Search the forum,

Discuss How to become Oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Orry Clayton

First things first; I'm not Oftec, but I was looking at both Oftec and Hetas for the future possibilities and then thought I'd type this up... Mainly so in future, I will be able to find it for myself, but also to help others.

BACKGROUND

Oftec is the body that governs those working in the oil industry, while it isn't necessary to be register with Oftec, it does make it easier and cheaper to notify work.

CATEGORIES

The are three categories, for assessment to work with oil, as it is with Gas Safe.

Cat 1: Those already holding OFT Certification, and are up for re-assessment, of the particular cert'
Cat 2: Those who have a OFT Certification, but would like to add a new OFT Certification. Also, those would work within the industry such as gas safe engineers and those with relevant experience/qualifications (plumbers etc...).
Cat 3: Everyone not covered by cat 1 and 2, new to oil or plumbing. (OFT10-50)

ASSESSMENTS

OFT10-50:-
New Entrants
OFT10-101:-
Domestic/Light Commercial Commissioning/Servicing -
Pressure Jet Appliances
OFT10-102:- (Wet (W) /Dry (D))
Domestic Commissioning/Servicing –
Vaporising Appliances
OFT10-105E:-
Installation of Combustion Appliances & Systems
OFT10-600A:-
Installation of Oil Storage & Supply Systems
OFT10-201:-
Commercial Commissioning/Servicing –
Pressure Jet Appliances

REGISTERING

There are two forms of registration, individual and business. To register as a business you will need at least one person who also has individual registration (these can be applied for together).

As an individual you will be registered for different catagories, depending on what assessments have been completed;

Installation:
# Oil appliance, heating and vented hot water system
# Oil storage tank

Service and commissioning:
# Oil pressure jet appliance, heating and hot water (output<70kw)
# Oil vaporising appliance (wet and/or dry)
# Oil vaporising appliance incorporating heating and/or hot water

The cost of registering is subject to change, and varies on aMout of time you want to be registered.

RESOURCES

Oftec - www.oftec.org

====

Will add to this as I learn more, as I said was just for my own reference and to help others.

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to say that you do not have to be Oftec registered to work on oil you just have to belong to a competent persons scheme whether it be oftec Napit or some of the others.

He did say it's not necessary to register with oftec
It gives the impression that if you dont register with oftec you dont have to register with anyone else. my point was you have to be a member of a competent persons scheme.

Like any other "competent persons scheme" if you can afford the fees and the time to attend the course, you are in regardless of what you know or are capable of doing.

You forgot to say that you do not have to be Oftec registered to work on oil you just have to belong to a competent persons scheme whether it be oftec Napit or some of the others.

Yeah I agree I should have said "other schemes are available"; Oftec is the main one in this, and customers generally go for the one they know.

The following are all registered with HSE as CPS for Oil, not sure with are currently offering it to members at the moment.
APHC, BESCA, ELECSA, HETAS, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC

Waste of money. Too many people without it doing work and oftec doing sweet fa to do anything about it.

How did you find the training and assessments? Are they worth it, for knowledge?

Waste of money. Too many people without it doing work and oftec doing sweet fa to do anything about it.

I've been working on oil for years without being Oftec registered. Unless the HSE make it mandatory, people will continue to do so. Who needs more over heads!?

I'm getting registered at the end of this month, as I want to commision and register my own installations.

Personally think it should be mandatory that you are registered as competant to work on oil with fines for those flouting the rules.

Well I thought I should update.

I'm now one of the oily brethren.

I got my Oftec reg numbers through today amd I'm now Oftec Registered as well as Gas Safe.

I won't have you treating me any differently, I'm still just Danny!! LOL. ;) ;)

Oh they allready call me smelly Danny. Does kerosene mask terrible body odour? If yes, then that's a bonus!

LOL.

Well I'm pretty chuffed, and look forward to adorning the van with a new green sticker!

As said, I've done a bit of oil work for years, so it's nice to be registered.

Now when people ask me am I certified, I can say, oh yes madame. LOL

LOL.

Well I'm pretty chuffed, and look forward to adorning the van with a new green sticker!

As said, I've done a bit of oil work for years, so it's nice to be registered.

Now when people ask me am I certified, I can say, oh yes madame. LOL

Well done, hope it expands earnings beyond the average rumour figures.

Just a note of caution, how do I say this?

Errrmmmmm don't call your male customers "madame" all men will not appreciate the title :)

SimonG - Do not despair; I am led to believe that this will soon be changing (I too had my reservations about becoming an OFTEC registered technician). OFTEC are going to be launching a media campaign, hopefully informing and educating the public of the need to have competent, registered tradesmen/companies to complete their servicing and installations needs etc. By doing this, and making the public more aware (as they are with regards to the requirement for Gas Safe engineers), then perhaps we will start to see a drop in the usage of non registered engineers.............................................................maybe!!

Wont work unless appliances and parts can only be bought on production of members I.D.card.We have been saying this for years to those that can change it,but what happens sweet F.A

True - although my local merchant won't sell oil parts unless you produce said card - maybe a rarity I know, especially with well known internet sites not even bothering to check!

SimonG - Do not despair; I am led to believe that this will soon be changing (I too had my reservations about becoming an OFTEC registered technician). OFTEC are going to be launching a media campaign, hopefully informing and educating the public of the need to have competent, registered tradesmen/companies to complete their servicing and installations needs etc. By doing this, and making the public more aware (as they are with regards to the requirement for Gas Safe engineers), then perhaps we will start to see a drop in the usage of non registered engineers.............................................................maybe!!

I heard this about 3 years ago. Also heard about how plumbers would have to have the water regs qualification.

Instead all that happens is institutions like GasSafe, OFTEC, ESA, etc keep adding to the rules to justify their jobs and we all have to pay increased subscriptions.

And because there are so many tradesmen it's impossible to form a group or union to fight this so ...

Nothing happens and nothing improves. More cowboys, more have a go heroes and, if I'm honest, more new people like me who'd like to do things by the book but are left behind because having done the courses I don't want to spend another hour or two each week learning more regulations which may or may not be applicable to my work.

I knew there was a reason for growing hairs on me chest and wanting to get something off it ... (oh golly, I'm losing the plot here).

Oh I don't despair, do many other things besides oil, but I won't hold my breath on the oftec front, I'll end up as blue as bod :)

In my opinion oftec, like other registrations, has put loads of people, many with no links to heating or plumbing, out there servicing & installing oil boilers etc. The people with these "qualifications" tell the public they are engineers. Cant see how this raises standards.
I have a friend who is not from a building trade background & without any prior research he got the 101 & the more technical 105 exams no bother. He comes very much under the "get a fully qualified oftec engineer" term, yet he hasn't much of a clue.
Still, a nice badge does look well on a van! :smile:

In my opinion oftec, like other registrations, has put loads of people, many with no links to heating or plumbing, out there servicing & installing oil boilers etc. The people with these "qualifications" tell the public they are engineers. Cant see how this raises standards.
I have a friend who is not from a building trade background & without any prior research he got the 101 & the more technical 105 exams no bother. He comes very much under the "get a fully qualified oftec engineer" term, yet he hasn't much of a clue.
Still, a nice badge does look well on a van! :smile:

That's probably true.

In my instance, I have been working with oil since I started, as I live in a rural area (Cowden Village) and it's nice to finally have the qualifications to go with the experience.

That's probably true.

In my instance, I have been working with oil since I started, as I live in a rural area (Cowden Village) and it's nice to finally have the qualifications to go with the experience.

Was just saying what I thought about oftec Danny. Congratulations on getting the oil qualifications! You, as an experienced oil guy deserve to be able to use it to your advantage. I also did the oftec exams. Over in N.Ireland there was & still is a lot of oil heating & suddenly it seemed everyone from any background were doing the 101 exam as they thought it was easy money.
Out of interest, do you think, as an oil guy, did you learn much?
Always something to learn I guess, but if I hadn't have known about oil heating before I did the oftec, I wouldn't have come out much wiser. :smile:

Last edited:
I learned the odd thing here and there, but in fairness I didn't learn much.

I know it sounds like I'm showing off, but I finished very early on the last day, before all the other candidates. They were all also experienced guys, and one of them was an Oftec inspector!!

I've done pressure jets, and tanks. I haven't bothered with vapourising as I don't have any experience of them and having the ticket doesn't mean that over night I would be an expert. So I still decline Aga's and Rayburns.

I've done pressure jets, and tanks. I haven't bothered with vapourising as I don't have any experience of them and having the ticket doesn't mean that over night I would be an expert. So I still decline Aga's and Rayburns.

Haven't done vaporising either. Would need to do a lot to justify the extra time & cost of exam. Not a lot servicing some vaporising ranges. Just a thorough decarb & new wicks basically. Open flued, so risky. There is a a company who will supply an Aga service book for a reasonable cost & any parts you need.

I heard that there is one type of Aga that can quite easily go BANG if you cock it up. I don't know if this is true as I stay well away from them. Even gas ones, I just don't have the experience.

There is a local firm near me who mop up all the Aga's anyway. They're about 2 miles from me, and have it wrapped up tight!

I would have thought I could nick some of their boiler work though as they're twice as expensive as me.

Haven't done vaporising either. Would need to do a lot to justify the extra time & cost of exam. Not a lot servicing some vaporising ranges. Just a thorough decarb & new wicks basically. Open flued, so risky. There is a a company who will supply an Aga service book for a reasonable cost & any parts you need.

If there is a market in your area, and you think you could poach it. Your best bet might be to see if there is an Aga training facility nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to become Oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock