Search the forum,

Discuss How old is my Grundfos pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had so many old pumps lying around that i did my bit for the community and dropped them at the door of the charity shop one morning :smile:

It's sad the amount of old pumps I've kept hold of in the past. All because they were working when we ripped them out. If I had enough space, I'd chuck nothing away. Better hope my six numbers don't come up tonight, as I'll be hoarding like no tomorrow with my new lock up!! :)

i will not be fitting the new pumps in boilers its not as the product was designed! hopefully the fact that only the pump head gets changed in boilers is the loop hole we are looking for, im sick of all these ideas to change things! people will not change a perfectly good pump for a new one because the goverment says so lol! they are having a laugh aint they?

You won't have a choice tbh. If retailers and manufacturers are, albeit reluctantly, behind this new EUP directive then where will you magic standard efficiency pumps from? The moon? There'll only be a stock for so long!

This is true. I reckon it will take a while to run the stock down that's allready out in warehouses across the land....but eventually they'll all be gone and we'll be forced into it. As for inside boilers.....well they're all specials produced by the manufacturer (normally Grundfos or Wilo). I think they'll continue to produce these.

For example a Grundfos 15-50 X18 is a modulating pump used in Gledhill units. I called Grundfos years ago when Gledhill went out of business, to try and source replacment pumps. They couldn't help, as it was a special order and the bloke on the phone knew very little about it.

I would imagine these and a great many other pumps will continue to get made in short runs, as like for like replacments. But I'm only guessing! We'll see.

How can you replace a pump that is modulated by thermistors with an intelligent pump, with a mind of its own?!

I don't think they will continue to manufacture them as mainstream products. Dunno about as spares, but if the latter, they aren't going to be cheap.

But I don't know. I will try to find out though - its not a small issue.

Circulating Pumps say that they won't make anymore complete pumps but will continue to supply heads to boiler manufacturers for sale as spares.

Grundfos haven't answered yet.

Why O why is it always the same with (most) Plumbers as soon as something new comes out it is Ooooooh No, thats no good, we have been doing it like this for years & years & years so why do we need to change !!! Just think back I have heard the same arguments when plastic soil & waste replaced cast iron, when condensing boilers came in, when you all had to buy a gas analyser & learn how to use it. Every time !!!

We live in a modern world things change, embrace it or do you what to live life as it was 100 years ago ???

The reason they have to bring in a directive is that you lot would never move over to the new ones otherwise (How long have these pumps been out there now - 10+ years) The case for the electrical saving, let alone the heating benefits, is more than proven & just because this one action is not on its own going the save the plant what do we say Oh well wont bother with any of it. I would rather try & implement all the energy saving measures possible than have to pay my taxes to build one of them new fangled nuclear power plants, Oh shoot that my argument shot out of the water, dam.:32: rant over.

I would rather try & implement all the energy saving measures possible than have to pay my taxes to build one of them new fangled nuclear power plants, Oh shoot that my argument shot out of the water, dam.:32: rant over.

I hear what you are saying Chris but...............

There is good work to be had in the building of nuclear plants. Two of my mates worked on the building of Torness for 6 years being paid top dollar.

As for pumps. I couldn't give a toss. I'll fit anything i'm paid for. (bet most get set to fixed speed by the usual parts changers on a time limit).
Boiler pumps will still be made but the price will rise as they will be classed as an OM part.
No skin off my back.

Btw. Anyone else ever wonder why global warming quietly changed to climate change? Perhaps it wasn't quite working out to plan¿¿¿
Still: no matter what it is called; it is a good thing to generate some work and raise more taxes!

"We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles".........bet Edison is glad he's dead :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost me at the end Chris, but I liked it all the same.
Just being silly at the end, Its just people are always moaning about not doing all the small things (& some bigger things like building wind turbines) our power supply problem will not be solved by some big gesturing even like building nuclear power plants (just been in the news), all the little bits do add up & do make a difference.

Btw. Anyone else ever wonder why global warming quietly changed to climate change? Perhaps it wasn't quite working out to plan¿¿¿
Still: no matter what it is called; it is a good thing to generate some work and raise more taxes!

Now you mention it. No!!

Won't just be the parts changers who set them to a speed. I can see myself doing it too!! :) Er hang on. I think we all know what that makes me!!

Green is all a con as a kid we were heading for the next ice age, oh and they told us electric from nuclear power would be so cheap it wouldnt be worth sending a bill
and then there was the promise of more leisure time more recently renamed unemployment

We live in a modern world things change, embrace it or do you what to live life as it was 100 years ago ???

The reason they have to bring in a directive is that you lot would never move over to the new ones otherwise (How long have these pumps been out there now - 10+ years) The case for the electrical saving, let alone the heating benefits, is more than proven & just because this one action is not on its own going the save the plant what do we say Oh well wont bother with any of it. I would rather try & implement all the energy saving measures possible than have to pay my taxes to build one of them new fangled nuclear power plants, Oh shoot that my argument shot out of the water, dam.:32: rant over.
I feel like I have missed the thread about the new development in safely disposing nuclear waste. But surely fitting band A pumps will be a much worse alternative. In specific the need to read the manual. And selecting a suitable operation within all those complicated options.
Dear. What a major problem.
Instead using our knowledge to make them aware of the problems with ABVs we are like kids, "I don't like the new pumps".

One thing everyone's missing here is the cost saving to the custard. yes they cost more, our problem? no. offset onto the custard.

I really cannot see an issue here!

One thing everyone's missing here is the cost saving to the custard. yes they cost more, our problem? no. offset onto the custard.

I really cannot see an issue here!
On the old prices it was 10-20£ before VAT. Customer will have a return of investment usually in the first heating period everything else is a bonus
And I had not one of the Alphas to change yet.

On the old prices it was 10-20£ before VAT. Customer will have a return of investment usually in the first heating period everything else is a bonus
And I had not one of the Alphas to change yet.
so your saying the £120 will be recouped in one heating season due to a reduction in gas and electric sorry but i find that to be an unbelievably huge saving

Have we found out the reason for wanting to know about the pump ? I have clicked on this thread about 3 times now and lost the will to live a few posts in. Am i right in assuming it works ?

So between the two of you...if the customer saves 40% a year, then they would normally spend £168 a year on just powering their heating pump?

No problem.

However this is assuming that it really can save 40%. If it really is that efficient, then they do sound good!

Do you know that's just what all those people on the north coast of America are saying right know.
Weather and climate are two completely different things. Weather occurs day by day. Climate is something that can only be understood century by century.

Weather and climate are two completely different things. Weather occurs day by day. Climate is something that can only be understood century by century.
So you would not make any connection between the ferocity or the extremes of the "Weather" & the changes in the "Climate" i.e. the warming / temperature rise ?? or would you like a lot of the rest of the world prefer to wait 100 years & then say one way or the other.

So you would not make any connection between the ferocity or the extremes of the "Weather" & the changes in the "Climate" i.e. the warming / temperature rise ?? or would you like a lot of the rest of the world prefer to wait 100 years & then say one way or the other.
Climate is measured over decades, weather is a a day by day measurement ie cold today, warm yesterday,wet the day before. Climate= Ice age,mini ice age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How old is my Grundfos pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock