Search the forum,

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all have our vices :lol:

We all have our vices :lol:

I feel like you've created a problem for me now. I'm at a crossroads. One way is getting home faster, one is tidier joints. What a quandary.

Do you literally not clean anything? Not even those little marks the pipeslice rollers leave on the pipe?

Honestly. I clean nothing but the very dirtiest of pipes and i know even then i don't need to but i do out of habit and because it is cheaper than a drain down. Never cleaned a fitting since around 1985 when self cleaning fluxes came out.

If you switch to traditional fluxes everything needs to be spotless or you will get leaks but it looks so much better.
My 1st 2 weeks in this trade was as a fittings polisher and tea maker. I've hated it ever since.
Btw i've used laco for 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've used powerflow since I was an apprentice (you stick to what you're taught/know) and I've never worked with anyone who didn't clean their pipe and fittings!

Will give it a try from now on.

Powerflow works to an extent but definitely clean your dirty ones. Laco and everflux work on anything.
Btw i absolutely hate powerglue :lol:

Powerflow works to an extent but definitely clean your dirty ones. Laco and everflux work on anything.
Btw i absolutely hate powerglue :lol:

When I was an apprentice I turned up with a pot of ever flux and he threw it in the bin, gave me some powerflow and said its my way or the highway lol

I don't really like everflux either. It makes me itch looking at it and i come out in a rash if i use it but it is a good flux if you can stand it. Probably the strongest of all the fluxes. That was one of the first self cleaning fluxes to appear on the market in the 80's. It has the old zinc chloride from the traditional flux mixed with ammonium chloride. It is the ammonia that gets me. I get the same if i mix some soot with water when doing back boilers (it makes ammonia) and i spent 10 years of my life rolling in soot.
Btw look up the coshh sheets on some fluxes. There is some serious bad stuff in some.

Which is why it is irrelevant Danny. Anyone doing this for a living doesn't need told how to do the basics. Everyone will do it their own way.
Makes me laugh when he Cihpe magazine has step by step instructions on how to make a joint :) :)

Honestly. I clean nothing but the very dirtiest of pipes and i know even then i don't need to but i do out of habit and because it is cheaper than a drain down. Never cleaned a fitting since around 1985 when self cleaning fluxes came out.

If you switch to traditional fluxes everything needs to be spotless or you will get leaks but it looks so much better.
My 1st 2 weeks in this trade was as a fittings polisher and tea maker. I've hated it ever since.
Btw i've used laco for 25 years.
I am going to give this a shot. I use Laco so no cchange needed there. Going to be quite scary at first but I can see how this could save a lot of time. I actually think I might make a compromise and just clean the pipe as I have lots of emery cloth to use up. Still will be time saving I bet

I never clean new pipe or fittings, power flow from a brush on pipe only then give it a twist on the way in.
If either have a patina careful cleaning is a must though.

Ever Flux will eat you. For years I've been ok with it, but seem to have become more sensetive to it over the past year. I've bought tubs of Laco in the past and given them away. I've not found it popular with other plumbers I've worked with. Powerflow is quite nice, but when Fernox bought it, they changed the recipe, and its not been as good since. I've still got sum tubs of the old formula (more yellow in colour than white).

power flow will clean very oxidized copper with no problems at all, id trust it over laco if you can get the fitting on.

power flow will clean very oxidized copper with no problems at all, id trust it over laco if you can get the fitting on.

Getting the fitting on is half the battle with powerflow :)
And 90% of the battle if you want it on full slip....:)

Interesting..I clean the pipe using a pipe cleaner; with a small brush apply flux to the pipe only and twist the fitting a few times...works for me.

At times apply it with my finger....much to the disapproval of the missus !

frabz-How-do-you-apply-your-flux-Properly-Not-Properly-Think-They-Do-I-642dc8.png

*Runs away*

I used to do fitting only. But this pushes flux into the pipe/fitting & contaminates the central heating system/hot/cold pipe work, mixer valves, so forth, if your on a big project & pipe work is going to remain dry for considerable time it will start to degrade the pipe work internally, ie verdigris, & can be quite a pain when you keep greeting green particles floating in your basin bath water, I know your supposed to flush everything through but that don't always happen. So it only goes on the pipe now

Wow this thread's still running ....& I keep coming back to read the latest lol

I do both pipe and fitting. I know its not correct, but its the way i was trained and became habit.

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock