Discuss How do I stand legally in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my sins over many years I have worked as a CH installer for several companies including British Gas (yes, I know that's not anything to be proud off)
Anyway I am now retired and no longer hold any kind of gas safe registration.
The job I would like to do is to replace the thermostat on my Thorn Olympic boiler.
To fit the probe means removing the boiler case, is this a no no seeing as the case seal is to prevent air intake and not exhaust output

I presume you will( like all the other gas engineers) have done your own servicing of the boiler over the years, you had the competency ( it doesn't just leave you) and if it's your own I think you can do it.

Surely if you no longer have the qualification then it is a clear No. Otherwise everyone will be doing it. We cannot advise for you to take the case off the boiler. But only that you should hire the services of a GSR. Hope that this helps.:)

you may have done these sort of jobs hundreds of times but the truth is you are no longer gas safe registered so you should not be touching it get a GSR in to sort it , your home insurance will be void also if there was a problem cheers kop

Anyway I am now retired and no longer hold any kind of gas safe registration.

It's time to let the next generation take over. The good news is it's a perfect opportunity for you to use

Looking for a Heating Engineer? Post Jobs Here

to find someone with a current ticket. Since you'll be able to spot a good 'un maybe consider giving the work to someone just starting up on their own?

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply, I guess the law is the law and there's no point arguing about that, but it does go against the grain when I know from experience that no matter how well qualified and no matter how many certificates someone has in some cases and I stress some cases, it don't mean a thing.
I have seen some unforgivable practices carried out by registered gas engineers and no doubt it still goes on today.
So I am somewhat apprehensive allowing a gas engineer who I don't know from Adam to work on my boiler.
Yes I could look over their shoulder all the time but that would depend on how big he/she is. I've no doubt that kind of intimidation could result in some sort of retaliation, but I would be prepared to risk that rather than put my family in danger.
Because I've been out of the game for so long I have another question you may be able to advise me on.
My Thorn Olympic could require some basic wiring so if I get a qualified heating engineer in to do this work, is it a legal requirement for them to leave me with an electrical installation certificate, BS76712008 or has this regulation changed?

always a grey area defining working on an appliance as a reward is normally required to be considered work. only saying.

however, if you know your stuff from years of working with BG you know the correct answer. surprised you asked on here for it, I know what i would do

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am somewhat apprehensive allowing a gas engineer who I don't know from Adam to work on my boiler.
Yes I could look over their shoulder all the time but that would depend on how big he/she is. I've no doubt that kind of intimidation could result in some sort of retaliation, but I would be prepared to risk that rather than put my family in danger.

You are worrying unecessarily. Employ a GSR, check their identity card lists the type of work required, and it'll work out fine.

My Thorn Olympic could require some basic wiring so if I get a qualified heating engineer in to do this work, is it a legal requirement for them to leave me with an electrical installation certificate, BS76712008 or has this regulation changed?

Some GSRs are also qualified to undertake some types of electrical work. Those that aren't will bring in an electrician for anything necessary.

If an Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Work Certificate is legally required, and it probably won't be if only a boiler is involved, you'll get one on completion of the work. Google 'Building Regulations Part P' for details. If a certificate is not mandated tell the electrician you'll want one anyway before they start and be willing to pay a bit extra.

I always thought you could undertake work on a gas fitting without registration if you are a competant person and receive no payment. Surely the OP is competant having been registered before and doing his own boiler he wont receive payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I stand legally in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back