Search the forum,

Discuss How gospel is the max core bit size rating for core drills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
My mate has borrowed mine and I'm worried he might be using it for hole bigger than the 127mm max rating.

I've gone a bit past the max on mine, just took it slower and gentler than normal, so not absolutely gospel if you compensate.
However, will your mate care for your drill as you would?
Golden rule - Don't lend your tools to anyone.

Lend my Makita diamind core drill to a mate, to drill a tumble dryer vent.
He said wow! It drills rally fast! I used it a few days later, when I lookef at it it was on hammer!!

I won't lend my tools out after that. Look at how much theses are to hire with bits.

All very well but do you all genuinely just flat out refuse? In real life? To friends in need?

Or is this just forum hyperbole?

Genuine question

Ill will lend my trade mates tools and they lend me there stuff if I'm in need!

Depends on your friends though really! mine are like me.........trustworthy haha

And answer to the original question don't go over board too much on size, wont just burn your drill out think of the kick if the clutch doesn't work!

the drill will most likely be fine, ive used my sds drill to core cut a 4" hole and thats only rated to 40mm or something and yes i know you shouldnt use a sds but i was in a jam at the time,

As to lending tools out, the most i will lend out is a hammer and masonry chisel,
if anyone asks, i just tell them i need them for work and as i offer 24/7 call out i might need them at the time they've got them.

if it was a good friend who was really in need then i'd be doing the work for them, wouldnt you?

As Plumben says, if they're stuck, I'll take the tool and do the hole or whatever it is they need.
Last tool I lent out was a jigsaw to a mate doing up a bar, came back covered in cola post-mix syrup and with my awesome blade replaced by a really crap one, still works but smells a bit funky.

I lent my ex girlfriend my wetvac years ago (before I was even a plumber) and first use she burned the motor out. The ball rises with the water level and then blocks off the motor vent and the motor starts gasping for air and you are supposed to imediatley switch it off and empty the damn thing but she kept it on until it started smoking and burning.

I used to use a sds plus for cores and it lasted years, I've used my core drill above what I should a couple of times and no problem.

i was looking out the back window the other day and saw the bloke next door burying his dead wife under the patio ******* i knew he didnt give me my spade back

The ideal solution to any situation is not usually the one that resorts to reflexive lying, especially not with friends/family.

But I guess "You can't borrow it because I like you but I don't trust you have the opposable thumbs not to break it into pieces but I suspect you do have the chutzpah not to tell me you did" will lead to awkward situations

Re: How gospel is the max core bit size rating for core drills?

I guess your mate may well find out.

Whether or not he tells you may be another thing.
If it comes back in a smouldering heap - the rated size could be justified as gospel.

The ideal solution to any situation is not usually the one that resorts to reflexive lying, especially not with friends/family.

But I guess "You can't borrow it because I like you but I don't trust you have the opposable thumbs not to break it into pieces but I suspect you do have the chutzpah not to tell me you did" will lead to awkward situations

Thats the trouble with friends and family, they think that you have to lend them something because you've got it

Thats the trouble with friends and family, they think that you have to lend them something because you've got it

Don`t they just! My Ex Brother-in-law wouldn`t lend me his Aston Martin for a weekend though! lol

I lent my core drill to someone once, it came back with a burnt out motor which cost me ÂŁ110 to get fixed. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How gospel is the max core bit size rating for core drills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all i need some help and advice i am tiling around 2 shower pipe fittings. as the measurements were intricate i was practicing on off cuts and trying to create a template. I've noticed when i drill holes into the tiles sometimes they would crack. i don't use any pressure or drill too fast...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, recently had a bit of a dispute over a quote asking me to break it down etc saying they can buy this from X for Y.. how much is labour/materials.. shockingly it was from friends so it's taken its toll on me mentally if I'm honest.. I'm don't think I'm outrageously pricey but I do a...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock