15mmm so compatible with 15mm copper various ways to do it but sure you will find what suits you best cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to not bu**er the boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also have an UFH zone in the kitchen. Near the boiler I have 2 port valves which control this part of the system. The boiler has been loosing pressure...
Replies
Views
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector here and even he went away flummoxed. OK ....we have a stopcock under the sink that is stuck open - no amount of force will turn it. We need to turn...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock