Search the forum,

Discuss How can I remove the cast iron drain pipe fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jged

Hi,

I live in a 50 year old house but have a problem removing the cast iron drain pipe fittings. The cast iron hopper at the top of the drain pipe has cracked and water is seeping down the wall.

I have in fact been able to smash the cast iron wall fixing with a hammer but the bolts securing the fixing will not move without I feel doing a lot of damage in the meantime!

The bolts are secured to the external wall inbetween the bricks in the actual mortar itself aas the photo shows.

Any help appreciated.

Jged

Attachments

• drainpipe.jpg
    drainpipe.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 55
angle grinder, or bang them side to side till they snap.
i actually took one out with a claw hammer once,b ut tough.
i bet bernie has shifted one or two before, they originate from victorian times lol.

You can try drilling either side of the fixing and then moving it about with a hammer. I wouldn't advise cutting them off and leaving them in as the remnant can rust and cause cracking.

Smack the collar with a lump hammer, to smash it out then if the lugs are still in one piece, with a nice sharp cold chisel split the lugs, try turning the pipe nails with a pair of grips if the turn try easing them out with a turning motion, if not drill the mortar out beside the nail, until they are free, the nails might be in timber plugs, the nails used to come some in about 3 sizes 3", 4" and god almighty long ones 6" long, if you are lucky and they are only 3" long they will only be in the wall by about an inch and a half

what do you mean victorian we were still using them (lcc drain pipe nails)in the late 1960s

what do you mean victorian we were still using them (lcc drain pipe nails)in the late 1960s

Do you remember the old wrought iron pipe nails??, if they snapped they had long grains of iron showing, at least the steel ones bent a lot before snapping, we used to drive home the nails with a Rawlplug jumper bit holder, then finish it off with a star mark from the jumper bit, for a bit of show

I wonder what the boys of today would do, if they were transported 50 years back in time, when it was all hand power, with no electric tools to help them

I wonder what the boys of today would do, if they were transported 50 years back in time, when it was all hand power, with no electric tools to help them
charge more,maybe a day rate?(whatever that is);)

charge more,maybe a day rate?(whatever that is);)

Any advance on 1/21/4, or one shilling and tupence farthing an hour, 51/2 day week, half seven start in the mornings, 54 hour a week, £3-4s-1 1/2p before stopages, thats what I was getting

Any advance on 1/21/4, or one shilling and tupence farthing an hour, 51/2 day week, half seven start in the mornings, 54 hour a week, £3-4s-1 1/2p before stopages, thats what I was getting

i started as an apprentice on £13 a week but i was 17 the other boy who started with me only got £6 as he was only 16 and on that i was shopping in oxford st every friday anyone else remember take six and lord john ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How can I remove the cast iron drain pipe fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock