Search the forum,

Discuss How to choose the right Worcester boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sebastienj

Hi,

I am looking at replacing my boiler+cylinder with a Worcester combi boiler. I'd like to get an idea of which boiler should be fitted.

In the flat there are 7 rads, 1 bathroom, 1 en suite. Currently the boiler is in a cupboard in one of the bedrooms. I'd like it to be as small as possible.

Many thanks
Seb

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the bosh site it will give you an idea of suitable boiler or use a heatloss calculator to work out the required kW rating of each room and add them up and match it to a combi. Poorish hot water performance on a combi so only really one tap/shower at a time.

do you know your incoming water mains pressure and flow ?

What's wrong with a Worcester then out of interest or is the list to long? lol. I always thought Worcester was regarded as one of the better brands? I've seen a few firms offering 10 year guarantees on them.

Worcester have lived long on the perception they are the best. Its wearing thin now. Better options out there.

Just about anything. Vaillant, Baxi, intergas all better boilers.

Worcester have lived long on the perception they are the best. Its wearing thin now. Better options out there.

its down to what you want there all about the same

you ask 10 engineers there will be 7 different answers

but i wouldnt say Vaillant , intergas or ideal wernt any better than worcester

but i will say worcester has one of the best back up services i know and tbh as long as there serviced every year and main burner seal is replaced every 3-5 there fine havent had a problem with them

op worcester or viessmann/atag are the only boiler i install

In my mind the best boiler worcester ever took out is the greenstar Classic cdi, a brilliant boiler in every way , i fitted Bosch for years but went off the newer range and my personal experience is the classic is the bogs dollocks , I moved to the ideal vogues as ten year warranty is a big selling point, also it's a cracker of boiler

its down to what you want there all about the same

you ask 10 engineers there will be 7 different answers

but i wouldnt say Vaillant , intergas or ideal wernt any better than worcester

but i will say worcester has one of the best back up services i know and tbh as long as there serviced every year and main burner seal is replaced every 3-5 there fine havent had a problem with them

op worcester or viessmann/atag are the only boiler i install

Vaillant have an excellent back up, same day, next day. Worcestors are fine until they're out of warranty, they're a nightmare to work on. They're so critical when being re assembled after replacing the burner seal. They're a poor design, and none of the engineers I know will work on them.

I wire heating systems for a few firms round my way and most of the time its Worcesters. what annoys me is when the jobs are surveyed and 9/10 the old boiler doesn't have pump over run and the surveyor doesn't even consider this. Boiler can be down stairs in a flat roof extension with cylinder/wiring centre in airing cupboard upstairs in the middle of the house lol.

I'm replacing a 5 year old Worcester next week with a Vaillant. Worcester have an excellent marketing department.

what went wrong?

Lack of servicing by customer, as in no servicing at all. Fan had given up the ghost with APS and heat cell was warped/leaking.

can you remember what model ? and they didnt want to go down the worcester fixed price repair, would of been alot cheaper :D

:D thats a good motto

Where I live so many new build flats are being built everywhere and as I drive by them all that's all I think 'pension plan' on those flats. All of them are done by the same outfit to the lowest price and 1-2 years later they've vanished and I come in to sort out all the issues.

I wire heating systems for a few firms round my way and most of the time its Worcesters. what annoys me is when the jobs are surveyed and 9/10 the old boiler doesn't have pump over run and the surveyor doesn't even consider this. Boiler can be down stairs in a flat roof extension with cylinder/wiring centre in airing cupboard upstairs in the middle of the house lol.

Have you tried one of the wireless relays? I think Danfoss do one, perfect solution (unless the price is too tight...)

I am sure that why there are so many responses against Worcester. They always come up very high in the review sites

What about the potterton titanium boiler? It comes with 7years guarantee.

I am sure that why there are so many responses against Worcester. They always come up very high in the review sites

What about the potterton titanium boiler? It comes with 7years guarantee.

Worcester feature highly on review sites for a number of reasons. They have a HUGE marketing budget. They were extremely good boilers, and are still enjoying the reputation they deserved back then, even though the new boilers are not of the same quality. They work hand-in-glove with Which magazine, so they are always featured as "Best buy". People leaving reviews only generally have experience of their own shiny new (expensive) boiler. Basic psychology tells us that they are not going to give it a bad review, as that would make them look foolish. Installers and breakdown engineers see the common faults, and get the chance to compare against other brands.

Anyone got an opinion?

Baxi Platinum 33 HE
or
Baxi Duotec 33

Can't comment on the Baxi but gasman, a senior member on here really likes them. For my money, you can't go wrong with an Ideal Vogue. Stainless steel heat exchanger, 10-year warranty, quiet, looks good, excellent modulation ratio (very efficient). Or if you're open to a less well-known but excellently engineered product, Intergas is one to go for. Just four moving parts (so basically very little to go wrong), no diverter valve (the Achilles heel of all combis), huge waterways (so no issues with hot water performance deteriorating due to sludge or limescale). Not a pretty boiler but does the job very very well at a reasonable price point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks masoon for the detailed response. Makes sense now.

Which intergas combi boiler would recommend for my case.

2 beds
1 bathroom
1 en suite
7 rads

Thx

Thanks masoon for the detailed response. Makes sense now.

Which intergas combi boiler would recommend for my case.

2 beds
1 bathroom
1 en suite
7 rads

Thx

Either the Combi Compact HRE 24/18 or the new Eco RF. The main difference is that the Eco RF has a built-in receiver for a wireless room stat.

Either the Combi Compact HRE 24/18 or the new Eco RF. The main difference is that the Eco RF has a built-in receiver for a wireless room stat.

I should add that if your incoming mains has a really good flow rate, then you should choose a higher KW-rated boiler to take advantage of the hot water performance, and set the heating output to the requirements of the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to choose the right Worcester boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock