Search the forum,

Discuss How to choose the right Worcester boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been checking the sound level of the Combi Compact HRE 24 and it says 45dB. This is fairly noisy when other boilers achieve much lower sound level.

This boiler is going to be in my cupboard which is located in my bedroom so it needs to be as quieter as possible

I should have included this when I mentioned what type of boiler I was looking for because this is a high priority as it being reliable.

what boilers are in the 30dB and as reliable as the intergas?

I have been checking the sound level of the Combi Compact HRE 24 and it says 45dB. This is fairly noisy when other boilers achieve much lower sound level.

This boiler is going to be in my cupboard which is located in my bedroom so it needs to be as quieter as possible

I should have included this when I mentioned what type of boiler I was looking for because this is a high priority as it being reliable.

what boilers are in the 30dB and as reliable as the intergas?

45dB is not very loud at all, especially if the boiler is in a cupboard...

Unless you lie in bed while your heatings on, or run the hot tap from your bed. You'll be ok.

yes it might happen that in winter the heating will be on in the night and someone else has a shower when i am in bed

yes it might happen that in winter the heating will be on in the night and someone else has a shower when i am in bed

45dBA is approximately as noisy as a computer fan. Really not noisy at all - in fact, unless your hearing is hypersensitive you'd just tune it out. If the boiler is going in a cupboard then you'll be pretty much unaware of it operating.

Read the thread from the beginning. Or just ignore all our combined experience..

His opinion matters not a jot. What with him posting from a known spam source and all.

Screenshot_2016-07-11-14-50-27.png

If noise is an issue sound proof the cupboard im sure there are many cost effective solutions like shoving loads of cloths and other associated crap that would deaden the sound.

Most modern boiler are very quiet these days.
I think over the last 10 winters my boiler has come on about 2-3 times in the middle of the night due temps dropping so low. And you would really only set it to come on 10-20 mins before you are due to get up for work on a week day.

In my mind the best boiler worcester ever took out is the greenstar Classic cdi, a brilliant boiler in every way , i fitted Bosch for years but went off the newer range and my personal experience is the classic is the bogs dollocks , I moved to the ideal vogues as ten year warranty is a big selling point, also it's a cracker of boiler
are those the 2 boilers you'd recommend as i need advice badly

Vaillants are good and Baxi Duo Tec's are a good boiler as well.

Get a good local installer round to give you a quote and advice needs a site vist , if you must have worcester bosch the greenstar classic 34cdi would be my choice cheers kop

Worcestor boilers don't have low water pressure safety cut off, or blocked condensate safety cut off switches.
Changing a simple part like a prv can involve the removal of the boiler from the wall.
It's the only manufacturer that I'm aware of with these possibly catastrophic omissions, and yet they're the best selling boiler in the U.K.
The question is why? Good advertising campaigns perhaps?

I am more of a Vaillant man myself as stated before. But I am sure that Worcester now do boilers with prv's inside the boiler. Also I am sure they say that there condense pipes cannot block because the condense trap dumps the whole lot once it is full. So if the condense pipe external to the boiler is ran properly it will not block. But I may be wrong:D

how many baxi / other manufacturers do you see with linked out condensate trap probes to say its more than a few is an understatement :D

each boiler has its good points and bad

theres no top / perfect boiler yet

Vaillant man myself,new Worcester boilers now have prv's and expansion vessel in boiler a lot easier to replace

Some are in the boiler (prv,s). And sometimes condense pipes freeze or block or even back up due to adverse weather.
The installation of the condense can be as per MI,s, but other factors come into it. Other manufacturers have the foresight to see it.

And what about low water pressure sensor?

dont know why they didnt fit one i believe the new juniors (i series) have it

My favourite worcester will always be the greenstar classic combi, brilliant boiler ,

I've not fitted a Worcester but have serviced a fair few. Not been impressed with the layout and reliability of them to be honest. Same goes for Vaillant, especially the EcoTEC.

To be honest I'm not hugely impressed with most modern combi boilers, they are all following the route of ridiculously expensive spare parts and built in unreliability.

A few recent examples:-

Worcester flue seal failing and dripping acid condensate onto the metal (yes metal) condensate tray inside the boiler. End result was a new flue. Boiler was 3 years old and flue appeared to be properly fitted.

Ideal Logic+ heat engine corroding through after 4 years, around £600 to repair it for the customer.

Potterton Promax leaking condensate from the bottom of the heat exchanger, onto the gas pipework. 6 years old, another one at 5 years old recently too, both boilers capped off. In both cases damage was so severe that boilers were replaced.

Vaillant EcoTEC main heat exchanger rusting through after 4 years..

Contrast this to the old floor standing boilers that would last for decades.. I could go on but if this is progress I'm out lol!

Force me to buy a combi boiler and I'd buy an Intergas boiler. The boiler is pretty simple and the expensive part (the heat exchanger) wouldn't look out of place as a radiator grille for a Challenger tank. I'd go with them simply as they've never had a heat exchanger failure, ever. All of the other manufacturers have them, frequently.

Intergas are ok, as long as they don't scale up. Which they do.

We live in a throw away society bud 7 to 10 years on a combi £100 a year for all your heating and hot water is good value , then we get to change it sweet you know when your getting old when you on your third boiler swap on the same address .

That works out to £700 to a £1000 for a boiler swap!

The issue is that a decent combi swap nowadays is more like £1,800-2,000 if done properly with filter, scale inhibitor etc. That's not the full cost of ownership over 10 years either as this price assumes no controls and no repairs required in those 10 years. Oh and also no servicing either, but I guess older boilers require servicing too so we can ignore that cost.

Assuming a 10 year boiler life that's £180-200 a year just for the cost of your boiler on the wall and gas on top. Add in the carbon footprint of manufacturing a modern boiler and they are actually much less economical than the old floor standing ones we are encouraged by the powers that be to sticker as 'inefficient' and 'upgrade'..

I'd argue that Intergas boilers scaling up is more likely to be down to poor water treatment to be fair. Or do you mean on the primary side king of pipes? I don't have much experience of servicing them if being honest but the new RF ones look well built from an engineering perspective.

They scale up from mains water, because of the twin route hex.

Does a decent scale inhibitor make a difference on them?

On the mains, yes. Because there's no no diverter both sets of water run thripugh the main hex.

Intergas ? not fitted any of them bud so cant coment , i still think a good modern day combi is good value and i charge nearer £3000 for a upgrade i have 60+ combis on my books which i look after sevice and repair and yes i do get faults , servicing picks up small faults before they get serious, fit it right service it properly not just stick ya anylser in , even if it does breakdown fix the damned thing its what we do charge good money for doing it to , i will agree the older style boilers do run clean and efficiency are not that bad heat up exchange is often Slower but its the controls where it all falls down gravity primaries or more often no control at all other than a timer and boiler stat this causes products of combustion to be produced that could be cut saving money and our planet rant over off to work drive carefully have a good day all. Regards kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to choose the right Worcester boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock