Search the forum,

Discuss How do I clear an airlock in the central heating system after refilling? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty32

Hi all

What is the best way to get rid of an airlock on a F&E system as I have drained down the system and then refilled after changing a few rads to new ones?

I've bled all the rads i.e starting with the ground floor ones and then making my round to all the other rads on the bedroom and landing level?

Do I have to drain down again?? Any ideas and how to do it are much appreciated!

Many thanks

Have you opened all radiator valves,are all radiators affected

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time this happened to me I put a garden hose on the drain point and blasted mains water in the the pipework this cleared it. Open vented always a pain for air locks!

Is there an air bleed valve on a standpipe next to the motorised valve(s) that you have forgotten to bleed?

Fill slowly helps. Turn on pump but not boiler and close rad's all rads except furthest away. Do not let pump run dry. The idea is that the pump will push the water around the furthers part of the system then work back turning on and bleeding rads as you do. Can do it the other way as well. If the airlock is down the cold feed try blowing down the vent. You can sometimes crack the cold feed pipe union at the boiler and let air out. It all depends on where it is.

Hi all

I think its a combination of the lot to be fair!

1. The bathroom rad isn't getting hot and have bled every single radiator including that one!

2. I believe this system has a two 2x2 port valves so is it ok to move switch across without doing damage? So no I haven't open them in this case or closed them.

3. I think there is a bleed valve on the vertical standpipe by the HWC but it looks lime scaled up and with a green tinge which I didn't want to open in case I caused a mini flood and couldn't close it again! - Am I ok to open this?

Is it ok to use the hose pipe main like Duncan said above as I would wanna damage any components in the system especially if 2 port vales were closed etc?

Many thanks to all for your time

Martyn

Manually open both 2 ports, the lever is normally in the auto position but can be moved to the manual open position. vent from air vent, and the bleed screw on front of pump. job done

Again - thanks to all for being very informative!

This forum can be invaluable :yes:

Is it ok to use the hose pipe main like Duncan said above as I would wanna damage any components in the system especially if 2 port vales were closed etc?

Yes I've done it many times and it usually clears the airlock.

Slowly slowly catchy money and as eco suggested both valves manual. It can take a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I clear an airlock in the central heating system after refilling? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock