Search the forum,

Discuss How much for your Plumbing non employed 6129 Technical Certificate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is an argument for higher education, in that doing a degree in History, Philosophy or the Arts has intrinsic value or 'learning for its own sake' is an accepted pursuit.

However, 'vocational education and training' offers a different proposition.

If we take the word vocational as meaning a career choice, then there is the implicit assumption that vocational education leads to a job in a particular field such as medicine or plumbing.

I would strongly argue that there are now few instances of adults doing plumbing courses for their own sake, compared to those doing courses with some intention of doing the job.

If we now introduce the government rhetoric of 'skills training' and providing people with the skills employers want, there is an explicit implication that the courses lead into industry or provide the first steps in a process.

The consequences of the 'over-ambitious' claims by training providers and government, is that people are now 'brain-washed' into thinking they need a course to become something - all part of the marketisation of education and training.

Courses are sold and people are left with debt, no job and the frustration of looking for work in field that is 'probably' over-supplied, but we don't know the numbers. In addition, people lose confidence in their knowledge, because they have not practised it yet, and probably just give up. Or tech-cert students are faced to 'set-up' and incurr more cost when going self-employed - which benefits the wider economy because self employed people generate business (at their own expense).

Numbers are massively important, thats why they are kept secret. I don't think many would be shelling out £thousands for courses or chosing a career in plumbing if they knew there was little chance of finding a job. I can't believe the 48,000 who turned up for a tech-cert in 2008 were doing it because they loved the subject and wanted to learn it for its own sake.

I think there is an argument for higher education, in that doing a degree in History, Philosophy or the Arts has intrinsic value or 'learning for its own sake' is an accepted pursuit. HE and secondary yes

However, 'vocational education and training' offers a different proposition. agreed but its not totally exclusive to this concept

If we take the word vocational as meaning a career choice, then there is the implicit assumption that vocational education leads to a job in a particular field such as medicine or plumbing. Yes i agree in the majority of cases but again it shouldnt be totally exclusive or considered as such

I would strongly argue that there are now few instances of adults doing plumbing courses for their own sake, compared to those doing courses with some intention of doing the job. I agree

If we now introduce the government rhetoric of 'skills training' and providing people with the skills employers want, there is an explicit implication that the courses lead into industry or provide the first steps in a process. Agreed, and I think plumbing quals fit into this just fine

The consequences of the 'over-ambitious' claims by training providers and government, is that people are now 'brain-washed' into thinking they need a course to become something - all part of the marketisation of education and training Not usre brain washed but yes this can be one view, this is were my persistent message of informed judgments and knowing the facts comes in

Courses are sold and people are left with debt, no job and the frustration of looking for work in field that is 'probably' over-supplied, i presume this is the case, and it is said repeatably on here time after time, again this is not the fault of the qualification, it is the fault of the seller misleading and the buyer not doing their research. but we don't know the numbers.
In addition, people lose confidence in their knowledge, because they have not practised it yet, and probably just give up Its no different than many courses, I feel that plumbing gets bad press with this, what about all the other courses that do the same? How many people with ONC's, HNC's H&S quals etc etc go into that direct line of work? I know several people who have completed the 6129 who have got jobs on the back of it but not as a plumber, one is now a caretaker in a school, one got a job as a joinery apprentice because the successful course was proof of applying oneself, there will be numerous success stories like this but they are difficult to measure
Or tech-cert students are faced to 'set-up' and incurr more cost when going self-employed - which benefits the wider economy because self employed people generate business (at their own expense) The tech cert is not designed to make somebody a plumber so they shouldnt really go self employed as a 'fully qualified' plumber, nothing wrong though with basic works if they work within their own ability

Numbers are massively important, thats why they are kept secret. I don't think many would be shelling out £thousands for courses or chosing a career in plumbing if they knew there was little chance of finding a jobt Are you sure clanger? just read many posts on here, how many say they realise its not going to be easy and the money isnt going to be all that and still pay to do it because its what they want
I can't believe the 48,000 who turned up for a tech-cert in 2008 were doing it because they loved the subject and wanted to learn it for its own sake True, but we know and understand much more now so no reason to refuse training for people, we also cannot alter what went on before. We shouldnt stop people training now because many trained numerous years ago. They should be given the opportunity

replies in bold above

I could be misguided or wrong on what I have written, I never rule this out.

nor me clanger, tis only my view, i like to think its based on a good understanding of the issues but only my view all the same
Is this how you two girls call a truce then ?? It is nice that you can still kiss & make-up after such a hot debate.
PS Fuzzy, does my views not count on this one then ? LOL

Is this how you two girls call a truce then ?? It is nice that you can still kiss & make-up after such a hot debate.
PS Fuzzy, does my views not count on this one then ? LOL

ha, ha

of course they count, sorry for excluding you from the huddle lol

i suppose it is a kinda truce, or we both pig headed and wont budge so we cannot be bothered to push each other:biggrin5:

im happy to continue with this thread but i think me and clanger know and respect each others views, even if we dont agree entirely

Hello everybody

I have completed my C&G 6129 Basic Plumbing Studies Level 2.

I have received the following certificates

The main certificate with all the exams
The final gola certificate
Then certificate which has got (APHC) on it

I am yet to receive another 11 certificates for each indiviudal exam example Central heating system (pipework only) etc....

Please reply back thank you

Hello everybody

((Am I yet to receive another 11 certificates for each indiviudal exam, example Central heating system (pipework only) etc....))

Yes they are only to show completed modules and not really worth anything. Only the main qualifications certs are needed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Kay-Jay

I am well aware that the are not worth anything. However my question is this. At some point within the next couple of months will I receive those 11 certificates because I have only received 3 certificate up to yet. I emailed the exam department in college and they said that they don't know. hope this helps

They should come through. Ask your college mates if they have theirs. If concerned contact awarding body.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Kay-Jay

I am well aware that the are not worth anything. However my question is this. At some point within the next couple of months will I receive those 11 certificates because I have only received 3 certificate up to yet. I emailed the exam department in college and they said that they don't know. hope this helps

they are normally sent via he awarding body directly after successful completion of the online exam

the overall cert is what is claimed and the thing you really want. if you have that dont worry about the others, if you havnt then i would contact the college

Just bumping this to bring all contributors to the attention of all the threads we have on our forums about Train 4 Trade Skills.

There have been A LOT of people who feel they have been missold courses by Train 4 Trade Skills. Many taking legal action.

Please see this for electrical course threads on our sparky forum: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t..._cp.r_qf.&fp=37fc7606ff53045&biw=1500&bih=958
This for plumbing course threads on our plumbing forum: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t..._cp.r_qf.&fp=37fc7606ff53045&biw=1500&bih=958

Hello,

I am currently working towards my C&G 6035 Diploma in plumbing studies level 3. Which has now replaced the old C&G 6129 domestic plumbing studies level 3.

I have completed the Renewable technology unit, and now started on the core domestic gas priciples unit. Does anybody have any pass papers on Gas Safety & Appliances or even renewable.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thansk

Mohammed

Hello,

I am currently working towards my C&G 6035 Diploma in plumbing studies level 3. Which has now replaced the old C&G 6129 domestic plumbing studies level 3.

I have completed the Renewable technology unit, and now started on the core domestic gas priciples unit. Does anybody have any pass papers on Gas Safety & Appliances or even renewable.

Many thansk

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed
How is it going ? I would be interested in what the syllabus is like for the 6035 at Level 3, as I was told it is likely to follow that of the 6189 NVQ but without the onsite assessments. We have done all the core units first, cold, hot, heating, sanitation, electrical & a small one about organising resources (in the first year or so) & then only do what you are doing in the second year.
Because it is a new course there is nothing available even the books for the gas in the 6189 are not due out until July next year I think? The old 6129 L3 JTL book was not at all bad for the gas theory, it would be worth getting, if you can get one cheap.

Hi Mohammed
How is it going ? I would be interested in what the syllabus is like for the 6035 at Level 3, as I was told it is likely to follow that of the 6189 NVQ but without the onsite assessments. We have done all the core units first, cold, hot, heating, sanitation, electrical & a small one about organising resources (in the first year or so) & then only do what you are doing in the second year.
Because it is a new course there is nothing available even the books for the gas in the 6189 are not due out until July next year I think? The old 6129 L3 JTL book was not at all bad for the gas theory, it would be worth getting, if you can get one cheap.

The level 3 contains the same core units but does not have anywhere near the depth of the 6189.

Hello,

Many thansk

Mohammed

where are you doing your L3 at ?

Hello again,

I'm studying my C&G 6035 Diploma in plumbing studies level 3 at Trafford College. I would suggest for those who are waiting for the NEW JTL book to use to 6129 BOOK & QUESTIONS and the only difference is the new unit Renewable Awareness exam. I was told by my tutor that City and guilds have took out alot of Gas practicle work and the practical portfolio is small. But hopefully the course tutors will allow you do do the practicle side too.

My question is. Hopefully if I get an apprenticeship I was told by my tutor that there will still be some core units to continue on to the 6189 ? I am confused slighly help!

Hi

Can somebody email me some exam practice papers for unit Core Domestic Gas Principles.

Please reply

6035 plumbing cheers

What are you saying the issue is exactly?

Your original question was who on here has completed the 6129!?!

In your opinion (which we are all entitled to our own, be them wide & varied) are you questioning the credibility of the course?

Whilst others on here may have many many years of experience, be it on housing development sites, domestic call outs or even commercial. There are others like myself who have gone down the route of the 6129. I did it as the career I had chosen previously, had sadly not been successful for me so wanted to learn a trade as I consider myself to be a "practical" skills person. I was too old to be able to do an apprenticeship so I chose the 6129.

It worked perfectly for me. 6 weeks, 5 days a weeks, 8-5 for £2000+ which came out of my own pocket.

I am currently self employed, in my 3rd year of business & have never looked back. It was one of the best decisions I made! It's been tough at times but ultimately I am 100% happy with my final career choice!

I say as long as people are willing to put the effort in & not just expect a jolly, then good luck to them. We need to get people back working somehow, as in the long run it will benefit us all. This generation & the next!

Well said mate

Hello everybody

I am yet to receive another 11 certificates for each indiviudal exam example Central heating system (pipework only) etc....

Hi when did you recieve all your certificates ive only had my gola one so far

Local College (University status) 2 nights a week for 2 years! One night theory with lecturer, one night with full time plumber and Workshop technician, plus theory home work!
£500 year one, £500 year 2 plus £300 NVQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much for your Plumbing non employed 6129 Technical Certificate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock