Search the forum,

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apply it just to the pipe and turn the fittings around on the pipe so it goes smoothly around everything,
The 2 blokes i work with both put it in the fitting and on the pipe, they teach at college NOT to put it in the fitting EVER,
not sure why!
Its because when you push pipe into the fitting the excess flux gets pushed into the pipework system, if you put it onto the pipe you will see the excess seep out externally.

I only fit pipes when I'm sitting
I flux dip the end if the solder
I wipe it on pipe AND the fitting
But I'll finger it when I'm much older.

pipe & fitting with my finger, then i wipe my fingers on my jeans, then on my fleece
some usually ends up in my nose and on to the steering wheel and then I have to clean the transit seat afterwards. Finally it gets on the door knob at home and some ends up on my office chair. after leaving some on the hand rail on the stairs - office on 3rd floor. some ended up on Sams babygrow when he was little

centralheatking

I was watching a young plumber yesterday. We get provided with powerflow flux on site (i prefer la-co)
Anyway this lad didn't flux pipe or fittings. He assembled all joints dry then brushed flux around the joints and then sweat them up.

Never seen or heard anyone doing it this way. He says its because the powerflow flux makes it difficult to assemble joints and twist them etc when the acid bites. I know what he means this is why i hate powerflow flux.
I work with a bloke who does that every time and never gets leaks but i wouldnt feel confident doing it..also he has to heat it up really really slowly so the flux gets drawn in and not just burned off.

Nice idea - i will try this - seems a really less messy way to do things
I work with a bloke who does that every time and never gets leaks but i wouldnt feel confident doing it..also he has to heat it up really really slowly so the flux gets drawn in and not just burned off.

Why not just do it the way the copper development board recommend.

Flux the pipe only.

right board now flux this,flux that i want answers to more serious questions,who craps them selfs when sweating up in the eves :winkiss:

Pipe and fitting is just one vote behind pipe only!! Ha!

Don't care what the copper board says any more Mike!! :)

I was watching a young plumber yesterday. We get provided with powerflow flux on site (i prefer la-co)
Anyway this lad didn't flux pipe or fittings. He assembled all joints dry then brushed flux around the joints and then sweat them up.

Never seen or heard anyone doing it this way. He says its because the powerflow flux makes it difficult to assemble joints and twist them etc when the acid bites. I know what he means this is why i hate powerflow flux.

i remember a team of 3 engineers (if you can call them that) who used to do the same, and im going back about 13-14 years ago. They did have more leaks than most and there slodering was not very neat tbh, but they were rough.

im currently using roughly 60/40 laco to powerflow mix and its working well, i tried 60/40 powerflow to laco but it did start to bind more like you normally get with powerflow alone.

Is that because you only use plastic and flexis now then?

Too late posting, was replying to Danny,

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that because you only use plastic and flexis now then?

Too late posting, was replying to Danny,

Yeah mate, and push fit flexis' at that. None of this compression lark.

My tool kit has a plastic pipe cutter in it, and a fork for my pot noodles. And that's it.

right board now flux this,flux that i want answers to more serious questions,who craps them selfs when sweating up in the eves :winkiss:

Had a hairy situation in my sisters loft while extending the OSV. It was clipped along a few roof spars which looked like rough sawn (really old house) and the splinters decided to suck the flame from my blowtorch and quickly began sharing it with their mates. I managed to pat out the flames with my solder mat but for a moment I honestly thought I'd have to dive head first out the loft hatch.

That was a heart pounding moment and since then I've always kept a mini fire extinguisher close by.

Does anyone dip the pipe in the flux? Tell me no ones ever done it just once to be rebellious....

...oh and I would love to meet R.D. Treloar. Imagine being his apprentice, you would be doing boiler houses in a day by 2nd year! Legend!

Does anyone dip the pipe in the flux? Tell me no ones ever done it just once to be rebellious....

...oh and I would love to meet R.D. Treloar. Imagine being his apprentice, you would be doing boiler houses in a day by 2nd year! Legend!
I recall someone saying he was a student of Treloar's, sure it was a member of this forum.

Oh and with 61 votes cast....pipe only versus pipe and fitting is dead even. Who'd have thunk it!?

Pipe on its own mostly but when I know it's going to be a ******* both.

I think it was the old Yorkshire Fittings guide which stated flux should be applied sparingly to both surfaces to be soldered, and that is what I have always followed. Otherwise if you get any surfaces the flux does not run onto you risk non-adhesion

I think it was the old Yorkshire Fittings guide which stated flux should be applied sparingly to both surfaces to be soldered, and that is what I have always followed. Otherwise if you get any surfaces the flux does not run onto you risk non-adhesion

I twist the pipe where possible.as this smears flux all around. Not too fussed really though as the flux runs around the joint when heated. Capillary attraction works on the molten flux just as it does on the solder

Fine for the standard 15 and 22mm fittings but as they get larger it's more important

Fittings and pipe is a vote ahead. No one is going to argue with stalwarts like WHEPES and System3 are they?

So all you fittings only lot, mend your ways!

Fittings and pipe is a vote ahead. No one is going to argue with stalwarts like WHEPES and System3 are they?

So all you fittings only lot, mend your ways!

Get out of it, never had a soldered joint fail yet plus my flux lasts twice as long.

You've not had a single joint fail you yet....ever, ever?

In the past 15 years or more, I've had one joint fail me (I can still remember the joint). Reducing tee, with a street elbow, and another elbow off of that. One part of the joint wouldn't take. Think I burnt the flux.

So I can't be doing much wrong my way. My tub of flux lasts me ages too.

I am considering going fitting only for gas work. I tend to use powerflow for gas now as it's less aggressive than Ever.

You've not had a single joint fail you yet....ever, ever?

Never... ever. I've always used LA-CO too, tried Powerflow once and hated it.

Laco.

That's it. I've heard enough. I hate that stuff. Bloody awful flux.

I've tried it. Then gave the tub away twice. I have no idea why it's popular on here. Most blokes I've worked with have reckoned it's crap too.

Burns too easily if you use Mapp and you're sweating 35mm+. Larger fittings need a bit of heat in the fitting, Laco starts to turn black before the solder runs properly. I hate that brand big time!

Laco.

That's it. I've heard enough. I hate that stuff. Bloody awful flux.

I've tried it. Then gave the tub away twice. I have no idea why it's popular on here. Most blokes I've worked with have reckoned it's crap too.

Burns too easily if you use Mapp and you're sweating 35mm+. Larger fittings need a bit of heat in the fitting, Laco starts to turn black before the solder runs properly. I hate that brand big time!

I found the Powerflow turned black that was the main reason I decided I couldn't be bothered with it. I only ever use propane too as MAPP is way too hot, I rarely ever work on anything bigger than 28mm. Never experienced the LA-CO go black either, maybe it does that if you use MAPP???

Maybe. Laco is very popular on here.

I've been using nothing but Mapp for years now. I can't remember when I swapped over from propane, but it must be +10 years.

If I use propane (pick up one of my lads torches) it does my head in. Takes too long to heat the joint! I know it's just seconds difference, but I guess it's what you know.

I've also burnt powerflow. Maybe it's time I bought a can of propane!!

EverFlux is bloody great. You'd have to be a fool to burn it. It will clean up oxidised copped no problem, and it lasts ages. However it does eat your skin. Which makes you wonder. What is it doing to my lungs as I inhale the fumes?

I find that the fumes from powerflow are a lot worse than those from everflux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock