Search the forum,

Discuss how reliable are compression joints? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm curious about the reliability of compression fittings.
I recently re-fitted a compression iso valve to my father's outdoor tap. It had been leak free for 25+ years. But this year, when he opened the valve water gushed out under the sink (the brass olive inside had lost its bite, and the copper pipe could be pulled back/forth in the joint.
I re-made the joint. But it got me thinking.
How reliable could the other fittings in his house be? This was a brass olive (I've seen other posts debating copper v brass olives).
I'm a student plumber, and was formerly under the impression that once a compression fitting had been tested, it was pretty much good for ever. How would you advise a homeowner on this?
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Jennie

Oh yeah, of course. That leads to another question - how to drain the tap and pipework during winter. He had turned the iso valve off. I suppose he ran the tap on the outside, (but don't know for sure). However, he doesn't have a drain valve fitted, so there would still be water in the pipework. No double check valve either. It's an oldish tap, so I suppose it doesn't have an internal check valve either.
Any tips?
Thanks, Jennie

It's been mentioned on here before, but for future reference:
If you're fitting an o/s tap, do it in such a way to allow ALL the water to drain out when you close the ISO and open the tap. i.e. pipework goes downhill from internal ISO. Makes winter draining fool proof.

In fairness I agree with Reg Man, isolate it and then leave the tap open and it will be OK. But what you say is true, there should be a way to drain the tap/pipe work too.

I've got customers who are way too lazy to bother doing that though!

I'm considering putting in a tee and a lever valve as a drain off for a customer who I'm going to see on Saturday as I just know they won't use the drain cock if I fit one.

I'm currentlly putting together an 'Outside Tap Maintenance' advice sheet for future customers. I'll print a load off and make sure each customer gets a copy along with their receit.

Last edited:
I'm currentlly putting together an 'Outside Tap Maintenance' advice sheet for future customers. I'll print a load off and make sure each customer gets a copy along with their receit.

You sir, are the type of plumber I want when I'm old and gray and have to pay someone else to do my plumbing work!!

You sir, are the type of plumber I want when I'm old and gray and have to pay someone else to do my plumbing work!!

I'll most likely post a copy in the Plumbers Arms when it's done. The 'Extra Mile' and all that good stuff, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how reliable are compression joints? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
I understand that, at least in the USA, the term "Lead Free" means "not more than a weighted average of 0.25% lead when used with respect to the wetted surfaces of pipes, pipe lead-free compression fittings, plumbing fittings and fixtures." In other words, Lead Free does not necessary mean Zero...
Replies
Views
Going to put in new iso valves and on the compression fitting should a smidgen of LSX be used around the olive? On the other end will be fitting tap tail adaptors again using olive and smidgen of LSX. https://www.toolstation.com/tap-tail-adaptors/p14081 So is there any downside in using LSX...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock